NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It only works on DX10+ games. And YES if you are enhancing a DX10+ game with SGSSAA. MFAA will interfere with it.

What you are describing can't happen. MFAA only functions under DXGI.

2. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti

3. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    And I suppose you are the big expert here? :)
    This was written specifically in regards to driver hardware AA modes, and in that respect it is quite accurate.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Or rather you are the one who isn't as informed as he thinks he is.
    [​IMG]
    That table is 95% accurate when it comes to the options and techniques available to us within the driver for Nvidia GPUs.

The only things that need changing and clarifying is that TrSSAA samples don't need to be matched to MSAA color samples like FSGSSSAA does.

And the OGSSAA levels should have a note inserted to explain that those examples are assuming a base resolution of 1920x1080.
    They indeed ARE equivalent to DSR levels because DSR is OGSSAA.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  6. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Is it? Because the last time I checked (OG)SSAA and SGSSAA were two different things, yet he managed to put them into direct correlation. Hell, according to him OGSSAA IS SGSSAA. Which is even more ridiculous considering the screenshot from Inspector he put there, because you can't enable SGSSAA that way. Another bull**** is info that SGSSAA can be enhanced only in DX10+. Wrong, it can be enhanced in ANY game, but forced only in DX9 games.

7. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I don't state anywhere, that OGSSAA and SGSSAA are related in any way.
    But,

16xS + 4xSGSSAA = (2x2 OGSSAA + 4xMSAA) + 4xSGSSAA

And what I mean is, that in DX10+ your ONLY option is to enhance MSAA with SGSSAA.
    The title of the table column is "API limitations" ;)

And regarding the NVIDIA Inspector "screenshots", this is just meant to illustrate certain aspects of the process not the entire driver profile.
    The table is meant as an AA overview for enthusiasts, and obviously can't replace basic knowledge of the drivers and NVIDIA Inspector :3eyes:
    For more details, you should look at the examples in the full spreadsheet instead:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15UvZ6COCpaD8JJkMqB4KMTxBXoEfDuaDiiP--H4BJ-U/edit?pli=1#gid=1911323755

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  8. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    why do you act like such an ass always?

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Sorry you are misinformed, and you are being an ******* about it.
    [​IMG]
    SGSSAA and OGSSAA have nothing to do with one another, but fun fact. Like the table mentions, did you know when you force HSAA you can also combine it with SGSSAA?
    That's EXACTLY what he's talking about. Hence "Examples" in the spreadsheet. Read with your eyes man.

HSAA modes are OGSSAA+MSAA. You can match any MSAA level used in an HSAA mode with the corresponding SGSSAA mode.

His chart also reflects that SGSSAA can only forced in DX8/9, NOT in DX10. In DX10 it can only be enhanced into games that have MSAA. Which often ends up poor.

And SGSSAA can't be used in OGL because the function is slightly different in OGL in games that will let you use it.

TrSSAA is actually SGSSAA that only applies to alpha marked/test objects in D3D and SGSSSAA is FSSGSSAA while applies to the whole scene.

In OGL however there is only one function and that is FSSGSSAA using the TrSSAA option that applies to the whole scene.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  10. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Now I get it! "Lost in translation" got a whole new dimension of meaning here. I was reading that 2x2 OGSSAA + 4xMSAA is 4xSGSSAA. Though combining downsampling with SGSSAA is... a bit much.

Well, translated into my language it means you can only enhance it in DX10+ games.

11. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Yes, being sincere is being *******. You're such a pussy. Wipe your tears and get over it.

12. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Posted on Neogaf (thanks BONKERS), a SGSSAA flag was found for Tales of Zestiria, seems to work pretty well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=182302790&postcount=1330
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=182303621&postcount=1335

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yup, I ended up sleeping longer than expected. So my post will be going up here soon with more pictures and comparisons.

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    - Tales of Zestiria -

0x084012C5 - SGSSAA (4x,8x Only)
    Do not enable the AA fix in this game. As it decreases the quality of the AA

*Do not enable the in game FXAA at the same time as it will cause a conflict with SGSSAA*

This flag gives the best results with the least UI blurring issues without affecting AA quality. (That's what the 5 on the end is for.)

