The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well, i have to admit, that´s a big difference. But from my understanding there´shouldn´t be such a difference between seeing ads and not seeing them with the current systems we currently use. Could this be a problem with your ISP or something???

Really strange, no wonder some of you guys really need to use Adblock and such stuff :\

I guess the only solution for you guys is to create an exception for Guru3d. and continue to use Adblock.

2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    After some tinkering in about:config I got the site loading at an acceptable speed with ads enabled.

3. draugr

draugr Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC AC+
    whitelisted! long live Guru3d!

4. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    I recently upgraded from 100/10 Mb/s connection to 250/15 Mb/s, because my ISP bumps up speeds every two years for less money (crazy right? well not, because competition is healthy here) and i would not believe what an HUGE difference it is. And i don't talk about downloading, but simple browsing! One would assume that you will not see improvements from some point, but it seems that is not true.

5. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    From the view of a site owner i understand but in a year with daily news about hacking and spying crap its really hard for me to find any sympathy for anything that places money over privacy and security. The current ad system is cancer for the web. Ad-blocking is the consequence. Do not blame people for protecting themself. We all know the problems with current system. Fix it instead of asking people to ignore it. I like G3D and i wish you the best for finding a better way to get your bills paid but sorry, no white-listing.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I understand that I am probably talking to a wall here, but you seem to forget to mention that you are not actually noticing the delay. Ads are loaded into an iframe, e.g. all content is loaded and once you get a delayed ad for whatever reason, it loads separately from the rest of the content.

7. Sethos

Sethos Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    I turned off adblocking for a few days. I've received about 10 warnings from Malwarebytes every time I've visited the damn site, blocking an ad link. This is also why I adblock - Your chance has been blown.

EDIT: Malicious Website Protection, Domain, 88.214.193.91, n1.smartyads.com, 7120, Outbound

That's the offender.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  8. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    first world problems :D

9. DooGie

DooGie Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    I use Adblock Plus in Firefox but decided to whitelist guru3d after Hilbert's plea. I found only a minimal increase in load time for the site. what does concern me though is the massive increase in tracking cookies found by SUPERAntiSpyware since I whitelsted this site.

So I did a little experiment last night. I ran CCleaner then ran SAS which found no tracking cookies. Next I enabled Adblock Plus on guru3d and stayed on the site for 15 minutes, came off and ran SAS again which found 2 tracking cookies. So far ok.
    I next ran CCleaner again then came back on guru3d and whitelisted guru3d in Adblock Plus. Stayed on for another 15 minutes then ran SAS again, this time it found 43 tracking cookies.
    That's enough for me. I'm leaving Adblock on. As much as I love this site I value my privacy and security more.

10. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    There you go. Unless the owner of the sight controls the script/code for EVERY add that appears you're going to get baddies.

As for slow down from ads, I think it has a lot to do with how fast or even if the ad servers themselves respond. If some banner is trying to load an ad or cookie from a dead/congested ad server your browser gets stuck waiting on them. A lot of times I've seen "waiting for data from some_adserver_I didnt_want_to_go_to.org" in the task bar. You get about 12 of those and things probably get held up a bit.

11. Trinoo

Trinoo Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    Whitelisted :)

12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    You know what guys, I love you and what you do (news articles and forum) might as well whitelist your site(s) for being genuine (which is uncommon these days...) same goes for Tom Logan's Overclock3D.

13. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Wow really? I was just showing why some run adblock on sites like yours. I currently have Adblock disabled on the forum but after your talking to a wall comment I might reconsider it.

14. Broken Haiku

Broken Haiku Member

GPU:
    AMD 280x 3GB
    I've started blocking on a per-ad basis. I don't mind at all the hardware ads and so, it's the "date 10000 Asian women" and "your drivers are not up to date" crap that I block here.

15. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Tracking cookies are harmless. They are not malware by any stretch of the imagination. You can eliminate a lot of them by blocking third party cookies in your browser.

16. DooGie

DooGie Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Yes I know tracking cookies are really harmless text files really.

However I didn't realise how many were being downloded from guru3d before.

17. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Added to whitelist as soon as I read this. I never really thought about it to be honest as I just have Adblock enabled for everything. Your ads aren't that intrusive either so it's all good

Been a big fan of this site from the beginning, even if I'm not active on the forums. It's one of my daily stops when browsing

Keep up the good work!

18. Ryukrieger

Ryukrieger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I have AdBlocker disabled for Guru3D (and other sites I like/trust, YouTube included).
    For donations, there's the button at the bottom of the article for anyone who wanted to. I think some with the idea of "Subscription" can be a good idea, too.
    For anyone who uses AdBlock due to "dodgy" ads.... there's the whitelist for a reason.

19. Chaython

Chaython Guest

GPU:
    AMD/7970/3GB
    Yes it's full of redundant content but also has a lot of valuable content and the quality of content is much better in general, however so is the quantity.
    This site is hard to navigate, with the home page having nearly no content, and not being able to find more valuable content within the forum.... Also some people are interested in the motherboard layout, I had to drop from an h100i to a h90 because the one fan screw was ever so slightly pinching the cpu power connector on my z97n-wifi board which was pushing the cord out of the slot.
    Maybe if I had realized in my configuration the 4 pin power being the side that it is facing the direction that it is, I wouldn't have bought the board? Their reviews are great and in depth, and if I wanted to use a forum I'd rather go to Overclock.net as guru3d and anand's forum look like they were developed in the stone age for the stone age and don't plan on any improvements any time soon, hard to navigate a lack of reputation features, less community groups and a ton of other garbage assures I will never white-list, and I will continue to consume the content at random in hopes of improvement as I have for the past few years.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this does not change the fact the time a page start and finishes loading is on the order of 3 times faster then with ads depending on the system and isp speeds. I dont care if "main" content loaded in 3 seconds but it takes another 6+ to finish loading ads and actual finish totally loading the page. If main content loads faster then the actual adds then there is more ads then content.

Even if it is started and finished loading with in secs of each other. Can you guarantee no bad ad with malware wont slip threw? no you can not cause you dont control google/yahoo ads service and they them selves have been in the news for let it happen countless times on legit sites.

Not using adblockers in this day in age is like not protecting your self when have sex.

Guarantee that ads will NOT slow down the webpages TOTAL load times and NO ad shown guru3d will ever have malware some how embedded in it, and I will gladly whitelist the site. you might be able to Guarantee the loading time will be same with out and with ads, but you cant guarantee the 2nd one no site can, less they do there own ads in house.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.