The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    I completely understand, i got so used to adbp that i forgot some webs dont use "intrusive" ads. so, disabled.

2. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    White listed, didn't even thinked for a second after reading your article. Keep up the good work ;)

3. NoClip

NoClip Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    Can anyone answer this... Does Ghostery stop things like Google Analytic's from registering page views? Because it seems like it does. It seems hits are still counted but not actual page views.

Just curious because i run a few sites.

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I always try to remember to whitelist the forums and main page in Adblock. I've been a member on your forums for over 10 years and would hate to see you have to close shop because I caused you not to make money. Also have you checked to see if your site meets the criteria to get whitelisted in Adblock?

Adblock whitelist criteria

Form to whitelist your site

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Regarding copy/paste in articles - there's really no point in re-writing the information presented in (for example) the architecture sections of hardware reviews as it's relevant for all variants of that particular piece of hardware and it would be a huge waste of time to word it differently just for the sake of it. Besides, I imagine the regular readers would be more interested in SKU specifics and the benchmark sections, the copy/paste tech stuff is basically there so you don't have to go searching back through older reviews to find it!

Branching out into other areas is ok in theory but I think when you start doing that your costs go up proportionally. Consider the fact Hilbert is reponsible for virtually all content on the site and the amount of time it takes him to benchmark the hardware, write the reviews, attend press events etc., it's not just some part time hobby - it's a full time job. If you start taking on more staff to add content then that would have to be paid for, and of course workload for the editors increases too. Also it risks the content going off in a different direction which, although not necessarily a bad thing, would definitely change the tone and atmosphere of the site from what it currently is, and I think the reason the site has been as successful as it has is because of that atmosphere.

As for ads being supplied by a 3rd party; I think this is favourable as it allows the site to remain as neutral as possible. Serving up ads directly from specific companies would suggest a conflict of interest. This is afterall an independent site and it needs to survive on its own and right now using 3rd party ad providers is the way that can happen without impacting the objectivity of the content.

@Scizyr - some strong accusations there, though apparently hypocritical considering you appear to work for a hardware company that's well known for pre-installing browser-hijacking crapware such as pokki on their machines. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything, if you think the ads here are a security risk then don't whitelist it. fwiw I have been on here practically everyday for the last 10 years and never experienced any problem whatsoever caused by an ad. If you truly think this is nothing more than a phishing site then please do yourself a favour and gtfo.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I agree with this article, I don't block ads - I only block ads for specific sites where I find the adverts annoying or where excessive CPU consumption is seen (Toms Hardware and Notebook Review Forums are the only two where I 'have' to block ads). I don't block ads on Guru3d, the Guru3d ads are fine - don't use loads of CPU resources & aren't intrusive - well done Guru3d team!

7. Batboy

Batboy Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan X Hyb.
    You have a point!

Anyway, I whitelisted Guru3d.com now. Alike from other similar sites, it feels like something "family-related" here. Hence I had no problem to tolerate and understand the Hilbert's crying. I cannot imagine receiving this crying from websites like Tom's Hardware... I couldn't tolerate it :wanker:

Edited: I can accept techie ads, but could anyone tell me for what I need Russian ads selling jewelry???? :bang:

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Not happening considering IF I allow them this webpage like many other sites it slow down loading considerable, not to mention the fact TEXT start have link popup of there own to ads.

Maybe it FF that is the issue, dont know but I see the same slowdown in IE too and I have 120mbit connection so have fast connection. Sorry but the Moment I started SEEING ad link in the TEXT of articles and on the forums post was the moment I started blocking . Not to mention ads are using flash now video ads etc etc.

Yes I thinking about my self and what I want, and what I want to not to get infected by malware/spyware/viruses from ads, which they can come threw and they have got threw yahoo/google ads before. so not happening and mostly do to the slowdown it causes, and the annoying pop up ad links

Implement Ads in way were it is ONLY banner ads no video/flash ads no text link popup ads and ads and it DONT slow down the loading and I Will think about it.

You can always setup donation for the site, I sure there are many people that would donate

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI

You could always just not visit! It's pretty simple, really!

