Fallout 4 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Nov 9, 2015.

1. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I just realized that Bethesda doesn't really care about CrossFire/SLI. Don't expect CrossFire to work any time soon.

The elder scrolls online didn't have CrossFire, because there was no fullscreen mode at launch (only borderless fullscreen). It took them a long time to finally implement it.

The id****5 engine doesn't like more than one GPU, so no CrossFire/SLI for Wolfenstein and Rage.

I also read reports about Skyrim not having good multi-gpu support for a long time. I didn't have CrossFire back then, so i don't know if it's true.

Don't expect CrossFire to work with any bethesda game. Just be warned and don't pre-order Doom 4 as a CrossFire user. ;):p

2. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    [​IMG]

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  4. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Its nice to see improvements in minim fps and how things works with Gamewrecks GodRays Tessellated tech (which does look not bad).
    They are almost at the same performance.But Gtx 980TI is at maximum perf,FuryX still have time &resources to be improved.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

5. zeljkoni

zeljkoni Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX660 twin frozr OC
    Tested 15.11.1 with 290x + Haswell i5 3.6GHz on place where is ~37fps, did not help at all... GPU usage is up/down, CPU usage goes 60-80%, optimization is crap

Maximum tessallation as 16x

6. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Lowering Shadow distance to medium might help in those situations.

7. zeljkoni

zeljkoni Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX660 twin frozr OC
    Yes now its fine, with medium, constant 60 there

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    you dont need to force tess to 16x any more, there is a new profile in 15.11.1 that fixes it.

9. Zweite93

Zweite93 Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X Core Edition
    Try to overclock your ram to 2133mhz or higher.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT

11. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Ive done 4x2GB 2000mhz CAS 9 sticks with an i5 2500k CPU on that motherboard before.

You should be fine for 2x4 or 2x8 2133mhz. Depending on your CPU's IMC. Still, the mobo handled it fine.

12. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    The profile in 15.11.1 directly addresses tesselation?
    Just wondering if we have a source for this. Does the profile automatically force 16x tess now or something?

13. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
  14. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Yep, I haven't found big difference between different tesselation levels either. It's not gameworks in this game that causes stalls. Just too much drawcalls occasionally for this engine. Especially on AMD hardware.

15. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    there was a big difference in tess on 15.11

16. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Copy that.

I didn't bother messing with tess on 15.11 so I don't have a proper frame of reference. Gonna try though with 15.11.1... 3fps is 3fps ;)

EDIT: May have gained that 3 fps by manually switching to 16x w/ 15.11.1 it's kinda hard to tell when you're counting pennies. :)

17. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    I'm just wondering here...how this game feels in windows 10? And in general...does AMD gpu's (or even cpu's) performs any better in 10? Compared to 8.1 ofc. I mean, 10586 is out...should I even bother atm? =) ...anyone with firsthand experience?

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I didn't see a difference going from 8.1 to 10, 10 to 10 TH2. But that's because I was running Windows 10 drivers before hand before they released the CPU overhead optimized drivers for the rest. WDDM 2.0 was supposed to make a difference but I don't see it.
    I upgraded for DX12.

19. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I just fixed the brightness issue of AFR friendly mode. It turns out that bloom is increased alot if you enable AFR friendly mode. I fixed this with some console commands.

-> Download this .txt file (contains the commands): http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=01177407222545874676
    -> Put the file in the fallout4.exe folder
    -> Start the game
    -> open the console
    -> typ "bat 1" AFTER you loaded a savegame for the first time. This is very important, because if you do it before, your screen gets black once your savegame is loaded (restart is the only fix). Once you loaded a savegame for the first time, it doesn't matter if you load another savegame. You can even go back to the main menu and load a savegame from there.

Once you close the game, all values will switch back to 'normal'. This means that you need to reapply the console commands everytime you start the game.

I haven't played the game alot with this fix. So it there might be some problems. Ambient occlusion is still bugged (maybe it can also be fixed by console commands), but if it bugs you to much, you can simply disable it. Don't use TAA, FXAA is fine, but TAA doesn't work correctly.

I hope this helps. I'm just going to test this some more.

If you want you can tweak the console commands in the 1.txt file yourself. There are 9 values in the 1.txt file. Some values don't seem to do anything. They have no impact on the games visuals (or maybe they have in situations i haven't encountered yet).

Value 1 doesn't seem to do anything. Setting this value to high will result in a black screen. Restart of the game is required.

Value 2 and 3 also don't seem to do anything. Setting value 3 to 0 will result in a white screen.

Value 4 did had an effect on a light bulb. Not sure what it is.

Value 5 is light reflection strength. Setting it higher than 1 will make the reflection to strong.

Value 6 seems to be HDR

Changing value 7 didn't do anything for the visuals.

Value 8 is definitely bloom. Like i said before, this is what caused the game to become extremely white/bright.

Value 9 also has a huge impact on the visuals. I don't know what it does, but setting this to low will make trees white. I don't know what value fallout 4 is using, but i set it to 2. I know for sure the game normally uses a lower value.

Even if you don't use CrossFire. You can use the console commands to change it. I made the 1.txt in AFR Friendly mode. So using it for single GPU's could negatively impact the visuals.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  20. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Some comparison shots

No console commands
    [​IMG]

With console commands
    [​IMG]

No console commands
    [​IMG]

With console commands
    [​IMG]

No console commands
    [​IMG]

With console commands
    [​IMG]

Im running the game in 4K by the way. I hope AFR friendly mode isn't causing to much problems while playing. I will report back as soon as i find something.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015