Messed up wages

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Extraordinary, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I can't find a clear answer online anywhere about this:

The gf started a new job last month, got her payslip today, and she's been paid short

She informed the employer, who contacted the payroll company, and they said because the error is under £100, it won't be paid until her next wage

Obviously because of starting a new job, every penny this month is pretty much needed for us to get by

My personal thoughts, I don't think they are allowed to withhold wages, especially when it is their own error, but I can't find anything solid about it

I feel like they are breaking the law by not paying her what she has earned

Anyone know? (We're in the UK)

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Usually they would give you the option to get a separate check cut, but that is after you ask them to. Has she explained the situation to them and requested a check be issued now?

I know in the states it easier on the taxes to not cut a separate check.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Her best bet is to get straight onto her Union (if she's part of one), failing that you might be out of luck. The only way you can force them to pay prior to your next pay date is by taking them to an employment tribunal, which can potentially take months (which defeats the purpose) and is excessive for the sake of £100. Not the best way to start a new job either.

You could try giving the citizens advice a ring to double check your options, I'd be quick though as the sooner you get the process started the better.

5. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    It's a tricky one, how about I help you out....£100 for your 980:nerd:

6. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    This is one of those times that being right doesn't mean anything caught in the unfortunate situation that even if she forces them to pay up could be the end of a job.Here in Canada you can be let go go for just about any reason in the first 90 days.The only reason they couldn't would be discrimination other than that no reason needs to be given.In other words a no win situation.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I saw that thanks, but didn't really make much sense for a mistake in payroll

Yea, they say company policy bla bla, I call BS

She's all "Ah we'll be ok, we'll just wait" so getting her to start anything would be like pulling teeth, but I can see where this is going, and I want to nip it in the bud before next months "Oh sorry, we forgot to add it, wait another month"

They've already p1ssed her about loads from cancelling interviews after she'd already got dolled up and was actually up at the building ready, to cancelling shifts, then calling at 7am to start at 8am, now not paying her...

How about you give me £980 and I`ll give you £100 ?

It's not actually the place of work that's done it, it's the company that owns that place, it's a care home, and she's paid by the main head office place, not the building she works in, and she's good with the managers etc there, but I guess they could go over their heads if they wanted

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  8. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    Petty cash loan till next week?
    Borrow it from one of the bosses?

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not really what I was getting at, we will manage, although we could really do without this sort of thing at this particular time, I just feel as if the company is in the wrong, and if we knew our rights well enough, they would have to pay up this month, not next

Really p1sses me off when companies think they can do what they like to us, and there be no consequences to them

For example, when I signed my phone contract, it was for £28 p/m, but every month I am charged £28.32

32p is nothing, but that was not in the contract, they do that to millions of customers, how much are the making from each 32p...

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I'm a sub contractor and I work mostly out of one place and I get paid within 10 business days from when an invoice is dated.They frequently push it right to the end and a couple of days beyond and there's nothing I can really do about it as you get branded a whiner.Now a couple of months back an invoice was due and I was doing a job in one of the offices in their building and the guy that writes checks went on holidays and never made that one out before he went.I told them either get my check or find someone else to finish the one I was doing they did but the atmosphere was definitely a little cool for a couple of weeks.Sometimes stuff happens I got away with that because I've been with that company for a few years but I can see if I was new that would have been the last job I did for them.

11. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    It's a hundred bucks, think of it like next week you'll have a hundred extra.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

She's not really new there, she worked there for 4 years around 3 years back, left because of management issues, then after the got new management in, she applied for her job back, and it's taken until now to get it, but looks like not much has changed

£100, and it's not next week, it's next month - money isn't really the point of this though, it's principle

-
    Guy in the freezer shop a few weeks ago decided she couldn't have her change (2p) because he had no pennies in the till, he did the same to the next customer too

Came home, made an online complaint, received a £10 voucher - guy doesn't work there any more

People think they are above the law or can treat you like sh1t because they are part of a big company, I can't stand it

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    The longer they hold your money the more interest$ they make...

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sorted, she went back to management and put her foot down, they're giving her it out of petty cash

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Good to hear, I need a good reason to drink a beer tonight :cheers:

16. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I always have a good reason
    :cheers:

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Cheers! :D

Turned out it was the deputy managers fault, she had forgotten to add a full day of training to her hours when it was sent off to payroll (something like that) actual manager sorted the petty cash for her

18. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    After you have fannied about going to Unions, HR and Payroll etc, a month will have pasted and it would be included in her next pay cheque :)

19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Everywhere I've worked has cut a new cheque for the difference.

It is also a new job for her and they said it would be payed out, don't rock the boat over something trivial, some employers might start thinking they have a problem employee.

20. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    Good way to get fired from a new job right there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.