Steam Hardware devices Go Retail

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Valve today announces the official launch of its line of Steam Hardware devices in the US, Canada, UK, and Europe. A leading platform for PC, Mac, and Linux games, Steam offers more than 6,000 titles ...

Steam Hardware devices Go Retail

2. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    I've been looking at the Steam link for a while now as I am playing a lot of games via In Home Streaming with a Nuc N2820 connected to my TV. It works incredibly well, but suffers from bad frame loss when running in Big Picture mode. Wondering if using their dedicated hardware would have any improvement?

Would you be doing any reviews on it Hilbert?

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    What I'd be curious about is the chance of maybe downscaling for inhome streaming. Kind of getting a few troubles with 1440p at the gaming rig and only 1080p with the htpc.

4. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    What kind of problems are you getting? I stream all my games at 1080p 60fps while in game resolution is set to 2560x1440..

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I used other devices (Asus WAVI if you've heard of it), since the only game I really wanted to stream (BF4 gaming @ 1440p/144Hz/fps) was not supported by Steam's streaming in the beginning. Does it work now? Everything in my steam library looked like it worked fine, but haven't tried much.

6. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    I know some games are still not fully supported and BF4 might be one of them. I tried streaming The Witcher 3 and even though it worked I was getting frame drops between 60fps and 14fps.

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, also when I was streaming for hours (Europa Universalis IV @ 1080p), it slowed down and eventually was more 'crawling' than 'running' :D

It's nice because it's free, but it also makes me wonder if I want to spend the money on the link. But maybe that's just my opinion, haven't tried to toy with it recently.

8. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    A comparison between the Link and In Home Streaming on an old laptop or pc would be very interesting.

I must do some more investigating myself. I've only ever played X-COM and Civ over In Home Streaming, (lag and controller options limited everything else) but that was over an AC network with quite often over a dozen clients sucking bandwidth (Netflix :biggun:)
    Must see if a wired connection will make a big difference.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Makes all the difference in the world. Everything on my end is hard wired through 1gb local network connection and streaming works great from my Mac Pro to my Alpha and Kodi boxes. Only one it doesn't work too well on is my guest room since that's just wired through an outlet network adapter that only does up to 85mbp, even then it's only 80% efficiency and with an older house and it's ancient wiring I'm probably only getting 50% of it.

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Lol looking forward to the sea of dis appointed kids waking up on Christmas morning with the expectations of getting a brand new shiny console only to find mom and pop bought them one of these because the nice guy at the game shop said it was the best.

11. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Hahaha!

Regardless, I've read quite a lot of positive Steam Controller reviews. It seems to be a really interesting product.

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Initial reviews I've seen loved the controller, but l've seen a lot of user complaints and even some websites complain that the controller feels cheap.

On the note of Steam Machines, I don't have the Steam OS version but I love my Alpha. I could convert it to a Steam Machine always. :D

13. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Ordered a Steamlink just because its neater than having my laptop sat under the living room TV.

Ive been really impressed with Steam inhome streaming for the few months ive been using it.
    Hope the Steamlink is as good as my Laptop as the client.

Ive been using a Gigabit network connection between the 2 devices and Router is Netgear R7000.
    Also I must state that using an 5ghz ac connection the experience was near identical, really impressed.
    Guess wifi experience depends on your Hardware.

Only use it for a few games, pCars, Farcry 4, MGS5 all been great.

Only thing I would say is to get the best IQ i have set bandwidth to "unlimited" on both devices (although its not recommended as can increase latency??) It definatley cleaned up some picture noise.

Also with GTX 980ti has host I have found the NVIFR capture seems to be a tad better latency wise than the NVFBC (which is enabled if GFE installed)