People upgrading in 2015, what phone are you getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    bought z5 green version. so stylish. but fcking telephone is getting hot. in stamina mod battery still sht. and finger print doesn't work properly.

My note 5 is doing better. fck u sony u fooled me. :(

2. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Fingerprint hopefully will work better once marshmallow update comes for Z5 if they use google proper API.

Definite shame about the battery and heat (Good old 810 problems), which version did you get premium or standard Z5?

3. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Nothing to do with sony to be honest. The 810 is a disaster of cpu from day one. You either deal with the heat or heavy throttling which defeats the purpose of using it in the first place. I hope the 820 is better

4. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    That's strange, I can't get the Z5 to heat up anywhere as hot as my iP6 or old Z. It seems to throttle way before the back of the phone gets "hot". It does get warm however. As for the fingerprint sensor, due to the profile of the sensor, you might have to position your finger more similar to how you recorded it. I found that by moving your finger around more when recording it that it can read it more reliably.

Battery wise, about a day and a half on moderate usage.

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i got standard version. oddly i can't understand when it gets HOT. i mean it once got hot while applying some updates of apps.

then surfing the Instagram.

in stamina mod no heat issues.

and why they removed that great Z3 option = while u stand still and try to lay on a bed lets say, phone won't flip the screen. THING.

what was it called. its GONE. shame.

edit: and i agree u must recognize your finger BETTER. i did it believe me. sure ia may made some vistas but samsung fixed it on NOTE 5. APPLE has no issues at all.

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i gave another shot to Z5. expected an OS update ,fix etc. nut nope. just camera app etc. lame.

still HOT as fck even on stamina mode. in normal conditions. :( . in battery management app it says 6 days but it drops from 96 to 88 in just 7 minutes of non APP usage. iam in settings etc. is this normal ?

7. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    That doesn't sound normal at all.

One thing I have found with my old Sony phone and the Mrs new Z3 Compact is that it gets very hot straight after setup for a while as it restores apps and settings and then (if you've got it installed) sorts out google photos backup.

This should stop after a while though.

Have you checked on XDA forums? Perhaps see if others have had similar issues.

8. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Yeah, that is not normal at all. What other applications do you have running?

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    well i check running apps. just normal OS android stuff. i even started to delete her useless crap.
    i use same apps as i do on NOTE 5. i copied all from NOTE 5 anyway. and i thought in stamina mod is cuts down other apps process.

hmm.wait...was there something BACKUP my phone thing everyday? via wifi and it east processes power maybe? let me see.

10. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Stamina mode as far as i've always understood it purely works to save battery when the phone is not in use not to save power when the phone is running.

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    One hundred percent correct.

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    GOSH. k guys. thank for making clear.

and wtf i just saw on internet.

BLACKBERRY PRIV.....android phone which is slick stylish and has physical keyboard. OH HELL YEAH.

even blackberry passport was catching my attention.

13. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    You should read the arstechnica review for it. Seems like it they didn't build it very well.

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    hmm. will do.

and also at midnight right now and battery is %48. i dont get it. it goes down fast during day. then slowed battery drain. this is my first time properly used a full charge from 8 ofg the morning to midnight. really odd. i dont get this phone.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Normally I am a Blackberry diehard, but this version of the PRIV is going to get a pass. The camera is not all that important to me, but when I want to take a picture because of the convenience, it should be there. The issue with it is that they used a hardened plastic instead of tempered glass. The lens scratches quite easily. To be fare, they never were much on cameras.

Once I read how bedside mode could be simulated, was sold. Then this camera issue surfaced.

16. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Best phone on the planet by a wide margin. Nothing LOOKS, or even compares in performance. 4GB DDR4 RAM nuff said.

It ls an amazing phone. Enjoy. Message me when you have battery life issues and I'll get you more battery life than you every imagined an Android phone can do.

17. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    It's not bad, for a phone. Starting the camera app could be faster, colours are nice. But there's a lot of sharpening going on and not much detail left when you zoom in to full size.

That said, I'm probably not the best person to ask because I use a 5DIII normally, so I can't help but find the photos from any smartphone rather horrid.

Also, re: overheating, I've never had mine get above mildly warm, and I have used it to film 4k for ~10 minutes.

18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Yeah heard about the overheating but then if you watching something on your phone for more than 30 mins seems a bit odd, well I never do.

And read some comments that the camera not quite as good as thought.

Am gonna wait a yr or so before getting a new phone.

19. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I wonder how the GS7 will be as well as G5, if SD820 will be as good as Exynos 8890, we gonna have amazing devices.

Note 5 can't be beaten, but can be improved by restoring some features that were removed, most likely SD card will make comback.

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Note 5 is amazing. i can't say it has any kind of issues.

but what about Blackberry Priv android phone? is is good? reviews r mixed.