Fallout 4 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Nov 9, 2015.

1. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Guest

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    i am playing fallout 4 now testing it on a real system and will report back

2. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Is the game CPU or GPU bound? I don't care if I have to turn down some GPU heavy (unoptimized) nvidia crap but if it's chugging on the CPU side then that's a different story. Funny that in 2008, Far Cry 2 had great looking sun rays that had little impact on performance but in 2015, we need gameworks god rays that run like garbage. Well, Bethesda wont be getting a penny from me until performance is sorted and that includes a working crossfire profile.

3. DavidGX

DavidGX Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Fury X
    I'm kind of worried now. If I load the game up with the newest drivers and Crossfire isn't working, that's an instant Steam refund for me. I'll NEED it to work, considering I'm running on two OC'd 7970s.

4. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Try disabling ambient occlusion.

5. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    So this is the result of degrees and years of experience in programming...

6. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Cancel your order. CrossFire isn't working. Maybe you could try your luck with one of the hunderds of gaming profiles from other games.

7. DavidGX

DavidGX Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Fury X
    I'd rather wait a bit longer and see if AMD releases anything.

I'm stupid for hoping, I know. AMD has garbage support/drivers, Nvidia is garbage as a company. I really wish there was a third option...

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    sli appears to be busted too, so most likely a Bethesda problem.

9. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Or you buy the game the moment AMD releases something? It's up to you really. As far as i know you can only play the games for 2 hours if you want a refund.

By the way, SLI isn't working either. So it might be game related.

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    More like garbage amd dx11 drivers coupled with the fact that creation engine is cpu bound, no wonder amd cards are 50% slower

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Taken from a Fallout 4 PC performance article.

Same old story. :(

12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    tbf here nvidia failed with this title also.. a 980ti for 1440p 60.. that is some bethesda right there

13. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    and yet in start citizen amd cpu drivers are fine.. star citizen is more cpu bound the f4

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That doesnt matter, creation engine is not a well threaded game, look back at skyrim and it used mainly one thread/core

and no dx11 drivers are bad there too

[​IMG]

15. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Creation and Engine seems not match in this game. :)

16. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Gosh, looking at more screenshots, the game looks so mediocre on a graphical level. A single high end card should smash it even at 4k. Bethesda are such amateurs when it comes to sprucing up their 3-legged dog of an engine.

17. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    how many reviewers actually went into drivers and disabled texture optimization and used high quality mode? I ALWAYS WONDER THIS, it bothers me that i'm going to have to test this myself when it unlocks. 64x tessellation with highest quality textures and high quality AF in drivers and adaptive multisample anti-aliasing.

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No way. This screams overhead. Godrays don't require that much from the tesselator (hence the good performance on Kepler) and AMD cards are usually faster at HBAO+ than NVIDIA cards. What's happening here is that you have the freakin' Morrowind engine running all the important stuff in a single thread, and a retarded driver that doesn't know what to do if it's not fed fast enough.
    Look what happens at 4K when the CPU performance stops being a factor. Even with GameWorks on, the performance normalizes where it should have been. Look how "normal" everything is at 4k. The 390x is on par with the GTX 980, the 980Ti is ahead.
    [​IMG]

Now look when the CPU starts mattering again.
    1440p:
    [​IMG]

And finally 1080p, where the 970 is faster than the 390x:
    [​IMG]

If this is not an overhead problem, I don't know what it is. This is a big open world game that has a ton of draw calls. It is obvious that NVIDIA have tuned their software scheduler to the max for this, and they get almost 100% utilization. I don't know what AMD will, or can, do. Don't blame this on GameWorks though, it's really the wrong target and that's proven by the 1440p/4k performance, where overhead matters less.

There are limits to the Morrowind engine, and Bethesda are not exactly known for their technical prowess. All of their games since Morrowind have been horrible technically. Most people forget it because they end up playing them with vastly better hardware than the one they had when the games first launched.

EDIT: Clarification: GameWorks and the whole idea behind it is a hideous pile of steaming crap, oozing on top of PC gaming like the worst cancer since the days of 3dfx and Glide.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  19. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    <..< i thought someone looked at the 15.11 beta drivers and found fallout 4 mentioned for application profile preset settings. so essentially we could already have at least basic driver settings already here and gameready drivers aren't needed just yet. wait for the team to bake the settings out a little bit so its nice and warm and sitting in the windowcil for all of us to enjoy

EDIT: if its driver overhead i'll use process lasso to do some tweaking on the fallout4.exe to take whatever i can out of the equation.

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    overhead, overhead, overhead...

you sound like a broken record.

AMD is a more parallel architecture, Nvidia is more serialized.

DX11 lends itself better to a more serialized architecture.

DX12 lends itself more towards paralyzed architecture.

It really as simple as that.

this Overhead BS, is just that: BS.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015