Goodbye Catalyst Control Center :D

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shankly1985, Nov 2, 2015.

1. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    I hope so too! Maybe it will be out with the new Windows build.

2. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Same here, everyone knows about this...and AMD didn't said this with no reason in their new Crimson preview : "10x faster startup times".

3. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Guest

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    with a fresh boot it takes 1 second to open you just got to optimize

4. Clocknut

Clocknut Guest

GPU:
    Palit 750Ti StormX Dual
    I did not ask AMD to completely stop supporting pre-GCN GPU, but simply have AMD only make new Radeon Software use for GCN.

And use CCC to support the legacy GPU.

I would much prefer the new Radeon Driver to be a clean sheet, not bloated with pre-GCN support. Leave that job to CCC, instead of retiring it completely.

Radeon Software = GCN only
    CCC = HD5000/6000.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

5. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I believe some of you are confusing the time CCC takes to open its GUI with the time it needs to load during startup.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yeah. Those that have theirs startup almost instantly probably have it starting processes at Windows startup. I don't, so it takes about 3 seconds inititally, half a second after.

7. Dreamcream

Dreamcream Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 Dual-X
    Still have "opengl tripple buffering" :bang:

I want directx tripple buffering, adaptive vsync.. Nvidia control panel has it but amd still not doing it :bang:

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    I believe a while ago AMD said they wont put it in CCC because they follow MS recomendations, which states it should be implemented by the game to avoid DLL hooks.

9. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    that's the reason they don't even have some optional dx11 specifications, that's the reason they broke something regarding dx9 in 13.4, that's the reason they broke something regarding dx11 after 13.12. i assume the dx9 specifications have changed in march 2013 and dx11 specifications have changed in november 2013... both are not fixed and i doubt they will bother to fix them...

10. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    But how does Nvidia do it then?

11. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I have the startup entry enabled and CCC still takes 40-90 seconds to show up after a fresh boot.

12. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Then split the driver and have a small team fix bugs. Keeping it bundled in the current driver isn't helping anything. Basic functionality should be there (and currently is), but you cannot expect game optimizations for 5yr old hardware, especially when they did an architecture change.

13. What in particular is broken?

14. progrox

progrox Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 270X 2GB OC
    I don't care about the new branding either way. If it means the program will be leaner, better to navigate and offer a couple more options, I'm all for it. I've always preferred NVidia Control Panel, but CCC is *just fine*.

I also think they've been doing okay with fixing bugs, though a couple of nasty ones remain. "Turn off the display" in Power Options is still *unusable* because it can kill video completely until you reboot. OpenGL performance on 7XXX and beyond is still terrible (CPU overhead, LWJGL for example).

This is not black and white. I'm rooting for AMD. They've done good things. Omega was great. 15.7 has been working great. But they need to tackle these issues.

15. Keno34

Keno34 Member Guru

GPU:
    R290 1150/1600
    The problem i've got with AMD is,they allways annonce stuff,a delivery date,then screw everything,and allways late and half ****ed....PLEASE AMD stop!!!
    Do your thing and annonce it when it's ready !!!!
    I love Amd hardware,but please STOP telling us we got an amazing driver you gone get it in 2017 LMAO!!!

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    So it is OK for NVIDIA to give Fermi DX12, but the 5000/6000 series that were out at the same time period, don't even get to get driver support? Are you ok in your head? Do you have any concept of market competition? Any concept of value?

It would be a travesty to drop support for them. The 5970/6970 are still as fast as a PS4, they should be able to play EVERYTHING coming out the next year. And now they should drop support to focus on what exactly? You realize that whatever the CCC does, it can do for all cards, right? They had to PULL OUT support for VSR for the 5000/6000 series, and nobody even complained. What's wrong with you?

The requirement of Windows 10 is WDDM 1.0. There is no "spotiness" about that.

All the companies that don't follow MS recommendations, are doing bad I guess? Steam, Origin, the NVIDIA driver, MSI Afterburner, they all use DLL hooking. If that's the only way, AMD should do it too.
    (To be honest, I'm not even sure that they should use DLL hooking, since the games themselves send the frame/pipeline data to the driver. It's not like John Matauri or the ReShade guys are forced to do).

17. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    spottiness was referring to no dx12.

yes, RP uses hooking.

AMDs frame limiter is at GPU level avoiding hooking. Im guessing this is the reason for the rather odd arbitrary frame limits.

I'm just paraphrasing what AMD has said in the past, im not making a judgement call either way.

However, it is becoming harder to hook the dls without issues (w3 and GTA5 for example)

18. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    in dx11 case it's the way 14.x/15.x drivers handle the shader, the same behaviour is happening with nvidia starting from a particular driver (i forgot the number)

in dx9 i don't know what exactly is broken in gcn case (it's only gcn case, pre gcn cards are not affected no matter what driver you use), to be honest dx9 code for gcn looks to be broken since release (flickers up to 13.1 inclusive, 13.1 adds a nasty bug (it display stuff that it shouldn't display), 13.2 fixes the flickers and don't show up the nasty bug from 13.1 but it has some problems with geometry (some stuff is moved a couple of pixels compared to how they supposed to be), 13.3 has the same nasty bug that starts in 13.1 and is never fixed, 13.4 fixes the geometry issue present in 13.2). i don't know why it renders stuff that is not send by the code that's why i have no clue what is broken (it's like a buffer that is never refreshed and when it's used it display what was store there, ofc wrong because it supposed to be refreshed and it's not, but it doesn't happen always, it happens from time to time; when it first showed up it was insane the problem, it happens less in last drivers but it's still there, they only made it to show up less often and stay less on the screen but they never fully fix it).

19. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    The difference between Fermi and Kepler is much smaller than TeraScale and GCN. I would have required far more work on AMD's part to get DX12 working for TeraScale cards (if it is possible at all). You can't simply look at it from one point of view.

20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Point taken. Still, even by using policies that might be frowned upon (although used from the most popular PC gaming software out there, including ReShade), they have to close the parity gap. If using turbos is frowned up, but you win the race, then use the damn things.

Oh, I agree. I didn't ask for DX12. What I said is that it's a travesty for one card from that era to get DX12, while the other one doesn't even get driver support.