COD: Black Ops 3 PC graphics performance review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    World at War was at least as good, if not better (in my point of view much better) than Modern Warfare. Black Ops 1 was a truly great game also.

So in total, I had more "good" games throughout the series than bad games. Guess most people feel the same and thus keep buying these games.

2. Pixelize

Pixelize Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X
    Agree, but recently they are not as good as they used to be back in the days or FPS games just raise the bar so much and we want more and more...
    But again FPS + military and no destructible world = S H I T these days at least for me.
    We have the processing power to do that, maybe not for multiplayer yet because of the difference in the users systems but at least in single player to have a setting to chose the amount of destruction or something.

3. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Destruction, well. I don't like the semi-destructible levels of Battlefield, at all, for example. Either go full blast, like Red Faction,
    Or leave it out to keep it "sport", like CoD or CS.

4. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Here is proof Hyperthreading on i7's with 6 and 8 cores is broke, maybe Hilbert can do some tests and get this a little attention.

Test System : i7 4930k @ 4.3ghz, 32 GB DDR3 @2400mhz, 3 290x's, windows 10 pro

Res 2560x1440

Settings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test 1 - Hyperthreading ON

[​IMG]

Test 2 Hyperthreading OFF

[​IMG]

Test 3 Hyperthreading off with textures and shadow cranked up to extra

[​IMG]

and here is Hyperthreading ON test in Blue overlaid with test 2 and 3.

[​IMG]

Things to note look at the scale for frametimes with HT ON! It has to go up to 1000ms just to fit the frametime peaks in, and also look at the minimum framerate 13 fps!

Anyway, if you are experiencing stutters with a system that should crush the game turn off hyperthreading.

5. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Where did you test this, single- or multiplayer?
    Did you try to run the tests with motion blur off also?

6. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Tested in SP, same spot in campaign. The SP seems to be where most people have problems. I can run the test with motion blur off, if you'd like but it's the same issue with HT on.

7. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Just an idea, as motion blur seems to be related to several issues too.

The other thing I don't understand is if HT was a troublemaker, why were i7 and i3 the two CPUs that ran fine right away, while the i5 needed two patches to work correctly?

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Actually I already mentioned that in the conclusion. What's that tool you show the screenshots on btw ?

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    At first sight it remembered me FLA Calculator i guess it's a soft from the same people, Bench Studio 2015 GPU:

http://webwalkers.cz/Windows/BenchStudio/BenchStudio.aspx

edited...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  10. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    its bench studio, from the maker of FLA calculator. It's in beta right now (anyone can get in). It's very good at collating and presenting the data, and a lot of options for making it visually appealing. I am just using default though, because I am lazy. It's also a database, so it's nice for saving all the data and comparison.

http://www.webwalkers.cz/Windows/BenchStudio/BenchStudio.aspx

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

11. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Just wanted to say, they released a patch today, and it completely fixed the hyperthreading issue. Game runs flawless here now. HT is back on

look how tight the frametimes are, that is pretty great imo for 3 gpu's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Thanks to share! :)

I don't use Steam for this game so updates must be applied manually.

Steam auto-update feature is a big + for them.

13. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    You don't use Steam for this game? Very funny.

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Maybe... Do you prefer me using it?

Last time i checked we still have the right to use games on PC without Steam.

Pardon me to don't fill your expectation of game usage.

:)

I didn't knew that this game has not Steam auto-update because it uses his own in-game updater.

I tought it was like other titles like GTA V who are updated from Steam itself.

I don't use to wait at games dasboards waiting for their advices about avalaible updates i simply load savegames and play.

15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    The game is Steam-only, so there's but one solution to what you're saying: using stolen software.
    And no, I'm not fine with that.

16. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I respect your opinion but i have mine.

About "stolen software", it's like customs and moral: it depends on where you live and the local laws.

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Well, no. It has nothing to do with moral. That's a lame excuse.

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I must disagree because in my opinion it has all to do with moral, customs and country laws.

Maybe you will reconsider your point of view (or not) after you read my excuse in his long version::wanker:

If you define the act of downloading data in non legally regulated ways as "stolen software" somebody must be able to define the exact value of the "stolen" data and the exact value of the loss of profit for the legal owner of the copyright.

What is the value of the "stolen" data or the loss of profit for the owner of the copyright when i will never have the will to spend a cent on it even if the legally regulated options to get it were the only available and i don't redistribute it with profit or make any kind of economical profit from its use?

This value equals to zero.

Maybe reducing this to the absurd with a simple example could explain it better:

Let's say i download to my PC disk all Ubish*t AC series that i will never have the will to spend a cent on it even if the legally regulated options to get it were the only available.

What is the copyright holder loss of profit if i only download them and don't play them?

ZERO

And in the case i play them?

Also ZERO, because i will never spend a cent acquiring the bytes from them or from anybody who act in their behalf.

I don't know the relative point of view about this subject in your country moral, customs or laws but this must be the reason that in my country the fact of downloading data without the copyright owner permission is not a misdemeanor, felony or crime.

However in my country the web sites who get profit from these downloads via ads (or any other way) or companies who use the downloaded software to have profit are subject of persecution by law.

Because in this last case there is an economical profit for them who is not pay to the copyright owner of the software.

Don't worry here in my country we have our part of nonsense, our "beloved" government has recently set a tax over the sun.

Really, over the fu***** sun!

I you get energy from solar panels that you own to use it in your house or business you must pay a tax based on the REALLY lame excuse that you generated a profit loss to the energy companies who normally distribute it to each house and business.

Now that's not funny at all.

:3eyes:

P.S: If you are very interested in this subject and want to continue it via PM or in the General Chat forum i will but i think this is not the place or the thread to discuss it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  19. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    You started talking about stolen software. Not me.

And yes, if you gain access to something that would "normally" require some financial transaction, you are in fact stealing something.

The other thing, and that's where it goes back to topic, it that these "experiences" with stolen software can be a second hit for the developer.
    People don't only steal software, but then they report problems and issues that "normal" (genuine) software doesn't even have, which often drives other customers away from a product.

PS: Wouldn't it make sense to re-do the benchmark with the new patch? It seems as if it has solved most of the issues.

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Normally is the other way around.

I own GTA V downloaded from my Steam account and the loading process and authorization with RockSteady takes here a very long time and sometimes don-t work at all making impossible to play.

As i don-t use and don-t bother about online gaming in GTA V i downloaded a @stolen@ copy as you name it and startup problems are solved avoiding DRM.

I saw similar problems with a lot of games using DRM who make the usage of games sometimes worst for legal users than @ilegal@ ones.

GOG don-t use DRM on their games versions and don-t have this kind of problems.

Coming back to the game, this last update put a lot of stress on my GPUs.

On the game dashboard i see the typical dots we see from an excessive GPU OC been the settings *1150/1600* exactly the same as before update.

Maybe it-s a problem with my rig or not, idk.