Fallout 4 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Zweite93

Zweite93 Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X Core Edition
    Wut? Vanilla ground textures has 2048x2048 resolution.

2. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I never said that this was the best looking game around with very good textures. What i meant was the 4K sharpness. Stuff the would be blurry or aliased at 1080p or even 1440p is really sharp. Branches of the trees in the distance are really sharp. Hell even things like text is getting sharper and looks better. I don't know how to describe it, but the picture becomes very clean. It gets a nice finish.

3. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Member

GPU:
    Giga GTX 980Ti Xtreeeme
    Yeah increasing resolution makes a huge difference to pretty much every game, even ones not officially rendered at higher res.

State of Decay for example, even with the 'remaster' I was annoyed that they didn't enable higher than 1080p capability. Even though the game is only made at 1080p, once we were able to modify the settings to allow 1440/2160p, it makes a massive difference to the sharpness of the game, and yeah even lower res/detail textures look so much better.

Fallout 4 no exception. Once you see a game at those higher resolutions, it's hard to go back as it often looks blurry! I mainly play single player games so I'm happy with 30+ fps in almost every game, anything higher than 60 to me is overkill, although I do realise it makes a game feel darn smooth at higher frame rates.

4. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    For me 45 FPS is the lowest i can go without getting annoyed. The lower it gets from there, the more i get annoyed. I really can't play games at 30FPS anymore. I'm just too spoiled. :p

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015

5. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Member

GPU:
    Giga GTX 980Ti Xtreeeme
    Yeah I have Riva set to 50 but for more demanding games like this, it's on 40, and it's fine for me, especially to (try) to keep my top card temp down!

I have found some games do feel smoother at 30ish than others, yeah some are terrible at 30ish. As I said Fallout on 40 for me feels smooth.

Btw what's your brightness fix Rex? Is it a Reshade or something else?

6. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Look at page 14. It's a simple .txt file with a console command in it. It fixes the extreme brightness you get with AFR-friendly mode enabled. I even posted some comparison shots.

However, AFR-friendly mode has some problems you might not like.

* It did change a value in the .txt file, because some objects just reflected too much light. So if you decided to try it, please change the 1 right after 0.85 into a 0. ;) The command line should look like this "SHP 0 1.5 7 0.85 0 1.8 1 2.5 2"

7. someonelikeyou

someonelikeyou Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5500 XT
    I'm aware of that but I'd rather not mess with my RAM just to play one single game, it's kinda ridiculous. Hoping for a patch from bethesda to fix this retardation.

8. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Member

GPU:
    Giga GTX 980Ti Xtreeeme
    Ok yeah I might check it out, glad I'm not the only one who found the game so bright, although by the sound of it it's a CF problem...

Yeah as I said previously I've been using the Enhanced Wasteland Reshade, and I changed the gamma in SweetFx tonemap setting to 1.2 which I found darkens the game a bit more, which I felt it needed, so that you do need your torch at night! Much more immersive I feel.

But your txt file might still be handy even with the Reshade, cause yeah there are still some crazy bright reflections during the day. Cheers dude.

9. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
  10. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    The reason why it's locked...it's because I locked it at 35 via RTSS :D My custom resolutions with OCed LCD (75Hz) works absolutely fine in every game since I created those for my monitor (3 years ago)...even with my old 7850, since AMD Downsampling tool. There is a "trick" which allows using those custom res's via D-tool even now...

I'm using 1440p and 1530p (both 16x9: 2720 / 1.777777777777778 = 1530) via registry tweak. Not even using VSR :) And this "magic" 1530p is the max possible I can do with my 280x or even with my old 7850 on my monitor. IF I remember correctly, D-tool's max sup res is 1530p...

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
  12. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    It is good?working?

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Watch the video. Looks like it is.

14. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Tried it. In theory it's good...maybe for Intel it's good. But in practice I've got this:

- FPS hits fTargetFramerate value = FPS spike; leads to fShadowDrawDistMinFPS hits to set value; leads to FPS goes up
    - FPS goes UP = leads to fShadowDrawDistMax hits; wich leads to FPS spike

In the end I'm getting > FPS spikes with better "lowest FPS" at inferior shadow distance, ergo inferior gfx. Maybe on Intel "spikes" are nonexistent...dunno. But my guess its working good only in theory...cause those FPS spikes not equivalent to the smoothest gameplay. IMO...and in my testing experience of this mod.

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Adjust fShadowDrawDistMax. I found it reduces drawcalls a lot but FPS isn't changing :)

16. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Yeah i dont like the graphics trade off either... I get an extra ~3 frames from ShadowBoost even setting as low as fShadowDrawDistMin=500 as i get 50 frames avg, only stutter i get is using 1 of the reshades im testing, i get more impact from lowering god rays to medium gets me an extra 10 frames to be honest.

I find that min fShadowDrawDistMin=10000 to be acceptable, maxed 20000 to match Ultra in game fDirShadowDistance.

I'm also using ENb to increase gpu memory performance which is also helping. Waiting for Bethesda patch(s) drop and next AMD drivers which should be enough.

17. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Thoroughly tested everything already. Like @somemadcaaant already sad, those 3 more (or slightly more) FPS not worth spikes and stutter. But it's just me...if someone can stand those "issues" it's good...for them. Me? I like smoothness and fluid gameplay more than higher "lowest FPS"...

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I get spikes and stutter anyway during intense action parts of the game, running through towns being shot at etc. I'll give this mod a test.

19. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Does increasing resolution increase draw calls? Or if its CPU limitation will I get the same FPS regardless if I choose to supersample a bit?

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Resolution shouldn't effect drawcalls directly, it doesn't with the CPU overhead test. It could increase them due to other things... I haven't tested it.