Download and Discuss Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by HerrFornit, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    In 3dmark overhead test, your cpu mostly does drawcalls only. There ain't any AI or other physics stressing that same cpu core. So basicly whole cpu budget is spent for drawcalls only. While in realgame there is tons of other stuff cpu needs to do at the same time.

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    That's why we need DX12... Yesterday.

3. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Just to make raw calculations. My 3770k@ 4.3GHz gives me 40% gpu usage in that scene. If I would want to get 100% usage, I would need to clock my cpu to 10.75GHz, if everthing else in computer would scale in 1:1 ratio aswell (would most likely need a lot faster memory than DDR3 2400MHz to feed 10GHz cpu :p )

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Or use a higher resolution?

5. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    So everything needs to be done by one thread? If so, what are my other 7 threads doing in fallout 4?

Fact is that my GPU gets bottlenecked. At the town where the cambridge police station is located my GPU usage dropped to 65 procent while looking in a certain direction. It even did that while is was in a building and looking in that direction. If i set shadow distance to medium, everything runs fine. Strange thing is, there aren't that much shadows. I really got the feeling that the game is sometimes rendering alot stuff you cannot even see (like shadows). Sounds like something that could be optimized.

6. totikk

totikk Guest

GPU:
    hd7800 /2gb
    After install on Win_10_x64_(1511) I can't start CCC... No errors, just no start at alll...
    Any suggestion ?
    P.S. Catalyst 15.11 work normally ...

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    They are doing stuff :D

8. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Well Fallout 4 have some GW tech who make Amd cards to not perform well.And dont forget the old Gamebryo engine,rusty old engine.
    In short this game is not for benchmarking against/with Gtx cards.Not worth it.

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    GameWorks hurts AMD performance a lot due to Tessellation. You can turn that down. It seems FPS drops are directly connected with drawcalls in Fallout 4 and that's an AMD situation because of their CPU overhead, when compared to NVIDIA.

10. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    It's really time that games start using DX12.:p

11. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    No, not everything is done by one thread, but mainthread has hardest job by far. Yes, lowering shadow distance has huge effect on drawcalls

12. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Well I just used 1080p for this test. I do run VSR normally.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    DDU

After unninstall and DDU the 15.11.1 CCC was not installed here, i ran the installer from c:/amd/cc2 and i got it.

14. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    sort of.

There is only one submission thread in dx11. Just like dx10 and dx9.

the other threads are collecting stuff and feeding it to the submission thread.

Anyway you slice it though, its still a single thread submitting batches to the GPU, and can only submit them as fast as that single thread can go. Inefficiencies in the GPU architecture are going to have an effect on that submission speed as well.

Nvidia being more efficient at serialized workloads clearly has an advantage here, hence the perceived driver overhead, which is really just GCN being less efficient at serialized workloads.

DX12 allows concurrent (asynchronous) thread submission and breaks the reliance on a single thread doing all the work if the engine is properly optimized to do so.

Just because its there, doesn't mean these jokers will use it.

lol

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  15. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    So if the DX11 works the same for every game engine then what is the difference between a good optimized DX11 game like BF4 and a poor one like Fallout 4 ? how a single thread is feeding so good the card in one game and in another is starving it so bad?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Games are all made differently with different engines.

17. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
  18. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    bf4 uses a good engine, made with dx11 in mind, while fallout 4 uses a very old engine, with modern features tacked on, but the engine itself was made before dx11 average work loads were known.

Same is with call of duty blops 3. pilling up modern features on ancient code, and ending up using enormous resources because the engine itself was not programmed with dx11 workloads in mind.

19. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I've had the same glitches with Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta on my Radeon HD7970Ms on certain maps. Turning down the details from Ultra to High helped. I haven't been playing around with the individual settings to see which one is the one that causes it exactly when set on Ultra.

It's fine on Nvidia cards and the 358.91 GeForce drivers, though (tested with Titan X and two GTX 680s in SLi), so it could be an AMD specific problem.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  20. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF