Fallout 4 - Part 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by rflair, Nov 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    !!!

Damn.. I was looking for stickytape to make it *__*

I am obviously the best dressed in the wasteland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Hello.

I'm big fan of fallout (F1 F2 and NV especially) but i heard from my dear friends that game is utter crap as "RPG". Bad story voice acting , dumbed down character progression, little choices in story , can't kill npcs .. among many other flaws . They say its more like a shooter .. It would be horrible for me because it should be RPG and some dumbed down shooter..

Who played and can agree or disagree?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Texture streaming is controlled by these cvars.
    (Section [General] in Fallout4.ini and possibly Fallout4Prefs.ini too just in case.)

iTextureUpgradeDistance1=
    iTextureUpgradeDistance0=
    iTextureDegradeDistance1=
    iTextureDegradeDistance0=

(Have to be added unless you first dump the entire ini file by the "saveini" command but this is generally not recommended.)

If you leave the upgrade distances alone but set the degrade distances to 0 and then load the game you should now see that all the streamed texture are on the lowest quality level, terrain however seems unaffected.

If you instead set degrade to something like 9999 and upgrade to 0 it should always load the full texture res for streamed textures but might stutter when you enter more detailed areas as it has to fully load all textures over a bigger distance.

Feel free to experiment and finding optimal values. :)

I think these were the defaults:

iTextureUpgradeDistance1=1200
    iTextureUpgradeDistance0=600
    iTextureDegradeDistance1=1500
    iTextureDegradeDistance0=800

EDIT: I recommend the start of the game as a good testing point, the bridge from the ruined settlement and the leaf piles on the ground should make for very easy comparisons.
    (You can also try the "setini" command to alter them directly in the game but from my experience this only works with a few cvars such as FOV, it's in this format if you want to try: setini "iTextureUpgradeDistance0:General" 800 )

EDIT: These also exist, also in the [General] section of the ini file.

bDegradeDetachedTextures=1
    fTextureUpgradeDisabledMinSpeed=600.0000
    bForceUpdateDiffuseOnly=1
    fUpdateTextureTime=1.5000

(These are the default values, I only tried changing the first one but it didn't have any noticeable effect.)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  4. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    This game needs a texture mod.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Most definitely. My FPS is always at 60 but turning the camera around feels like it's more in the mid 40s or so.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yes, we'll probably see it sooner or later. It may be a Vram hog considering im seeing ever 2GB Vram usage as it is now.

Btw guys, i reverted back FOV to 80 from 100 and got like 10fps on average. Something to keep in mind.

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I disagree, i love it way more then NV and F3.

8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
  9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I think it's iTexMipMapSkip=0 you need to set to 1 to disable it.

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Holy crap the mouse lag is terrible... it's the same as in Skyrim. I even applied the fixes and they make no single difference.

The only thing that makes it slightly better is setting Pre-Rendered Frames to 1. Which also results in a massive FPS drop.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That's texture quality basically, setting it to 0 loads the full texture, 1 skips the first mipmap, 2 skips the two first mipmaps and so on. :)
    (So a 1024x1024 texture will display at full res with this set to 0 whereas it'll display in 512x512 if set to 1 and 256x256 if set to 2)

EDIT: It should also be possible to "break" the game by setting them to a very high value, would look like this then. ->
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=98820512#post98820512

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    lol, thanks for explaining it Jonas, helpful as always. Didnt recognize you with your new avatar. :p

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Can you upgrade the dog?

Also am struggling with power armour. Can you take it with you to work on any station? I have the set from nr the vault (2 pieces) and then the first quest set. Perhaps I need to play around a bit.

Seems odd you cant craft ammo or armour/weps from scratch?!? I.e you need an existing piece to modify...

Oh and the scavenging station whats up with that? I assigned someone and they work on it for a bit then stop...do they produce anything and where does it go?

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Open the trade/transfer window with him and if you have something that he can use such as armor, scarfs or collars a "equip" option should appear, T by default on PC.

15. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I tried giving him some mutant hound armour...maybe he didnt like it.

Also am I right in thinking your settlers only use a certain type of weapon? Tried giving one a rifle and didnt seem to like it either. (but did take an improved pistol).

tnx Jonas.

p.s not sure if the dog is a help or a hindrance. I know you have the stay command but why isnt there a "go home command" and he can go back to his kennel until needed.

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Why it looks like there are no shadows in side this room ? (Ambient shadowing etc).
    really strange like i was looking at 1998 game...

17. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well my dog went missing last night, then it appeared during one of the mission(when i was in the lift) and disappeared again! God dammit jackson!

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Agreed. Having played the PS4 version at 30 fps, I would say it frequently feels smoother in motion than on my PC which runs at 60 fps almost 100% of the time. Kind of annoying really. I think it is framepacing or microstutter, if they are the same things.

19. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    G-Sync must be doing a good job with this then. Haven't noticed any stutters in about 12 hours of play so far. Game feels really smooth.

20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'm about 11 hours into the game.
    Still feel like I haven't done a whole lot yet.During my time I haven't encountered any performance issues, no stuttering. It's stayed at a solid 60fps the entire time.

No crashes, lock ups or any game hindering issues.

I did encounter one door, that when I opened it, the doorway was covered by a texture. I was able to walk right through it... but it still looks closed.
    Also, a few times when I've raised my weapon... I only get a crosshair. No weapon model. This also affects the pipboy.

Switching to third person and back to first fixed that.

The only thing that bothers me, is I've told Dog to stay in Sanctuary. And, on multiple times... when I fast travel to a location, or if I take an elevator that takes me through a load point... Dog shows up in the elevator with me.
    Or he's at the location I fast traveled to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.