Fallout 4: PC graphics performance review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 10, 2015.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Its actually turning out better than I expected. Didnt like the 1st hour of the game but things started getting much better after. No issues in performance so far, although I have some reservations on some aspects of the graphics. Wish I had the patience to wait 6 months for it when I'm sure it will be in a much better state with mods and patches.

2. Balala

Balala Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    Didnt receive my disc yet :( :( :(

3. Vandrell

Vandrell Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    Good to know it doesn't need a bazillion GPUs and isn't an unoptimized drek like Arkham Knight.

4. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Yep this is the best thing of Fallout 4.Still no awful bugs.Some glitches maybe,some tweaks to do,but not big bugs found in FONV at launch.

5. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    DO you know the conditition for been able to licence it ? and you cant change it, you cant share it, and you cant use it.. so why licence it ? You cant even debug the performance, as the debuggers of gamework work only with Nvidia driver linked to it.

And even if the game developpers was able to report the performance debug, why will you Nvidia cares of then change the dll of the gamework for it..lol.

( I allready see the developpers of Bethesda asking to Nvidia guys if they can optimize a bit better the performance of Godrays for AMD gpus as it kill their performance... seriously.. )

You can pay 250K for have it, but in reality, developpers will just use the 2 engineers from Nvidia for read it to them ( and its free )

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The implementation of God Rays in GW is pretty well documented. It essentially just renders a grid in the sky, tessellates it and offsets the vertices. Kind of like a shadow map. Tessellation is ued to optimize the grid to the geometry in the scene. They do it this way because it's easier then the volumetric approach -- which needs to be setup for completely different scenes. If you ever used the light shafts system in Cryengine 2/3 (uses volumetric) it's extremely limited in implementation and requires a bunch of work to make it look good. The geometry method is a catch all approach that's easily inserted into any scene.

AMD's suffers because it's tessellation performance, even on the Fury X, is lagging behind Nvidia's offerings. At first I thought Nvidia could lower the tessellation factor to help offset the impact at ultra -- but that's effectively what the quality stepping is doing. And if you look at the difference between Ultra/High it's pretty clear that a high factor is necessary for proper rays through dense/complex materials. Regardless, even if AMD had access to the source it wouldn't really benefit them. It's a tessellation based effect and AMD's architecture just isn't designed for tessellation.

7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Where'd you get those licensing terms/information from?

8. Rexob

Rexob Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 870m 3gb
    Razer Blade 2014

I'm using the Razer Blade 2014 and running the game at a pretty solid 60fps on tweaked Medium settings where I've basically turned down all of the view distance settings; Textures are on High with everything else Medium.

1600x900
    i7 2.2 / 3.2ghz Hyper Threading
    8gb DDR3 1600mhz
    870m 3gb

And for those scoffing - I didn't pay full retail.

9. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Didnt go very far in the game for this review did you?

Performance tanks once you get to Corvega Plant and Diamond City.

So much so I had to stop playing. Another broken engine from Bethesda.... how surprising.

10. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Your PC is slightly better then mine and the Corvega Plant had very little impact on my PC, haven't been to Diamond City yet, enjoy some wandering. Even in Boston, the comic store, it runs well, 53-53 FPS but only for a few seconds and with a bunch of Raiders attacking me.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I passed the Corvega plant level with a 970 easily, on a quad-core PC.

12. Pineapple

Pineapple Guest

GPU:
    7950 boost
    Playing for 12hrs+ on 7950 boost overclocked another 10%.....runs well overall, some brief stutter/loading, but at this stage, any $300 GPU can handle this fine at 1080p MAXED, godrays low, shadows med.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Heh, waiting for the following discussion on what 'maxed' actually means.

14. Pineapple

Pineapple Guest

GPU:
    7950 boost
    It'll be a futile discussion as despite the godrays on low, they're overwhelming at times, so no need to upgrade a GPU for the sake of playing it on ultra.

15. Arend.C

Arend.C Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    Plays smooth on ultra/high once I disabled godrays.

16. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Should have mentioned I was using my 970m. My desktop is currently having WC installed (taking me way too long, lol).

It's backed by a 4710mq @ 3.7ghz. I have no bottlenecks whatsoever. When I see these FPS drops, first off its only with Shadow Distance above Medium. Second my GPU usage is always below 70% when these frame drops occur, CPU at 60% max as well.

It's a bug, it happens on every PC I've seen play this game or personally played this game on myself. However I have not seen it run on desktop with Maxwell however I am positive it will perform the same.

This bug manifests itself in such a way that you can look down or right or left very slightly and have the FPS tank only while looking in certain directions. I'm talking like a few millimeters. Scene complexity is NOT the issue.

There's no way you went through the middle of the town there around the plant without FPS drops using anything but medium Shadow distance.

It's a bug and it happens to every PC out there. Not saying you had FPS drops for sure, however if you are saying you did that with Shadow Distance higher than medium it goes against everything Ive read and experienced in this game. I have spent HOURS and HOURS testing my laptop, my friends PC and another PC of mine and this happens every single time, on every PC with Shadows Distance above medium.

There is just no getting around it. If you have found something I have missed, cough it up HH! LOL.

:)

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Doesn't change much about the understatement of the term maxed out. Yes we had this discussion already, it's just making me chuckle because it reminds me of it.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    It does happen, but it seems to be random/system specific regardless of hardware. Peps on 980ti/titans are getting it, but then others with the same cards are not.

HH could have been in the camp that didnt. I cant imagine HH lying about it (not that you accused him of doing so), he more frequently than any other tech site owner, calls out bull****.

You are right though about:
    "This bug manifests itself in such a way that you can look down or right or left very slightly and have the FPS tank only while looking in certain directions. I'm talking like a few millimeters. Scene complexity is NOT the issue."

Ive put it down to some camp/barrel fires and other light sources.

Earlier today i was walking around outside just fine, entered a small businesses building (loading screen entry, not some simple shack) and the fps just tanked to 25~ and stays there untill you go to a room out back. Theres nothing special about this lobby area other than the light source which is simply a couple of small show room lights pointing at a company logo. They dont even cast shadows.

The other places the fps always drop are up on some of the broken highway bridges/overpasses where bandits have setup amongst trucks and built little huts/look out onto them. Theres always a barrel fire or tire fire and fps tanks (even if you kill of all the bandits there) as long as you're looking at it and it doesn't matter from what side or distance.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  19. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    No crashes, no crazy bugs (that I have witnessed yet), performance is smooth and at 60FPS most of the time..

Graphics are a lot more solid than some people are giving credit for on this forum. The weather looks amazing, radioactive storms and foggy sunsets make the environment come alive.

The gameplay is simply fallout, if that's not for you then move along, same reason I'm not playing animal crossing

Going to wait until I am further through it to rate it (currently only 15 hours) but I'm having the same levels of fun I had when playing TW3, 2015 as been a good year for RPGs in my book

20. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I have everything set to ultra except no AA, 1440p.

I just went to the car plant and ran around it for 10 minutes, the lowest FPS I hit was 45FPS and it lasted about 10 seconds, there was some texture load happening when it did. Out of the whole 10 minutes I had maybe 30-40 seconds where it was between 45-60FPS, the rest of the time it was 60FPS. I came at the plant from every angle, from top to bottom.

One good thing of this 10 minute excursion was I found a bobble head I had missed.