Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 - Star Map Video Preview

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Over at Citizencon the first Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 has been shown. Also announced was the fact that Hollywood stars will play part in the single player part, Squadron 42. Videos after the break....

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 - Star Map Video Preview

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Using hollywood voice actors is soooo costly. Mark Hamill is great tho. But really this game seems to never come to be.

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I hope this game eventually gets released and that it doesn't suck. I'm just concerned it's never going to get there, wherever "there" is.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    IMO it's clearly the opposite. Only recently have they managed to hire enough people so that they can get the **** done faster.

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Sure it will come out at some point in time. But will it be what the head honcho wanted it to be I kind of doubt it.

6. Marios145

Marios145 Active Member

Even if the game sucks, modding it might make it better, if modding is possible

7. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    tbf Squadron 42 is pretty much being made by an entirely different team to the people working on the other parts of the game, so even if the live universe is a flop 42 should be pretty awesome.

8. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    So to me it's odd that people are pretending to know how long it takes to develop a game.

Titanfall was in development from 2011, to 2014. Titanfall pretty good game, but not a big game. Certainly not an overly complex game. Backed by EA, Respawn Entertainment has created exactly one game since it's inception in 2010, and that is Titanfall.

So it took them about 4 years from the opening of the studio to completion of the game and this is for a relatively formulaic shooter with jetpacks and mechs.

And while they did create a new studio...It was made primarily of former employees, that had worked closely together on Call of Duty, another shooter. So a new IP, team that had largely worked together before, working on a game with relatively simple mechanics and it takes 4 years.

I wouldn't begrudge RSI 6-8 years of development if they really think they can pull of a game of the scope they're aiming for.

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I don't think anyone questions the timeframe, just the untested business model with essentially no oversight. Kind of unheard of for a game of this scope.

10. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    looks nice so far.... had to update my internet connection. 30GB update to SC =)

10/10 to 100/100

update.. game runs like ****. :bang:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think it's both. Not so much in this thread maybe, but the last one a week or so ago had a bunch of people asking why it's taking them so long.

12. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Literally the first comment in the thread was about the time.

13. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    SC aims to come with everything done and in place. Strictly speaking Elite Dangerous as the obvious counterexample is also still in development and will be for years to come. Yet FD decided to finish it piece by piece and release every piece that's done, rather than the whole thing in one go.

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Honest to god, there isn't a single Star Citizen thread that Ive read that didn't have multitudes of these comments.. "if it ever gets done", or "they will never finish it", or "its taken way too long and they aren't working fast enough and I'm concerned"

First of all, people who have pledged hundreds or thousands of dollars? Let them be concerned. Players who haven't even played the alpha yet or haven't pledged really have nothing to be concerned about.

As someone else mentioned, how long does it take to make a game of this size? According to all these gamedev experts here and online elsewhere, this game should be finished already apparently.. They have all this money right? With that much money, this game should have been finished a long time ago!! What the hell are they doing? That must mean they are going to fail!!!11one... This is the type of nonsensical alarmist speak you can always find on the topic of SC.

Seems to me the best thing to do if you're actually interested in star Citizen and its development is to just play the game itself and read the actual CIG newsletter or watch the CIG youtube channel... Because the rest of the web seems to be completely out of touch with the game and people truly can't help themselves from creating a doomsday scenario out of this game and its development.

I can't recall seeing another game that has caused this much conjecture, overanalyzing and doomspeak. It's unbelieveable.

15. expo

expo Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 / 3.5GB + 0.5GB
    Can't people be excited by watching the trailer ? Isn't that why it's made ?
    And can't they be concerned about the feasibility and not being able to enjoy what is advertised ?
    So only people who have pledged have this right?

Pledging is just another word for pre-ordring and early access. Sure they are putting the money to good use, but isn't that what every early access developer claims.
    People get screwed every day, I think there is nothing wrong with some healthy caution and concern.
    And I too, one that has not pledged, am very excited about this game, and would be disappointed it this project would fail.

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    If you have no monetary investment in the game, why waste any energy on concerning yourself with the outcome is what I'm trying to say.. Obviously people are free to do whatever they like, but its a pretty pointless endeavour.
    When people who have closely followed the development and have pledged money become very concerned, that is when Ill sit up and pay some attention honestly.

Being excited os one thing, being unnecessarily negative and pessimistic about the game is quitr another..as is constantly posting the same sentiment "uhhh I doubt it will ever be done!!! CIG are f r a u d s! (wtf is that word ** out?).. This type of nonsense.

But really, my post was more directed at the pages of posts from people who are so "concerned" about how this game of already doomed even though there is so much of the game that is already completed and is being worked on across the world.

17. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    What does having money invested have to do with being interested in whether it gets made? We aren't allowed to speak otherwise?

18. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    Even with all the money they generated from kickstarter and selling ships to backers which is around 90 million I believe, correct me if im wrong....I dont see how they are going to deliever the amount they promised within that financial cap. the grand scope with this game is a bewildering massive project and for such a task you are looking for 100's and 100's of millions of dollars for a budget. Similiar to GTA5. But if they delver on everything they promised than I will eat my hat !:wanker: A long way anyway from the finsihed product. Hope they make it.

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Now I am interested in the game. I've never pledged anything this one I missed before I could and now I rather would not. I do doubt the guys vision won't be fulfilled, I don't doubt this game coming out sooner or later. And it is hard to be positive when most of the news is rather pessimistic or negative.

20. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    If you don't pledge for this game, and are concerned that the game doesn't get finished, how do you think someone who's pledged 5k feels?

All I'm suggesting is that people who haven't spent any money toward the game shouldn't waste their time worrying about such things.. what difference does it make if you haven't spent any money on it, other than maybe being a bit bummed out? That's all I'm saying.. I'm not saying people should not be allowed to, just, why bother?

In particular I'm referring to the "this game will never get finished" comments that add zero value to any conversation anywhere that I seem to see everywhere. In many cases, these comments are from people who have no investment in the game at all but still take time to spam in any thread on SC that they can find.

This is exactly my point.. instead of allowing the teams to just build the game, and instead of giving any credit to them for building the game in the most transparent development I think we have ever seen (name another game that has provided as much behind the scenes as this one at any time in PC gaming) people would rather tear them down, and users everyone glom onto this, start rumors etc.

Look at the recent allegations that all went down.. nothing more than a person with an axe to grind and use CIG as a target. And yknow what? Even if some or all of the allegations are true, its still clear that many people honestly don't want the project to succeed.. no other reason for all the doomspeak really.