10. HaarKaaN

HaarKaaN Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FE 2202/9600
    Im so sorry Hilbert :(

Guru3d is now whitelisted :)

11. zhalonia

zhalonia Active Member

GPU:
    r9 290 4gb
    whilest i do understand your concern i would like to have a word in this .. if your site is dependable on ads .. don't you think its more your fault instead of the users ? i mean i never liked adds not on my tv between programs not anywhere TBH i find this a load of bull**** to come at your users and blame them for the whole thing .. i remember something as my own opinion .. also if you let adds control not only your income but your collegues aswell :O ! look my say here is don't let adds rule the world make an income of something else instead of going the easy way for money because i will never change my opinion we are beeing drowned in adds these days and i hate it and will hate guru3d and everything else that goes this way yes i might be a rebel but if someone doesn't take a stand who will !? and also when i clicked the article wich has no comments at the bottem is suspicious aswell - don't blame the users blame the adds that we block for a reason ! i expected guru3d wich knows more of the problem then most to had a diffrent reaction .. its not because you don't use pop-ups ar take over adds that you should not be justified whilest you are just as as bad as all the other sites lose adds and make your own income and make something of this site make it real ! JUST DO IT ! lol sry if this came across hard but this is how i feel and i do feel bad for you guys but hey that is not the users fault let's be clear on that !

12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    There is no other way for guru3d to keep existing if ad revenue is removed, hilbert does not sell or gain revenue any other way.

If you're a true member of guru3d you'd understand.

13. Bishiff

Bishiff Guest

GPU:
    980Ti X 2
    I agree with the donation service. There are too many scumbag ad companies that push out nasty stuff and I can't let my machines be vulnerable to that. Even if you claim that you will check them out, can you be absolutely sure they are what they are? This has come up many times in the past on other sites with ads that were assumed to be good but did some nasty things to a person's PC. Maybe there's an alternative way to display ads?

14. zhalonia

zhalonia Active Member

GPU:
    r9 290 4gb
    sad that it had to go this way then ... an advise a new other site and better prepared for the future is what i would say and have a great evening !

15. Batboy

Batboy Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan X Hyb.
    Not polite. Besides, the guy is simply fed up with the privacy issues. I have Windows 10, and I had to disable tons of privacy crap.

Every visitor is different and with different opinions and needs.

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Is there a way I can simply donate to Guru3d rather than see ads? I really dislike and disagree with advertising in general, so to make up for this, what are some other ways I can contribute to help the site?

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    4 second or less to finish loading forums/main site (time till loading bar/circle finishes)

10 seconds or long to finish loading forums/main site (time till loading bar/circle finishes)

Both are using Flash ads mian page is using side bar FULL length adds. and i hate site that do that full length of page banner ads.

Guru3d Ads at lest on main page are just as intrusive and annoying as Gamespot ads. only difference is Gamespot is insanely slow loading. With out ABP running and the VIDEO adds are frequent there. even with ABP running it crazy slow, so much to the point I stoped going there. I sooner stop coming to webpage then turn of ABP.

Use ads that dont kill the loading time and dont use flash/video ads then again three pretty much no site out there i seen that dont use ads in way they there way to much of them and the significantly slow down loading. 10/15 years ago it wast to bad now it just way to much.

Like I said set up donation for the site . guarantee there be more people willing to do that then disable ad blockers.

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I guess it depends on how much you want to give. Personally I would like to see some form of yearly subscription service with added benefits.

19. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Best way imo is to set up account access with ad-free subscriptions and perhaps other incentives, no need for a paywall, that'll just stop people coming but giving the option to have users access the website without the need for adverts for a small fee would certainly outweigh the negatives. £5 for an ad-free subscription a year vs 1 penny per ad-click? And if it really is 50% of people blocking all ads, the potential gains are enormous.

I'd happily pay £5 to stop adverts on this site rather than disabling adblock and getting annoyed with ads.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ABP does not block the donation link in contact us link either. I recommend putting the Donation link on the main page at the right corner. or better yet top right corner of every page on main site. most people dont go in to contact us less they have reason too. so most would never see the link in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.