Recent Nvidia Drivers are the cause of your hitching/stuttering in games.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Sep 14, 2015.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  2. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Reporting back to say the new nvidia drivers are okay..

I figured out the hitching and stuttering with ground zeroes. Apparently its caused because of fullscreen mode.

On borderless its perfect so far. stress tested and its okay. older drivers such as 347.25 fullscreen works. i believe this may work for the phantom pain.

will try witcher 3 soon

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Interesting. How are you playing in fullscreen? Vsync is on in the application?

Checked another machine and the result is the same but current timer is at the maximum value.

4. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Tested with vsync on and off. In application and in nvidia cp. it doesn't make a difference.

In full screen, there is frame hitching/stuttering which happens randomly. But in border less full screen with vsync on in mgs v options. It's perfect.

No frame hitching.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    This has been a known driver issue in the past @ windows8 or even windows7.. Something with fullscreen framebuffer and how the driver grabs its buffer when it starts the game.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  7. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I was testing today the new Barcelona track for Assetto Corsa and man it was stuttery, fortunately setting pre-render frames to 1 fixes most of it, not perfect but playable. I didn´t need to do this months ago when I stopped playing this game.

Also you guys remember the stuttering bug in fear 3?, devs had to work directly with nvidia in order to fix it... it seems to be a long time issue in drivers. :bang:

8. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    It says gsync monitor but i dont have that anymore but ill try to be optimistic and believe its to fix this also. Downloading and will test and report back.

EDIT

Issue still exists. When running mgs v in full screen mode you get very odd frame hitching/stutter. The audio never stutters, just the video.

Apparently, borderless fullscreen resolves this.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well, it actually should. What if you force triple buffering in fullscreen mode as well?

I.e. what I would do is set in game vsync to off, set CP's vsync to always on and TB to on and see if that helps.

Running in a borderless window means that you're running a triple buffered (I think) vsynced to a desktop refresh rate window.

10. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    control panel TB is openGL only still, unless something changed that i've missed.

11. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
  12. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
  13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Don't know how I forgot this, sorry.

There certainly is a way to use TB in DX. There's even a way of forcing it but I'm not sure if that's possible in DX10+.

14. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Tried WRC 5 now that it can work at more than 59Hz, nah, same thing, constant ugly stuttering "Soma style" in full screen. In borderless windows it´s so much better but the bugger still shows randomly. So far no word from nvidia.

15. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    and where is nvidia confirmation about it?

there are lots of reports that people got more stable fps in direct x/d3d games when they turned on triple buffering in nvcp also.

so it's all based on guessing, but no official confirmation.

16. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    not true...

older drivers on same system/OS = older games work without issues.

17. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    Guessing? You can say that, still "triple buffering" is an OpenGL concept.

18. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    You can force it through D3DOverrider in DX11 too, but not in Win10.

Still it's a frame queue management that mimics the "triple buffering" principle, sure, but it's not the original OpenGL "triple buffering".

19. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Yes only in the witcher 3 but 1 frame render slove the problem

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Don't mean anything. Newer drivers may lack some hacks/fixes introduced in the older ones for these games specifically because these hacks doesn't work anymore in Win10 or conflict with some new optimization for actual games. It's still the application issue in this case as this hack was fixing something which was broken in the game, not the driver. Lots of possibilities.

"Triple buffering" means that there are (at least) three frames stored in the frame buffer: the one shown, the one which will be shown after the current one and the one which the app is building right now. This "concept" is perfectly fine in its functioning in DX or OGL or whatever API you may think of. How it's actually called in what API don't matter.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015