Goodbye Catalyst Control Center :D

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shankly1985, Nov 2, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Chrome 30 tabs open and GTA V open in the background, no pagefile 32GB ram.

Look the commited ram in Task manager>performance>memory tab:

[​IMG]

Task manager performance in the lower part there is a link to resource monitor:

[​IMG]

If the commited ram reach 100% it doesn't matter if there is several gigabytes of memory showed as free...system will advice you to close programs to free memory.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It's not if there is pagefile or not, it's where is the game looking for the data he needs.

If there is no pagefile and all the data it needs is already in ram (from game launch/phases loading) it doesn't need to access the cache data in pagefile (SSD/HDD) while you are playing.

This is always faster than reading SSD/HDD.

3. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I already edited my post. I simply don't know much about this whole pagefile thing.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but disabling the pagefile on your drive, doesn't mean that there is no more paging going on, right? So the pagefile is moved to the system memory?

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    There is no more pagefile (pagefile.sys file) anywhere, it should be deleted as file from the disk.

As windows said in the advanced system settings>performance>advanced tab:

"Virtual memory

A paging file is an area on the hard disk that Windows uses as it were RAM"

5. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I know that it's faster, but do you really notice it?

6. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Sure, the pagefile.sys isn't on the drive anymore, but does that also mean that the game isn't paging anymore? What happens to all the data that is normally being stored in the pagefile? Is it simply not needed anymore? Or is it all being stored in the memory?

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I can't measure it, i feel the OS and games works better, faster without lag or micro-freezes.

I know it's not an objective response but i can't explain it any better.

I use to open Chrome or Firefox with hundred of tabs and alt-tab to games in the background, this was not possible without a few real GB of RAM without a serious lag/freeze from one tab to the other.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    That's the idea:

To have all the data loaded (pre-loaded) in real ram and not cached to pagefile (virtual ram) to later load it in ram when some ram is freed in the case your ram is not enough.

Enough real ram allows to avoid the cache in pagefile, that doesn't mean all the programs are able to do it properly because a few (very few) force the need of pagefile (?¿?) even if there is enough real ram.

Sometimes the flag "-disablepagefilecheck" solves this problem with this few programs.

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    GTA V in crossfire is the only time I've maxed out available address space. In that case more RAM or pagefile is required with 16GB installed.

I don't know why some are having problems without one with enough RAM. It's one of the first things I do after installing the OS.

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm curious as to your experiences after Threashold 2.

11. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Guest

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    been using threshold 2 since first and now final build it's been amazing so far with zero issues

12. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Did you notice less stuttering in games like Witcher 3? Or did you not experience any of those problems in the first place?

13. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Guest

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    never had any stutter in any games

14. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    The stutter you are having in the witcher 3 is probably Crossfire related. If i max out both of my cards for a couple of seconds, i get alot of stutter. It feels like the game is skipping frames. Very annoying.

15. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Didn't work, but thanks.

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Same here but single GPU.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Anybody remember ReadyBoost?

This is another trick Windows will use to improve the memory management problem caused by some software/games who wants to use/lock memory like there is no tommorow.

This time the OS will try to improve the memory management compressing a "page file" in ram to lower the usage of a real page file (virtual ram in HDD/SSD).

I think this will somewhat improve some memory low avalaible RAM scenarios but this can't do anything when a program/game want not only to use some ram amount but instead commits (lock) a HUGE amount of it like GTA V do.

"Optimized ram usage" are forgotten words for too much software dev, the only real solution is to add more real RAM to the rig.

:(

You can try Windows 10 TH2 right now, 10586 build was confirmed as "RTM" (no watermark/no time bomb):

Windows 10 Build 10586 confirmed as TH2 RTM Build - WinCentral

18. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Ah okay thanks, maybe it is the 4GB Vram vs 3GB Vram then, or maybe I am just over sensitive for stutters :nerd: Stutter without crossfire is a lot less, maybe even absent though. I had to run in Single GPU mode for quite some time as support for Crossfire wasnt there for a while, and it was a lot smoother.

Yea true, without crossfire, stutters where far less present. When I lower some settings that require a lot from the streaming mechanism of Witcher 3, like vegetation, it gets a lot smoother as well both in single GPU as crossfire. That is why I am curious about the improvements in streaming as a result of RAM optimisation. I will try this out this afternoon.

Interesting. I read a while back that using readyboost the read times or access times where shorter in comparison than having your pagefile on a HDD. Does readyboost actually still have some advantage vs an SSD?

Non the less, this afternoon I am going to install the latest preview build to see for an improvements myself.

19. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Lots of games don't or can't load the entire area into memory. Open world games like GTA5 and Skyrim load new areas while playing. That means less hitching and popup on an SSD as compared to a HD. Has nothing to do with paging and everything to do with how the game is designed.

If you have only 4GB of RAM, then yeah I'd get more RAM over an SSD. You may have 32GB, but only a handful of games use more than 8GB of RAM. I hope you are doing something else that uses that memory or it is simply sitting there going to waste. Right now 16GB will cover any game on the market.

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    But not GTA V with Crossfire (without pagefile) :D