Goodbye Catalyst Control Center :D

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shankly1985, Nov 2, 2015.

1. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    AMD's VSR is hardware based right..I know I can't do 4k, but I am reasonable enough to understand I don't have that scalar on my card, and am not going to whine about it. VSR wasn't a feature they advertised when I bought my card, so I am happy I can do 3k. Don't understand why this is an issue that has to be brought up over and over, it is not liek they are suddenly going to come to your house and solder in some new hardware onto your card so you can have all the resolutions that nvidia does in software.

2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Tabula rasa of the existing stuff should have done long time ago...

We will see if they change deeper the driver too, as it is the Achile point of the A(MD)TI card (and there is nothing really wrong with hardware so far).

I hope they will not do like NVidia for normal consumer ( yeah thumb up +1 on facebook for your +2mhz, don't forget to tweet it too and stream a video :) (no i am not on red side, but it is clearly boring) ).

3. Bezzie

Bezzie Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7870 Ghz Edition
    This right here. LOL People that buy NVidia only buy it because its "Popular" its funny how they pay more for such less and then claim their product is superior... Oxide exposed NVidia (which was great.) oh and FYi the reason nvidia is "Good" is because usually its relying on the Intel chip to do most of the work if you were to base pure GPUvGPU rendering there's no doubt that compute performance of AMD GPUs cant be touched.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

5. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Generally I don't much care for superficial changes, but this doesn't look superficial to me in that it is adding a lot of features that will be configurable on a game-by-game basis in the present profiles, and I hope they carry it to all the settings and not just the overclock settings. I'd like to see them add resolution back into the profiles, too, on a per-game basis--that would be nice for older games.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The temperature control already exists for some GPUs. The only really new thing I saw was that you can now have a per-app Overdrive control.

You of all people must know that this will never happen again.

That and enforceable VSYNC with diividers and triple buffering. That would change everything for me.

7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I can already do that now with my Fury. It's my favourite thing about it!

It's no longer using .NET.

8. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    This is definitely a long overdue change for their amazingly crappy driver software suite. But more than that, this is clearly a copy of GFE with even more legacy software integrated into a new nice interface. I really like what I see here.

I hope the Nvidias similar soon-to-be-released update also gets rid of the legacy control panel alltogether and gets significant performance boost for driver loading and application startup.

9. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    How is it a copy of GFE? I don't see similarities.

10. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    This feature you talking about called "downsampling". VSR/ DSR its just downsampling with fancy name for "regular joe" users...simplified in use via on/ off switch. Was introduced like "new feature" cause joe's don't know any better...

I was able to use 4k (downsampled to 1080p) on my very old gtx 480 long before DSR introduction...even before that, when I owned 8800 Ultra. NOt that I used it a lot...most of the time I used 2880x1620 and 3200x1800 resolutions. And personally I don't give a duck whether it's hardware or software scaler...but possibility to do that is matter. Every ATI card can downsample 2160p/1800p/1620p to 1080p via software scaler...it's just this feature is locked.

11. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    People are annoyed because it could be done via software. In fact, it HAS been done via software before, until they put in things that made manual downscaling not work, and it can still be done with a homebrew program (GeDoSaTo).

Besides all that, people are also annoyed that Nvidia seemingly easily managed to make this practically work with all of their older cards, and AMD basically just did it to have Buzzword parity with Nvidia. Something they could tick off on a "WE HAVE THAT TOO!" list. They do that with a lot of features. It's annoying. They just never curate them.

12. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Well it is hardware based on AMD. So no sense wishing for something it doesn't have is my point. Well you can wish all you want I guess, I just don't think it is gonna change anything.

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Not really. As he explained, even the driver itself could enable VSR for cards that were not supported, and it was working fine. We had people with 5000/6000 series cards using it with no problem at all. After the whole mess (where they wanted it only for the 200/300 series because the 7000 series didn't have the "hardware", lol) it was enabled for the 7000 series too, but they locked out the older cards. The registry keys no longer function.

There is nothing hardware'y' about it, just ****ty marketing. At least NVIDIA's marketing gets them customers.

Since people are going to start saying that I am negative, I am not. If this is the first sign from the "Radeon Group", I'm very happy about it. They seem to care more about software.

On the other hand, if we end up with a pimpled port of CCC with per-app Overdrive control and NOTHING NEW, then it's a travesty. All those resources could be used to make something worthwhile.

Now the usual parrots are gonna say that the drivers have feature "parity" or something. Like what wcccfghtahdtech said about it. :puke2:

14. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Don't forget RGSSAA. It's still my favorite FSAA algorithm out there.

15. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You know you can't 4K VSR as i know it too but modded 15.3-15.5 drivers added 4K VSR for 290(X) in single GPU mode.

There was no soldering hardware needed, simply as few registry hacks and 4K VSR "magically" appear.

No "software" vs "hardware" VSR....simply VSR.

This 4K VSR for 290(X) "disolves" in later driver version without any desoldering in 290(X) GPU, simply a more effective blocking in drivers.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    When it works (i.e., almost never).

17. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

They have never fixed CCC.exe cpu usage in idle.
    Nvidia Inspector has simple GUI... but pretty much all features are available (frame limit didn't work good though).
    For those who said VSR is hardware based... let me remind you that it is possible to unlock VSR for 5000/6000 series cards with Omega drivers (14.12).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
  18. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Guest

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    i love this new look and idea and never had a issue with vsr if i wanted 4k i use custom drivers and vsr performs much better and faster than the nvidia solution by far

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Where is the custom 15.10 drivers who enables 4K VSR in 290(X)?

Thanks.

20. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB

It's magic for older games GTA 3/Vice/San Andreas, Richard Burns Rally...nothing can came even close to RGSSAA. 3dfx legacy lives on! :)