The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarKGameR177IN

DarKGameR177IN Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB
    White-listed :nerd:

2. WiCz

WiCz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290X OC WF
    When websites provide buttons I can click to enable/disable ads, I will turn off my adblocker.

3. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Haha, I found it pretty funny...and I stole it too.

4. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Been on Guru3d for quite some time now, love what you're doing. Just so used to have adblocker on. Whitelisted straight, keep up the good work people <3

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Donated, too.

6. Italia1

Italia1 Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 290x 4 GB
    Some italian site are terrible with adblockers off, so adblockers are always on with max block. G3D and some other are very acceptable

7. JoseyWales

JoseyWales Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 2GIG
    We worked really hard to put the ads were they would not be in the way or in your face when we redid the style for the site..

The trackers used for them are to tailor the adds to things you are interested in and they don't collect personally identifiable information. On most of the adds you can also choose not to see that type again if you like. Mostly the ads display stuff similar to whatever article you are reading but will tailor to your likes if you click on a few or use the like/no-like system with the ads.

Guru3d is one of the few sites I have worked on that do the SEO and ad content correctly..

8. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    In IE with a tracking protection list, the button is there for every website. There's a little icon in the address bar that turns blue when things are being blocked. Right click on that and you can chose to turn the blocking off. Then the icon is grey and will remain that way in future visits to the site. You can also very easily turn it back on as well.

9. Freitlein

Freitlein Member

GPU:
    VII
    I don't like commercials and I rly hate agressive, tracking ones. The last thing I blocked here was the stupid cookie-message. If you die - don't blame on me. I never was unblocked on the way and I wont change my mind because of 'money reasons' by risking my privacy + making these advertising-****heads thinking they can even go some more steps further. Donation is possible of course! Thats what I do for years! Just the better way in my mind. Keep blocking! :F

10. Comrade_Jerkov

Comrade_Jerkov Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1
    I've been actively visiting this site for over a decade. I feel bad that I was blindly contributing to its loss of revenue :(

Either way, permanently whitelisted!

11. Freitlein

Freitlein Member

GPU:
    VII
    my donation is instructed

12. Aegis

Aegis Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim X
    Sad to see the impact this is having on Guru3D. I've been coming here since the Geforce 2MX days (SoftQuadro!!) and really appreciate Hilbert's work over the years. But advertising and data-mining has become a cancer to the internet and I'd rather see beloved sites fold than users capitulate to Google et al.

I adblock every site I visit - out of concern for my privacy and the security of my PC. G3D's woes won't change that I'm afraid. Perhaps if enough people follow suit then things will change for the better - they can hardly get worse.

All the same, I hope Guru3D manages to endure and perhaps adapt to a business model that isn't a house of cards.

13. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    Reading some of the replies here it's as if some of you dudes need to get off the internet if you're 110% concerned about privacy like some of you say you are....maybe get off and take it back 20 years, start buying magazines again and just flip past THE ADS!
    It's like a vegetarian walking into a butcher shop complaining about no vegetables around.
    And before you jump to your conclusions, this is coming from a guy who's got Flashcontrol, AdGuard, AdBlock and Ghostery running on my browser....

You might be able to take a PC apart with your eyes closed, but I swear some of you tech guys are the biggest morons when it comes to real life because you're in this weird bubble, where you lack that "street smart common sense" about even the simplest things, in this case it's how the world and the internet work in 2015, are you really expecting it to work 100% in your favor, this big huge thing called the world wide web...

You can choose to be a one sided idiot about it, or you can work both sides and find a way to make it work fairly both ways, for you AND the content provider... for example what I do here on websites I like, I disable both my AdBlocks so I see the ads, but I keep Ghostery and Flashblock on because I don't like the tracking stuff and I hate the pop up flash windows that come out of nowhere.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So like anyone else i don´t like ads but i can live with them and for that reason i don´t use anything to block them but what i find curious is that a lot of users are complaining that viewing ads hurts their performance a great deal and my question is: how is that possible???
    Any ****ty dual core with a 1GB RAM is more than enough to surf the web without any problems. The only explanation for this is that a lot of Guru3d members have really crappy internet connections or have their PCs filled with so much malware and spyware that their systems are performing worse than my old PC...

15. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    What I really meant was that without advertising revenues, we would not have magazines, newspapers, TV shows and networks, and the internet. If we did have them, they would be much more expensive. It's just a shame that in the case of the internet, criminals have taken advantage. I will continue to block ads on nearly every page but I have made an exception , for the time being, for this site.

16. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    In Windows 10, go to a site that is heavy in ads with IE with a tracking list, or Chrome with AdBlock. Then go to that same site with Edge, which currently has no blocking capability and you will see the page load significantly slower even though Edge is natively at least as fast as the others and probably faster.

On an Android tablet or phone, the difference is also noticeable and that's without Flash capability in most cases. There is no question that ads do slow browsing down. On many sites it's hardly noticeable though.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    If that´s the case, then W10 or Edge have some serious issues because i use Firefox with no ad ons on W7 with my current system, that you can see in my profile, and i have no performance issues when seeing ads.
    The only time when i had problems with online ads was when my system was infested by some nasty malware crap that would slow my system and would show a ton of hyperlinks in every webpage i visited.

Either way, in this cases the problem doens´t reside in the ads but in the software or system.

18. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    You won't know if you always browse the same way. Find a site heavy with ads and browse it with whatever browser you want with the ads blocked and without and you will see a difference. It is totally in the additional content of the ads, especially flash based ones, where the slowdowns occur. I didn't say you would have "problems", just that there definitely is a difference on some sites. Most of the time you can browse perfectly fine without blocking anything but it will be faster if the additional content is blocked. Of course, more powerful systems will see less of a difference.

19. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Load time with ads:
    [​IMG]

Load time without ads:
    [​IMG]

20. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I hadn't used any kind of adblock in the past until I changed my antivirus a few months ago. I finally figured out how to disable the antivirus adblock feature in Chrome so it's showing ads again.... I don't mind having ads on Guru3d by any means, anyone who thinks these websites are able to stay affloat without ad revenue is smoking some really bad crack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.