Motherboard BIOS Firmware update can trigger Windows 10 Inactive

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 21, 2015.

1. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I updated my bios a few weeks ago and Windows 10 is still activated no issues, I'm wondering if this might be tied to uefi, I disabled uefi in my bios maybe thats why it made no difference to my Windows install after updating my bios who knows, this is not good tho, reminds me of Ubisoft, I have a copy of anno2070 that can no longer be installed because my computer has a different Graphics card now it registers it as a new computer, absolute joke :wanker:

2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I've had my Win 10 unactivate on my previous system when I was pushing my CPU for a stronger OC...

After a few clock increases my Windows was no longer activated.

3. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    I keep changing my max OC on CPU week by week. I should have experience this way back.

4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    May I ask what will be replacing your current CPU and RAM?

5. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    I will put the FX CPU in and i had to remove 8 gigs of ram before(when i had win 8.1, because of my current CPU cooler, it is big). I will simply put it back . Also i will update the MOBO bios for the "latest" beta.
    Just for experiment , i try to install and run win 10 from usb 3.0 flash drive. Kinda fast, read 290 write 80+.

P.s.: also lot of work has to be done on my rig so it may take some extra time(cable, painting etc.).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It happened after a crash when I had to set things back to a previous value. Though the Gigabyte mobo I had back then would temporarily set the multipliers back to stock if this happened.

I left the PC unattended at that time and it booted at 3.4 Ghz instead of anything beyond 4.5 Ghz.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nope. Windows10 Home on 1 and Windows10 Pro on 2...

8. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    It's exactly this kind of screw-up that keeps me away from any new OS for at least one year after RTM if possible. So until Windows 10 is mature I won't be touching it with a ten-foot pole. Besides, I'm waiting for Kaby Lake before I upgrade again. Windows 10 should be mature by then.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I like how Microsoft make it easy for the consumer.

That is sarcasm.

10. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia Titan
    /rant Why do people stick with this cluster****? It's like a vicious circle every few years....whine whine whine yet you do nothing to change it. pathetic /rantoff

11. Oh how i wish that Linux have better support (for games and regular users who don't have time/will to bother too much with OS), whoever didn't try it, give ti a chance/time once you try it, you will not regret it, the amount of power/control you have over OS is unparallel, and no activation nonsense.

And no, i am not some guy who think it's over others for the OS he uses, I consider myself an idiot for not giving it a chance way earlier, and losing my nerves with Windows.

That said, i still have Windows partition for games i play from time to time. So for gamers who wouldn't like to bother with OS, i wouldn't recommend complete transition to Linux, Windows is simply way ahead in terms of supported games etc.

12. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Ran into this problem myself when I was building my mother a new computer, was not fun having to re-install everything again... >.<

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I guess there are advantages of having an older board that doesn't get bios updates anymore.....

14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    All in good time, Linux is still growing (~1%) give it another ten years.

15. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Actually, it's quite the opposite...

16. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Been a non issue for me upgraded my bios a number of times.

17. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I think the activation issues happens when ether..

1. bios was legacy bios and updated to uefi bios, which causes windows to redetect everything.

2. bios was only partial uefi. meaning it had hybrid uefi boot loader. and bios updated converted it over to full uefi causing windows to redetect everything.

anybody bios updates that changes the uefi system and the way it communicates with windows can cause activation issues.

18. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I've upgraded my motherboard bios this weekend and my windows still working just fine. Still activated. I have DSP copy of windows.

Upgraded my motherboard from 1.B to 1.C and my windows is still activated.

19. BedantP

BedantP Guest

GPU:
    1660Ti
    You know what? Ubuntu 15.10 is gonna release today. I'm gonna take it for a spin, if it turns out good, I'll probably dualboot and spend 99% of my time with it.

PS. I've updated bios 2 times, no issues till now.
    The reason I hate 10 is it's still too slow.
    When I tried Ubuntu, it worked way faster.
    I also get more FPS in Minecraft in Ubuntu than Windows. Since MC is one of the few games that run natively on Linux w/Java, it's a fair comparison using NVIDIA Binary Drivers.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If it's gonna look like this, I might give it a shot too

[​IMG]