Motherboard BIOS Firmware update can trigger Windows 10 Inactive

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Looks like they can't do their job right... again.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've installed Win10 on 5 systems.... Only 2 of which are still running Win10. The other 3 have either been returned to Win8.1 or are now running Linux.... Win10, as far as I'm concerned, is a disaster. Sure, it's uptake has been better than Win8.x, but it's also had a lot more problems and they seem to be getting worse in some cases.

4. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    Most likely the bios update I just added 16gb to my pc and it's still activated.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    And you want to 'reduce' piracy Microsoft? Nice job

KMS

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's a free update. You know what they say about looking in a gift horse's mouth.

I don't honestly know why they want to be so spartan ***** communists about it. Bill Gates should visit the house for one last time and remind MS that PCs have a long, long history of being assembled of individual parts that people can upgrade one by one. It's as if MS has forgotten that and believes everybody's only running laptops, tablets, and phones.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's not truly a free upgrade, it consumes the key you used for the OS you upgraded from

if it was free, that license would still work for that previous OS

8. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Gigabyte recommended the BIOS update for you personally? That BIOS only adds support for 5xxx series Intel Core CPUs. It doesn't say anything about performance or reliability. Traditional wisdom says "unless the BIOS update fixes a specific issue you are experiencing- then don't do it".

Still this shouldn't be an issue, and I'm sure they will fix it soon. I got the impression that upgrade mobo's need a new license, but if you can't even get an exact replacement mobo(which might have newer bios), then it will be the last Windows I use.

Too bad for you. I find 10 to be the fastest, most stable version ever.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've installed Win10 on 5 different systems. Only 2 are even remotely stable. The other 3 were rendered unusable due to crashing. These 3 systems are perfectly stable with Win8.1.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Same here. Non-issue OS for me atm. Although didnt update anyhing to relate this topic so who knows...

11. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Thanks Hilbert for making the post... Honestly if I was aware of this issue I would not have updated my BIOS. I find it ridiculous that a BIOS update ruins the Windows activation.

As for those complaining about Windows 10 as an Operating System. Personally I did not have any major issues with it, and it was fairly stable as an Operating System. But I know people who do complain from issues with Windows 10, especially if they're running old hardware.

I just hope that for the sake of everyone... At least if Microsoft can't fix this issue that Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, or any other motherboards that have this issue place a massive warning message in RED on the BIOS pages of every board that has this issue. That way at least someone who isn't aware of such an issue does not fall under the impression that a simple "stability and compatibility" BIOS update would render their Windows 10 keys useless.

EDIT: I am off to formatting my computer and doing the whole upgrade, then clean format process all over again.

12. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    bios reset ****ed my windows 10...

13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I have flashed my motherboard on three separate occasions since installing Windows 10 and have yet to run into any activation problems.

14. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I do suspect it doesn't happen with every motherboard. Otherwise there would be many more complaints.

15. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I thought MS was allowing people who had pirated copies of former versions on Windows upgrade for free? If that's the case what is with all this activation non-sense?

Here's a free upgrade for our OS as long as you have a recent version of Windows on your PC, even a pirated one you can upgrade for free but you still need to jump through hoops to get it.

This was the easiest job in the world for MS, the whole concept of a free OS is something a monkey should have been able to roll out without issue, let alone a company of MSes size and resource. So why are they still making such a massive arse of this?

Ignoring the skivy data mining that seems to be going on in the background of Win10, THIS right here is why I have so far ignored my 'free' upgrade from 8.1 to 10 and unless MS get's it sh*t together I see no reason to upgrade (and no Dx12 isn't a reason, like every other major Dx hype train it will turn out to be rumour and bluster a bit of extra performance and not much else.)

16. shd_66

shd_66 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3650AGP
    Not an activation issue....but ran into two pc's now that had their Bios screwed up within 24 hours after Windows 10 removed the old system back up. 1 could be saved after multiple tries the other one couldn't. Owner decided to buy a new one instead of a new chip. Both were some older Amd boards from Asus and Msi with non Uefi Bios.

17. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    I will do a bios flash soon as well. Let see what happens :D
    Also cpu and ram will be changed. Finally my water cooling arrives tomorrow.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    They are, but the resulting install will be unactivated

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Microsoft are improving activation with Windows 10 TH2. For those with issues on Windows 10, did you just do an upgrade, or an upgrade then a clean install? The risk with just updating is that any issues and crap you have on your previous Windows gets transferred over, and it is this that can cause issues. Other issues can be related to drivers, more specifically Windows 10 based drivers. These issues aren't a result of Windows 10, but the driver itself. Like a friend with a certain flame-war starting piece of hardware that he hasn't had a good Windows 10 driver on yet. It's alright, I pay him out about it :D.

20. gelatinepudding

gelatinepudding Guest

GPU:
    8gb
    Windows 10

Did you use Windows 10 Enterprise edition, because I know Windows 10 Enterprise edition is buggy. Things like VAC and iTunes dont work. I had to downgrade to Pro edition, which came with all the bloatware (Cortana, Edge browser, Appstore, etc).