The other flags/bits are necessary for; 1. AA to function, 2.For the Shadow Maps and Depth of Field to be AA'd. *However it is worth noting that for whatever reason Shadow Map Anti Aliasing does not work at resolutions above 2048x1152 for 4x or 8x. So keep that in mind*
    DoF example comparison - The screenshots are upscaled to show the aliasing/undersampling artifacts in the shot without AA

As well, the game uses two different DoF effects it seems. One can be AA'd the other cannot.

0x08401245 - MSAA (No TrSSAA)"
    This is the optimal flag for MSAA.

*DO NOT enable the in game FXAA when using MSAA. As it will cause the screen to flash like crazy during gameplay. This is a consequence of the right flag needed for MSAA to work.*

MSAA works about as well as you'd expect for geometry aliasing. It's not very costly either. Do note, that this won't do anything for various other types of aliasing.
    It's still preferable for the most part to FXAA. And if it wasn't currently bugged, you could force Driver FXAA alongside it and mix that with downsampling too.

Other methods available:

*Remember, downsampling + forced AA only works with custom resolutions and DSR!*

GeDoSaTo(Vendor Agnostic): Since this game is DX9, this means downsampling with GeDoSaTo is open to use if that is what you prefer. You can use this to also inject SMAA/FXAA and various shaders. (Using GeDoSaTo SMAA/FXAA on top of forced AA however isn't a good solution)

To Force AA and use GeDoSaTo at the same time requires the DisplayResolution and RenderResolution to be the same.(Also meaning that the resolution you want to use also has to be an available custom resolution you've created in NVCP)
    With Nearest filtering enabled, it's essentially the same as using a custom resolution. Using Lanczos though to essentially pre-filter the image does actually improve IQ a noticeable amount

Nvidia Driver FXAA: The Driver FXAA is slightly better (IMO) than the built in FXAA. The downside is that it also affects the UI, but any issues from that will be mitigated from Oversampling (From Downsampling) if you choose to do so. Comparison

VSR and DSR(AMD<>NV):
    Because this is actually a pretty decent port, it supports arbitrary resolutions. Meaning the sky is the limit!
    Specifically for Nvidia Users, you can use DSRTool as linked in the AA Document. To get some insanely high resolutions with DSR that also work with ANY forced AA or the in game FXAA!

Custom Resolution Downsampling (Vendor Agnostic):
    I wouldn't really recommend this as it isn't the best quality. But it WILL result in the sharpest results at high ratios. At the cost of increasing the amount of aliasing. You can search on your own for how to do this if you want.

Pictures:

No AA - Field | City | Cutscene
    In game FXAA - Field | City | Cutscene
    4xMSAA - Field | City | Cutscene
    8xSGSSAA - Field | City | Cutscene

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  15. emusa

emusa Guest

GPU:
    Asus 780 (1140/6600 OC)
    Just wanted to get back to you one more time.

I tried the "12xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 4x OGMS (D3D only)]" setting, and it's actually even nicer than what you suggested. I had some weird small stutters/hiccups every now and then using SGSSAA, but with the "12xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 4x OGMS (D3D only)]" it's 100% steady & really clean.

Don't know why, but I wanted to share it with you - and other interested folks :)

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Thanks for the feedback. Glad it was helpful. The performance problem may be related to the current AA-Stuttering bug introduced in 353.50 onward perhaps.
    (The last working driver without this issue in some games was 347.88)
    Either way, whatever works is just fine. :)

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It has come to my attention that for some users, using GFE causes forcing AA not to work... I find this bizarre. Can anyone verify this???

18. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    What kind of AA is The Park using?

19. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    I use GE for Shadowplay, The games I can force SGSSAA work with or without GE installed, even when I do the "optimize games" thingy it just changes the in-game settings in the file created by the game and in some cases it edits the Nvidia Profile which if you open Nvidia Inspector you see a custom profile for the game.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Does it not mention it in the game menu?

If not, you can post on/off pictures to see if it has any telltale signs of any technique.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015