DX12 Ashes of Singularity arrives October 22nd at Steam Early Access

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    So I assume that means the WDDM 2.0 capable driver for older nVidia cards is coming on/before then, right? And they will have all their DX12 ducks in a row, per se? I'm expecting this to not work right at launch in DX12 mode (or either AMD or nVidia for what it is worth).

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well damn, first DX12 title and it's an RTS, pretty much the only game type I dislike (with a few exceptions). Bummer :(

4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Then again, RTS games will likely be one of the naturally CPU bound genres that has the potential to benefit from the overhead reduction in DX12 the most together with MMORPGs, so it does makes sense.

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Hopefully Nvidia will release a WDDM 2.0 compatible driver for Fermi (400/500-series) prior to launch...

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    True, true. And by the end of next year there should be plenty of DX12 games out, of all genres.

7. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Hopefully, but Nvidia's promise was just "Fermi will receive DX12 support later this year (expected around the first wave of DX12 content).".

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3711/~/which-nvidia-gpus-will-support-dx12?

Nvidia might say early access games don't count.

8. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I would not be surprised if nvidia wait until the game is released before they supply a game ready driver.

But as it is an AMD sponsored game AMD should have drivers ready for the early release

I am not interested in this game but I am looking forward to the views of people who like this type of game.

9. Brisse

Brisse Active Member

GPU:
    na
    Several AMD driver updates has already made optimizations and fixes for this game. Pretty sure the current AMD driver is already good to go for the early access release.

One thing that puzzles me about this game is the way they are marketing it. The focus always seem to be on the technology underneath the game, rather than the game itself. It makes you think that maybe they are focusing their efforts on the wrong things, but then again, the developer has several critically acclaimed RTS games in their portfolio such as Galactic Civilization series and Sins of a Solar Empire series.

10. Despoiler

Despoiler Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 Fury
    The hype the technology because without it this game simply could not exist on the level they've made it. The DX11 path, while good, bogs down in high draw call scenarios where DX12 keeps tearing right through. They don't shortcut the experience. Every vehicle has it's own AI, individual turrets have their own AI, and everything that shoots creates it's own lights. They really are pushing the boundaries way past what any game has done before because DX12 lets them do that.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ????

Sins of a Solar Empire was made by Ironclad Games

Galactic Civilization is/was made by (every iteration) stardock

Ashes of Singularity is made by Oxide Games

Only other game Oxide Games has made is Star Swarm, which never really got released? but is a free "demo" on steam...? not sure what exactly is going on there

The only thing the three games you mentioned there have in common are that Stardock was the publisher, but what matters is the developer, not the publisher, so i'd take the thought you had with a grain of salt

12. Godimus

Godimus Guest

GPU:
    everchanging
    game looks like ****.

13. Pixelize

Pixelize Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X
    Agree
    It looks flat, just a terrain and a texture map.

14. Brisse

Brisse Active Member

GPU:
    na
    This is what they keep telling you, but is it just marketing BS or is there actually some truth to it? You know that the game also runs in dx11, don't you?

As far as I understand, Stardock is actually in on the development. Oxide isn't doing this on their own. On the Ashes website, it cites Stardock as "co-developer", and even lists a bunch of developers from Stardock in the credits.

Star Swarm wasn't a game at all and was never intended as such. It was a tech demo and benchmark to show the Nitrous engine and Mantle API. That is also why it's free. It was just about getting attention.

I may have been wrong about Sins. I checked again and it looks like Stardock is only publisher on that one. Haven't played it myself.

15. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    It isn't bull****. Or do you not believe the various DX 12 benchmarks that you can run in DX 11 and DX 12 modes?

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Which games?

17. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
  18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    the really big news is that for every game pre sold they are going to kill a kitten and after release they will kill a puppy
    so to all you guys that love to kill anmals go run buy this pos from these clowns

20. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Fine. You're hopeless.