The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    OK 1st were reading TEXT...I dont care WHO YOU ARE.. respect to EACH other. Its text...relax.

Something I notice is some asked some really good questions about "ads"..Yet no answer. People really get carried away with WHO is watching and WHO is listening and OMG taking your INFO. We dont need to treat them "talking to a wall".. bend.. you been at this a long time. Its not the same people. So tell them about where and what INFO is really being taken. No matter how easy it might be for you to find.

Its your site Hilbert and a great one and people dont understand the COST for server and blah blah blah.

Sad though.. 1-thousands will watch Twitch and give tens of thousands for nothing at times then just watching someone play a game. But take hours and days and weeks to put out a review...hopefully ads are not the main source for income. Yet people make BILLIONS off INFO..

2. Rugburn

Rugburn Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    On my home gaming pc adblocking is the norm and that will never change. However, I do visit this site regularly on my mobile devices without adblocking.

One thing I never do is click on an ad..

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Just to drop my two cents:
    I've been browsing guru3d mostly from work to be honest, and on this machine I haven't come across an adblock. If so, I can't really change it though, corporate IT policy, you know the tune.
    On my home machine I now disabled adblock. Trying to help the site here, too bad it feels like the browsing is slowed down due to those ads loading in the background (tabs take way longer to 'finish' loading properly).

4. kendoka15

kendoka15 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    If a site deserves to be unblocked, it's guru3d, especially after this well explained post. If only other sites would try and understand that intrusive ads are the very reason many people are turning to ad blockers and make a post like this one, without of course any salt though some may be unable to resist. I use uBlock, and I disabled it for this site the second I finished reading this :)

5. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Should've said something sooner. Unblocked. Please post your new stats so we can see the results, thanks.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah geez an FPS tracker to make a point ?, get the heck off this website if you dislike us that much.

Seriously you are only looking at your truly insignificant 'problem' and absolutely irrefutably refuse to look at the Guru3D side of things. I wish you the best of luck at another website.

7. Laci

Laci Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Hey Hilbert,

I appreciate your hard work on this and I respect your site, just white-listed it in both of my ad blockers :)

cheers

8. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I don’t use ad-blocks. Generally the sites I visit don’t have too many annoying adds so I don’t mind, because I know you/they need them. Keep up the good work!

9. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I don't get where people are saying there are massive amounts of ads on this site. I disabled my tracking protection in IE 11 and I have no other blockers installed. The only ads I see are a single small banner and a few other ads in between some of the posts, not all of them. There is no background ad and nothing on the sides at all. Right now, on page 17 of this thread, there are 4 ads. The banner at the top and 3 others scattered in between posts. None of the ads are animated and I do have the Flash Player and Java enabled.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There was a siteskin last week, we have these less than a handful per year for a couple of days. Next to that once our pool of static ads is exhausted there will be some rich media (HTML5) ads. Anyway, this all is an argument that cannot be won with some folks, as it is completely fixed in the mindset out of a near fundamental believe. We outed our concern, it is upto the reader base what they deem they can or cannot find acceptable. We made a donation button for those that like to help out, but as expected much like pay-walls (subscriptions). That is not a solution long term I'm afraid as 99% of the folks out there deem that everything on the web needs to be free.

I have explained our concern and the danger that lies therein. Some of the replies have been more than insulting, while other (and I am happy to see) the majority have changed their mind. I have much respect for that.

Again thanks to those who have been willing to listen and or help out.

11. virtuaman

virtuaman New Member

*whitelisted guru3D...

Sorry for this, didnt know the effect...

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I've ALWAYS had AdBlock disabled and will remain that way when using guru3d.com.

It's the very least I can do to support such a great site in which I've been a proud member of for many years and will be for years to come!

I spend most of my time on guru3d here at work so the running of this site is important.

I do not mind ads at all since they are ignored. Even if there is a second or two delay I really don't care.

Happy to see many other supporters out there...

Thanks Hilbert for such a great site with rich content and detailed reviews with all the latest news!

Guru3D is one of MANY sites in which I would gladly pay to subscribe to if necessary.

13. Rexob

Rexob Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 870m 3gb
    Added to my accepted list & donated, love the site - keep up the great work! This is my one-stop site for almost all things tech related anymore.

14. Nictron

Nictron Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 3070 Dual OC
    White-listed.

I would however support other revenue generators.

15. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Working in the ad business (DoubleClick) I truly understand your suffering. We have grown used to blocking ads as they can get annoying most of the time. But we forget that ads are one of the most important mediums for income in the www market.
    I will whitelist your website and most of the websites I hold dear just to put my grain of salt.
    Thank you for leting us know this has been an issue and for taking into consideration our preferences when you are giving your ad space to advertisers.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It is no problem for me to have ads to show on this site. I will either disable the adblocker for this site only or use a different web browser entirely. The reason why I use Adblocker is for the more intrusive ads that pop up all over the screen and Virus purposes.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  17. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I think you need to post this so that everyone can see it at any time, maybe make a video about how to do it on different browsers.
    PLS. SHOW IT SO MANY PEOPLE CAN SEE IT AT ANY TIME.

Sry. for caps but don't want to loose my only page for PC news ....:banana:

18. PepperPuked

PepperPuked Guest

GPU:
    16GB

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And where exactly was this post necessary? You created an account here, just to insult the owner of the site.... Makes you appear a bit like an attention starved *******...

20. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Why was this one necessary? Maybe I missed something but this seemed a bit harsh. The guy was not being rude or even wrong, and he gets attacked? I am really surprised I haven't been smashed yet for not agreeing to unblock and showing why, that Guru3d is pretty heavy on the ad front and therefore "cyber scary"...not saying they're malicious (not intentionally anyway) but definitely a lot of ad and tracking 'activity' here. Too much for my blood.

I would have just kept my mouth shut about it, but then Hilbert suggested we should all remove the cyber condom...I'd like to oblige, but man, I gave you an "std" test, and you came up very risky. Maybe some "herpes" there.

I like Guru3d. I wish there was a solution better than donations. But to me, ads and tracking/spying are not it. They are the bane of the internet, the cancer that is killing it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.