Goodbye Catalyst Control Center :D

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shankly1985, Nov 2, 2015.

1. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    Sorry but people need to let those cards go, they too old now. if you can't buy a piece of PC Hardware like GPU which there are super cheap now then PC should not be for them & buy a console if you planning to play today games.

2. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    AMD gave them full W10 (earlier GPUs has been dropped before W8.1 so most of people couldn't install drivers in newer OS [i tried to install drivers for HD3650M on W8.1 and it was pretty ****ty]) support and it's enough.
    Supporting non-GCN is just pointless. Newer drivers don't do performance boost nor bug fixes. So why them should prepare new drivers? I do not see any sense.
    I know, high-end cards like 5970 or 6950 are more powerfull than e.g. 7750 or other cheap cards but these cards will still working.

3. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Just give me Fallout 4 crossfire working without any errors and I can die happy.

4. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    You should want them to fix that, more than anything, than to just let them get cut loose. The 6000 series is only 5 years old :x

AMD get critiqued fairly frequently for ignoring long term driver support, it should be something that isn't encouraged!

Say what you will about Nvidia, at least their legacy support is really on the ball. (Save for the lack of Fermi having WDDM 2.0 support yet)

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Some of those 'too old cards' are quite powerful and in CF they can pull 1440p well.
    (As long as people limit tessellation which proven to be their Achilles heel.)

Only bad thing about them is performance per watt.

While I am not against AMD moving forward and leaving those cards behind, they should still be supported.
    (by being present in driver package even if their code paths will be unchanged for year)

6. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I actually would agree with that. The pre-GCN cards gain no benefit from newer drivers and haven't for more than a year now. More like 2 or more years for a lot of them. They should all be moved to legacy support and be offered the last pre-GCN driver with support for Win 10. I run the 13.4 package on my 2011 Win 7 first generation Llano laptop and it works better than anything newer than that.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  7. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    There are many modern games that aren't demanding at all and indeed work just fine on the older cards. Many of the most popular games DON'T require more powerful cards.

Should we expect performance drivers for the older cards/architectures? No

Should we however expect bug fixes and support for newer Windows versions? Hell yeah

At least the HD 5000 and 6000 series have gotten better support than the HD 4000 series did.
    Those cards didn't even get a Catalyst driver for Windows 8.1. Compare that to Nvidia which has a Windows 10 driver for all its DX10 GPUs

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    5000/6000 doesnt have WDDM 2.0 support (they cant), so win10 compatibility is going to be spotty.

AFAIK, there is no WDDM 2.0 support for VWLI4/5 (terascale)

That doesnt mean you cant run win10 on WDDM 1.2.

It just means no DX12.

9. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

They will never understand that drivers are not made only for games...
    Anyway: take 4000 series card, install driver from 2012 and benchmark Tomb Raider (2013). Now change driver to later released after Tomb Raider and compare results.

10. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    This! +1

11. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The minimum requirement for Windows 10 is a DX9 GPU with a WDDM 1.0 driver. DX12 isn't a requirement.

Nvidia has a WDDM 1.2 Win10 driver for all its DX10 GPUs. AMD didn't even update the WDDM 1.1 driver for Windows 8.1 for its DX10 GPUs.

Thankfully, AMD has not abandoned the HD 5000/6000 series yet, they have official Catalyst Windows 10 drivers available on AMD's homepage.

I honestly don't think anyone is expecting performance drivers for pre-GCN anymore.
    But whether it's legacy or mainline support, people do expect bug fixes and support for newer Windows.
    Which is why I disdain seeing all posts thinking AMD should stop supporting the older series.

12. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I would expect to see no improvement and maybe even degradation. I have seen just that many times.

13. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Nope it shows in the tray a good 20 seconds or more before the window actually opens and always has on every computer with every version of Windows I have used. That's the first time after a fresh boot. After that it can only take like 2 or 3 seconds. With a fresh boot it can take anywhere from 40-90 seconds.

14. mhugi

mhugi Guest

GPU:
    HD6970 2GB + HD6950 2GB
    Sweet!

Now maybe I can get SWTOR to run in crossfire with my two 6970's.......:bang:

15. V1tol

V1tol Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    CCC is .Net, new one will be on QT. You cannot simply switch languages without rewriting everything.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The CCC shows instantly for me as well, a sec or less, even when i first switch on and select it.

17. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i still think there are a lot of people with busted .net installs...

18. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    From what I understand QT will only be used on the front end.

I think some people just don't understand how much of an advantage product support is for a companies image and consumer satisfaction.

Nvidia did an awesome job with support in that regard. I still have some ancient clunkers with no problems on Win 10.

19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    im pretty sure QT has been used throughout.

It would pretty silly to just use it only on the GUI and leave everything else in .net since the event log spamming is one of the major complaints.

20. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

When I tested Omegas 14.12 vs 15.10 I had an average 2-3 FPS more with Omegas in NFS Carbon, NFS U2, Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter and Serious Sam 3: BFE. The biggest problem for HD6320 is the blacklisting in web browsers due to unresolved driver issues. Hardware H264 decoding in Firefox, Chrome is blocked... Did not yet try driver mod to workaround this.