Fallout 4 - Part 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by rflair, Nov 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This is helpful thanks.

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    whats with the stutter movement in this game? Mouse movement is smooth/no hitching, but as soon as i move (w\out moving mouse) its almost as if headbob is on fast forward. Even worse with a controller.

Happens in houses, underground etc regardless of settings.

Edit: Fixed
    Windowed + borderless.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  3. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    got about 6hrs in the game right now. i'm enjoying it. GOTY, dont think so. Witcher 3 is GOTY for me. think all those 9s and 10s reviews from the media is over inflated. but Fallout4, feels like an extension of Fallout3 more than anything. just somewhat better graphics, some new features to gameplay and a whole bunch of customization. it's like one really really big expansion than of a new complete sequel game.

Fallout4 feels to me like a rock band who wrote too many songs for one album, so the songs they couldn't fit into the released album, they compile and release it on their "new" forthcoming album. kinda like Metallica's Load and Reload albums. and so what u get is a mediocre product. not saying Fallout4 is a mediocre game, i think it's good but it does not feel like a game that makes you go "WOW!!".

4. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Same question, isn't it supposed to have hundreds of hours of gameplay?

I guess if you skip everything but the main story but still, if people are almost finished the game in less than 48 hours, I think I'm going to get a refund and pick it up when it's on the cheap, most of what I've read so far is more negative than positive (haven't really touched it yet as there is no SLI support).

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I have only 8 hours in so far.. furthest I have gone is to a big city and killed some raiders there and then gone back to the main area near where you come out of the bunker and then messed around with building and customizing.

The Super Mutants are pretty cool in 4...

The only negative for me so far is how laggy it is at the big city, maybe a game update or new drivers will fix it *shrugs*

The main story is not the bulk of the games content, I'm just treating it like Skyrim, pick a direction and go and see what's there... don't bother with the story until later haha

I have never finished Skyrim lol

6. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Yeah after having the witcher 3 this year I'm having a really hard time enjoying this game. I need more story and better art design.

7. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    W3 is definitely my game of the year.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The game is definitely good even if the visuals become more underwhelming the further you get into the game with low-poly buildings and objects in the towns, that colour palette aside, look like they've been taken straight from Fallout 3/New Vegas. Also, the animations and ragdoll physics are decidely last-gen resulting in the first confrontation with the Deathclaw looking almost comedic as it jerks around the streets getting stuck on car and building edges, etc. It's certainly not the thrilling, nerve-wracking encounter it should have been IMO as I tried to suppress laughing out loud at what I was seeing!

The biggest problem I have with the game right now though is its sense of over-familiarity...

I have just met up with the Brotherhood of Steel after wandering around getting killed constantly (at level 5) by blowflies and moles of all things (more due to their sheer numbers and lack of ammo) as I made my way south to Diamond City. My memory might be rusty but I am sure they or another Brotherhood featured in the earlier game.

Apart from getting the Power Ranger suit early on, the advanced controls for the dog and the building aspects, there really isn't much new so far after around 7-8 hours of playtime. I wouldn't say the game was boring overall but I am experiencing a big sense of deja vu while playing it and at the moment it all feels a bit aimless. I am finding some of the enemies too tough to advance (on the default Normal difficulty) which makes me think I should be doing quests in the current area first to level up but I only have three in the Pip Boy Quest Log and one of those involves making beds of all things (something I cannot do anyway as I lack the necessary Perk and because it only shows an icon I am not even sure what the required perk even is!).

I guess I am just finding the game a bit underwhelming at the moment. The jump from Oblivion to Skyrim was massive for me and both games kept me hooked and engrossed from start to finish for 100+ hours. Although structurally the games were similar, there was enough new stuff in there to make the game enjoyable all over again combined with the new environment and the addition of Dragons, etc, etc.

Fallout 3 was awesome too, played that right to the end and most of the DLC, again for 100+ hours. Did not play New Vegas to that level though; never even finished it to be honest, as I did not enjoy it anywhere near as much and it felt too samey. A few years on and Fallout 4 is here but it feels more like a next-gen remaster than a brand-new game a la Skyrim. Hopefully as I play it more the story and quests will grab me more and it will "click" eventually. I think the game's start is just a bit on the dull side personally and it doesn't help that it all feels exactly like the opening to Fallout 3 except for the brief scene pre-war.

9. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    It feels like Bethesda is stuck in last-gen while everyone else has moved on.

10. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Saw a gif somewhere, where the Vault-Tec salesman equips his clip chart on his hand like the NPCs from Skyrim equip their shields. Talk about recycling. Beth are sure to make a ton of money seeing that the investment was more on the marketing side than anything else. Also the game’s performance seems to be crap on PC and PS4 – glad I waited…

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    100% agree with you there.

The Witcher 3 is possibly the best western RPG to date in terms of setting, story, dialogue, voice acting, cinematic direction and visuals, well just about every aspect of the game really! Everything in that game felt like it was there for a purpose with story and side quests all having the same slick attention to detail and superb cutscenes and writing. In many ways, The Witcher 3 was the sequel to Skyrim with a similar environment but far more believable and immersive. It was also a massive improvement on the great-for-its-time The Witcher 2.

Anyway, Fallout 4 suffers from a very dated look and feel to it. Graphics vary from passable to downright ugly - clipping issues abound, lip-synching is poor, cutscenes are stiff and poorly animated, and character faces often look weird, etc - and while the writing is OK so far, the quests have a generic feel to them up to now and do not engross in the same way as The Witcher 3. I have yet to meet anyone half interesting but strong memorable characters are definitely a weakness in Bethesda's RPGs anyway in my experience.

In exploring the wasteland the game feels less like a real world place and more like a world built for a game. I think Bethesda really need to ditch that Creation Engine for something a bit more modern. It's hard to forgive many of this game's more glaring issues when I have played the superior Dragon Age Inquisition and The Witcher 3 this year making comparisons inevitable and Fallout 4 comes off worst in just about all aspects IMO.

Don't get me wrong, RPGs are definitely my favourite genre and I am even loving Tales of Zestiria in spite of its PS2 style graphics technically but that game has beautiful anime artwork, endearing characters and charming dialogue along with fast, exciting combat that help make the game really compulsive even if the story is basic and game world is not that detailed or interesting. Fallout 4 just is not grabbing me right now in anyway and that in itself is disappointing... :(

I will persevere because sometimes games like these do take a while to get going.

12. sephking

sephking Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified
    It's sad that Witcher 3, which is one of my favorite games of the last decade, has been outsold by this in 24 hours of release.

13. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
  14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    My fusion core depleted. I took parts of it. Now how to make the armor again? Frame I mean

15. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I am really liking the game! About 8 hours in and i havent even been to Diamond City yet. Really enjoying it, but i do agree some textures look pretty awful!

Will need to check those reddit tips, blocked at work!

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Adhesive.... why you so hard to find :Y

17. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Ive got loads mate! I would share if i could!

When it says "gear" for some building(turret or electricity generator), what do they mean by that? Gear as in armor, that really confuses me and i cant find any!

18. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    You can grow your own adhesive by cooking Vegetable Starch with Corn, Tato, Muttfruit, and Purified Water.

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Bugs are minimal for me. The only one I've suffered in 20~ hours of gameplay is getting stuck at terminals. Limiting FPS to around 72 alleviated that.

Performance and other tweaks I've done though INI include forcing off vsync, no mouse acceleration, FOV to 105, volumetric/godrays off, shadow distance med, texture mip mapping off.
    Everything else maxed, 72 FPS constant.

TXAA looks fine in this title IMO.

Textures don't really look that bad, problem is they don't load in properly sometimes. The result is a few textures can sit with a really ugly resolution for a long time before loading in properly. Turning off mip mapping helps, but the issue still exists. It can be jarring, but not game breaking.

Hopefully godrays, shadow distance, and texture mip mapping are fixed. That will vastly improve performance.

As for the game itself, the reason most of us got this game, I'm in love.
    I may be biased, when it comes to Bethesda and Bioware (half the time) they come so close to my ideal RPG.
    Gun play is great, crafting is top notch. Story (voice acting, quest quality, main story line) is fantastic. I don't feel I hear the same voice too often, quests are interesting, and the main story has enough twist and turns (though predictable) to keep you engaged.

I'm happy. Haven't been so into a singleplayer game in a long time. Maybe even since Skyrim. As much as I liked W3, for some reason I just couldn't get into it. Never finished the main story, but got close.

Now, to finish up, here are some things that are missing from the options in FO4 and people more and more expect to be there. No FOV slider, locked FPS- high FPS can cause glitches and possible speedups, no Vsync option, no option to turn off mouse acceleration.
    Yes these things can be changed in the INI's, and they are the same settings that been around since Oblivion. But people expect an easy way to chance these things. So while I'm not too upset, I understand peoples frustration.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What value did you enter to disable mip mapping when its already 0?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.