Samsung Galaxy S7 Premium Gets 14-Core GPU, 4K Display

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Story doesn't exist? But :banana: if true! Looking forward to 4K Gear VR goodness! Couldn't care less about the rest. :infinity:

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I wouldn't believe that - rather than that, the new Exynos 8890 and Snapdragon 820 are more likely.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Story doesn't exist (yet). Then again, have fun with that energy usage and battery life, for no obvious gain.

5. meran

meran Guest

GPU:
    sapphire 5850 2gb @850
    Samsung really need to fix the standby power it drains so much, my s6 is horrible.....we really need 8k screen for 5" phone now i know why android lost market share to apple....

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    S6 has extremely power-efficient CPU. The most of the drain is related to apps running in background. You can try disabling/removing some of them. Unfortunately, there's a lot of useless software bundled with Samsung phones. If the drain is a result of phone trying to connect to various towers because of poor connection, you can't do much about it.

7. meran

meran Guest

GPU:
    sapphire 5850 2gb @850
    you are right, especially the damn facebook app,,, but i only get 3 hours screen in 12 hours on battery time when i bought it i used to get 4 hours with 12-16 hours

8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Lets make 4000mah battery to improve life performance....

WAIT, let's improve our close to perfect screen, with 4K to kill the new battery, so it perform even WORSE than previous generation.

seriously i hope they slap big battery and stay 1440p, I can't imagine how better the SD820 and M1 will be than Exynos 7420.

9. Segamon

Segamon Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    what we need is a battery that breathes and charge on oxygen. seriously though, it would be great if they can engineer better batteries tech.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh they can, but it's costly I'd say.

11. Phyxsyus

Phyxsyus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Can android even take advantage of that much cores???

12. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    still using S3
    Battery lasts on standby about 2 weeks.

13. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    what's the power difference between 1440p and 4k?

14. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Talk about overkill...
    In the mean time the new iPhone has:
    CPU Dual-core 1.84 GHz Twister
    GPU PowerVR GT7600 (six-core graphics)

And it's flying, no stutters, hanging or out of memory freezes.

i'm not an Apple fan, but i have to say, i became less stressed since i got my iPhone compared with Samsung or any other crappy brands out there.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    In non-gaming it will probably be lower, despite what people will say. The N4's QHD display was 15% more power efficient than the N3's 1080p one. The Note 5's display is 21% more efficient than the Note 4's.

In gaming that efficiency will probably drop, obviously on the GPU side of things -- but they most likely won't run games at 4K. They'll take the Sony Z5 Premium route and just run all demanding content at 1080P scaled up.

People also have to remember that the sub-pixel resolution on Pentile AMOLED displays is lower than LCD equivalent. Depending on the colors of the image, some images are actually below 1080p resolution on Samsung's QHD screen. Red and Blue's for example have half the number of pixels as green. So Samsung is somewhat inclined to boost resolution over it's LCD competitors + they are most likely driving these displays to 4K VR experiences, which is a big reason for producing them.

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    1440= 2560*1440.
    4k= 4096*2160.

x1.5+-, take in account playing games on PC in 4k, u need very expensive gear, and even that is not satisfactory.

On phone, lol playing angry birds 0 will drain your battery 10% at a minute, if not more.

Unless, the screen will change resolution on the fly, when playing it will be 1440P, when watching youtube it might change to 4k.

17. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I jumped too man. I was always a rom'er and I love android but I can't deal with the stupidly small amount of battery life. I made the jump too. I miss things, but it's worth the stability and efficiency.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's funny because Samsung's phones would actually be this way too if they didn't have ****ty touchwiz on them. I mean they can get decent battery life and their processor isn't half bad either. But TouchWiz janks everything up and despite all it's performance it drops frames constantly. Plus their over aggressive memory culling is stupid. The fact that a 2 year old Nexus 5 has better multitasking than a Galaxy S6 is sad.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Samsung should not include it anyway, but it's more because of Facebook. Facebook drains battery life, even on iOS.

4k is overkill too!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  20. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    This. Its obviously very cool tech, but in real world totally useless and makes other stuff like screen refresh rate, heat and battery life worse. Things which actually do matter.