Fallout 4: PC graphics performance review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 10, 2015.

1. BroDragon

BroDragon Guest

GPU:
    gtx970sli
    Unfortunately your testing missed the real issue with Fallout 4 performance which is the CPU. Others have reported that the game is very demanding of high cores/threads and my i5-6600 struggles with this game. It turns out that the recommended i7-4790 is not an exaggeration. Your tests using the i7-5960x would never have detected the problem. Only a few have i7's so this is a bad idea by Bethesda.

2. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    most of my friends have older CPUs such as 920, 2500K and for all of them performance is fantastic, they play on ultra preset with 60+fps. i just don't see how your cpu can struggle in this game, i suspect user error / hardware / drivers conflict.

3. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I have a 290, got AMD drivers set to 8x tessellation on all ultra settings runs without braking a sweat @ 2560x1080, that was a ball ache to to get UWFUD to work, if you have them at default tessellation i would expect nVidia to be using 64x onwards so these will cripple AMD cards unless you force it through the drivers using less tessellation like i have done. It's over the top the amount of needless tessellation used in game works, all in the name of crippling/sabotaging competitors.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Well based on what benchies are showing, the difference between Medium/High/Ultra is literally nothing.. so really, when people like yourself mention "playing on Ultra", actually.. there is only one setting. You can call it Ultra, but Medium=High=Ultra practically, as far as performance is concerned.

5. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    i call it ultra preset because that's what it's actually called in game, why are you trying to add confusion where there was none.

6. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    SPOT ON MATE! so happy I didn't cash out for this title like my 3 friends who aren't happy. I might once it's gonna be on sale for under 20 euro and there will be proper texture packs from modders. Let's hope that Bethesda won't disappoint with next DOOM or they won't be seeing a cent from me,like ever

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    There's a funny rumor that the head animator was hired because he was a friend of a guy whom works there. The guy had failed animation classes twice so he must be a legit guy if true. Well the animation quality at least would be explained by lack of skill.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I can relate, I'm still happy to not have changed my mind in the last minute and went for the game at launch day.

9. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Like pretty much all jobs nowa days it's not what you know it's WHO you know.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I was disappointed with use of gameworks and all that brings to most of games.
    But it hardly matters now. As shops, game review sites and such rated it 8.7/10. Then users themselves 4.6/10.

If it gets GOTY in time and there is nice discount, then it may be worth it.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What!

If this gets goty then that simply makes the award of goty something that isn't earned, but instead bought.

Unless you're referring to a goty edtion containing all dlc?

12. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    I am still getting more and more happy about my 980Ti :D

Destroys everything ! :p

13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Yeah yeah we know is a good card in DX11...this year. :D

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Doing quite well with DX12 too.

15. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Thanks for the review Hilbert.
    I'm still downloading, lol.

Either my Steam download restarted, or I have a day 1 patch which seems to be 24Gb ?
    I've already downloaded 20+Gb of the game afaik.

Anyone else have a steam update today for Fallout 4 ?

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Sure, I meant full package with DLCs.

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    on Gamework titles .. Its even hopefull that HH have decrease the gamework settting, because, it will be dramatic to seen for the 4th games in follow who use this nvidia blackbox.

Funny to see that a developper who is so bad at optimize a game for a gpu is not fired instantly. Half of the work made.. take the door.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  18. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    https://developer.nvidia.com/what-is-gameworks
    You can license the source code for a while now.

I was having a lot of fun in Fallout4 to start with but the game just seems to be bland. I keep going back to Witcher3 for my rpg needs.

19. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    WOAH ! You need to back up and take the panties out of the crack dude :D

Angry gets you nowhere, now I'm guessing that you're not af Fallout fan of previous games ?

There are more to this game than just graphics, it's the universe of Fallout that is great, the enviroment and sounds.

Do you even realize how much that goes into a game like this ???
    I mean everything from lighting, to sound, to size, to Ai and then mix it all together - that + it has to work together all the time without too many bugs.

From what I've heard there are no major gamebreaking bugs ???

20. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Yeah sure, because Far Cry 4 is a fresh and innovative breeze in the Far Cry series, and came good optimized out from a box. But as you say, thank god for loads of better games that i have to play, until Far Cry 4 costs 15€, the price i think it deserves now, after 10 patches or so :D