Acer XB271HK and XB271HU G-sync Predator XB1 Series monitors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Excellent. Hope they up the build quality this time.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Are you going for the new one? I don't want to spend another 750-800€ for a new screen :D

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I was able to trade my PG278Q for the XB for like $200 difference. Could probably sell the XB270HU for $600 on amazon and trade up to this. I was debating on doing it for the ASUS variant.

6. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    I've got a 1080p Gsync I'd like to upgrade from, is selling on Amazon really that fruitful?

Haven't tried it yet but if one of my fellow G3D members reccomnd me trying it, I shall.

7. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I see no reason to go from 144 to 165. I was lucky to have a flawless screen.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Is the only difference still the bezel and maybe 165 instead of 144Hz? If so, it wouldn't be worth the trouble and money on the upgrade again, personally.

But I never knew you could resell your stuff to amazon, I bought my screen there, would be funny to resell it to them ;)

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It really depends on the condition of the monitor. I find Amazon to be the best place to re-sell stuff. Their customer protection for both sellers and buyers is extremely good. But yeah, as long as you're honest about the condition of the device in the description and price it accordingly you shouldn't have a problem.

In PC Perspective's review of the ASUS 165hz - the review said that he didn't expect to see a difference going to 165, but it was clearly noticeable, especially on the desktop. My XB270HU has a slight backlight bleed on the bottom, it's not too terrible but if I could trade it up for a 1HU or the ASUS one without backlight bleed + the smaller bezels, I think I'd pay $200 for that.

I'm not sure what panel is being used on this. The term "overclock" throws me off -- because it is technically possible to overclock the XB270HU panels and make them work. But you lose color accuracy when you overdrive the pixel further. The ASUS PG279Q actually uses a different panel that was designed for 165Hz. I would assume this monitor uses the newer panel as well but that isn't made clear at the moment.

So for me, I have the issue with the backlight bleed (very slight), it may be worth spending $200 or so to get rid of it + 165Hz + smaller bezels + it also appears the ASUS has a slightly better contrast ratio than the original XB270HU (1130 vs 1030) it also comes with a better factory calibration and it appears they fixed all the backlight bleed issues. That being said it seems that it's about .5ms slower in input lag (so small it barely matters) and the uniformity of the panel is kind of ****ty.

Idk. In general I'd say no, it's not worth the hassle of upgrading. But I'll probably do it anyway because I suck at saving my money.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  10. jacques_q

jacques_q New Member

GPU:
    780ti
    4K is rather beyond my PC capability.

Question..
    It's possible to run XB271HK on 144/165hz on 2560x1440 resolution?
    or XB271HK runs only at 60hz?

Br
    J

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Fair enough, I didn't know you had such a troublesome screen. I am quite happy to have a screen that's fairly free of any perceptable problems, a different point of view.

12. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Has any of you seen it in action?

I was considering getting a 120Hz+ monitor, but perhaps this will cut it. Also, the price dropped a lot since it got released.

Here's how I see it - please, tell me if there are any general flaws in my logic:
    0. Just now I'm on GTX 970 + HP2475W combo (nice colors, but a lot of lag)
    1. I want a monitor for work, and I love how text is clear at high-dpi (but I'm worried about 150% zoom; I only worked with 100, 200, and 300%). At work I have 2560x1330 27" screen, which looks really nice, but getting more pixels should make text even better
    2. I want the very same monitor for gaming. I don't think that getting 2 monitors would be good.
    3. I was aiming for 120Hz+ G-Sync display, but there are no such monitors out there (yet)
    4. 2560x1440@100Hz+ = bazilion pixels per second (around 3x more than 1920x1080@60Hz), and I'm afraid that even cutting details would be bad. This eliminates many 27" monitors, but...
    5. UHD 3840x2160@24-75Hz should be just fine for strategy games, and Diablo, while I might cut it to FullHD 1920x1080 for shooters and racing games without any blur (pixels from graphics cad would be mapped to 2x2 pixel square on monitor)
    6. Is 120Hz+ that much better than 24-75Hz G-Sync?
    7. Should I completely change my plan? Or ditch it and wait for 120Hz UHD G-Sync monitor (or at least capable of fallback to FullHD 120Hz)?