Fallout 4 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Nov 9, 2015.

1. dasa2

dasa2 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290@1200 MCW60
    good to know its not 32it anymore that will leave modders room to move with textures
    no idea why they uses such low quality textures then it seems even current consoles should be able to handle better than that

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    The matter of the fact is that they don't. Its not a matter of GPU power but CPU power in consoles.

If you saw the render distance pictures of the PS4 in the other thread you know what i'm talking about.

3. dasa2

dasa2 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290@1200 MCW60
    higher quality textures doesn't affect cpu performance much in my experience mostly its limited by the quantity of ram\vram and to a lesser extent memory bandwidth

but yes view distance is very cpu intensive with the geometry detail for terrain and objects

4. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Ok i've been testing a lot more and reducing shadow distance from medium to high game me +15/20fps on my system.
    I was severely bottlenecked on the concord while looking through the church outside to the street at 34fps with gpu usage of 70/80%
    Reducing shadow distance from high to medium jumped to 50/55fps and gpu usage of 90/95%

The rest of the distance and lod settings didn't change many fps/bottleneck.

Still runs awesomely for a such old system.
    Take a look
    http://1drv.ms/1lpauYP

5. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Wow impressive mod! What did you use to stick them on and how much did your temp drop by?

Good that you are using the zalman with the open bottom. A mate of mine decided to drill holes into the bottom since he didn't have any removable covers.

ThrottleStop is also a good idea. I will try that next.

There is something in the game which really taxes my device. Not sure what it is but it affects dungeons the most. Probably a shader of sorts.

I figure AMD / Bethesda will work it out.

6. Zweite93

Zweite93 Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X Core Edition
    This was the same spot on same time, so yes, I'm sure.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    My CPU can't seem to be able to drive to my 4x4 Corsair Vengeance for more than 1600 CL9. Or I'm a total noob at memory OC. Or both. In any case, is a 1600 CL9 memory considered "fast" or "ok"?

8. Gapster

Gapster Guest

GPU:
    2xSapphire R9 290x Tri-x
    For sticking i used russian Alsil-5 thermal glue. As for temps it's a long story: 1st i had i3 2330m 2.2Ghz, and it start to throttle when goes 82c. Zalman cooling pad with opened bottom help to lower temp for 10-15c/without opened bottom 2-3c. But, when i go gaming videocard+cpu go>82 even with cooling pad, so first mod was half-year ago: that was all radiators except one big with many edges near RAM, and after this temps never goes upper than 72. Some time ago i update cpu (+10w heat), and it goes well with linpack e.t.c and most games, but when i played "armored warfare", after 2 battles, 1 core go >100c and my laptop turned off. Then i added that last radiator. Today i played 3 battles in Armored Warfare, and max temp on 1 core was 87c. OFC all temps was with opened bottom and cooling pad. And i hope we will have some patch from bethesda and AMD and i can play some Fallout 4 on laptop, cause i selled my r9 290x's, and for now do not want to buy new cards.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  9. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I'm not an expert myself, but your motherboard supports speeds upto 2133mhz. Your cpu should also be able to handle those speeds. So i guess it's the memory that is holding you back here. You might be able to squeeze more performance out of them, but it could also be possible that 1600mhz is the max your memory can handle.

1600mhz is the highest non-overclocked DDR3 speed you can get. Everything above that is overclocked. I can select a XMP profile in my BIOS, so i get the speeds my memory is rated for.

Don't ask me for any tips, because i have no clue how to overclock memory correctly. All i know is that you need to reset your bios if you are lowering your timing to much, because your pc won't boot otherwise.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It also depends on the mobo real capacities when all the memory slots are occupied.

Initially i had only 16 GB (2x8) DDR3 CL7 (G.Skill TridentX PC3-12800 16GB Dual-Channel), they were at 1600 Mhz without problems and 1866 Mhz with some problems.

When i added another 2 sticks of the same brand, model and specs i wasn't able to pass 1333.

In the review i linked they were able to do a stable OC of 2400 Mhz in this memory sticks.

11. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    In reviews of his motherboard i saw that the four slots support up to 16 GB of 2133mhz memory.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I mean real capacities, not advertised.

There is also the user factor: it's very posible that i'm unable to fine tune the RAM OC changing his timings and voltage because i'm a tool OC'ing RAM.
    :)

13. DavidGX

DavidGX Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Fury X
    I guess we're really not going to get any Crossfire support until the next official driver release =/

14. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Not CFX/SLI are enabled in this game.
    Unfortunatelly the performance in towns are worst than i thought.Amd Radeons or Nvidia Gtx are in the same boat,the game needs some patches to have more than 25-30fps in Lexington or other town.

15. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I'd be very surprised to get another driver out of AMD before Crimson (coming on the 24th IIRC).

Even with Crimson, I wouldn't be especially surprised if there's no CF support for FO4 or if it's terrible. Wouldn't be the first time we've had to wait a long time for CF. Some games like Witcher 3 are still broken to a great extent and initial CF profiles were even worse.

16. dasa2

dasa2 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290@1200 MCW60
    not uncommon im afraid
    nvidia took 3 months to release a sli profile for witcher2 but it was broken it took them another 9 months to get sli working

hope for optimisations soon and if you get cf as well consider yourself very lucky

17. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Yeah, I know very well how common it is. This year was especially terrible in that regard. Personally, I don't much care about FO4 (I'm not the biggest Bethesda fan around), but I do care about how AMD (do not) support major titles.

18. biggyca

biggyca Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Well, we should expect more new drivers in first quartal of 2016, because Square Enix is releasing new titles (Tomb Raider,Deus Ex, HITMAN)

19. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    AMD had to rebuild the software & work on the drivers which take time to do & they miss Fallout 4 deadline for the drivers. also the game runs fine 75fps to 50's but what is funny is that big area the game runs fine but small area the game framerate drops a lot. I stop playing until AMD release the driver.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  20. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    On my current setup I get 60fps unless an area I just entered is loading. Even with like, 30 ghouls chasing me the FPS stayed between 50 and 60.