What is all this about needing so much system ram ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Turdhat, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X
    Had not thought about the extra wear and tear from page file usage. Might as well throw 16 gigs in there. Fug it, going to get some now.

I suppose I am still head scratching though. In Bf4, Pcars, Shadow of Mordor and many other games I have no stuttering at all. Dying Light will stutter a bit on 1st load up but only for the 1st 10 seconds off and on. I thought it was just the game engine. After that it is flawless. Still, no need for the SSD to take all the extra wear.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  2. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    16 GB is the sweet point currently. And I can easily upgrade to 32 when the need arises.

3. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    16 gigs of DDR3 is cheaper than dirt right so I see no reason why you should wait to upgrade. You can get 16GB of DDR3 PC 1600 for as low as $70 right now on Newegg.

Have a look: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007611 600006050 600006072

4. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    At the same time, I bet those requirements could change because they also recommend an i3-6300T as the minimum, which is Skylake. Hardly anyone who has either an IvyBridge, Haswell, and even SandyBridge based CPU has bothered to upgrade because on the CPU side game performance increases are little to none. I wouldn't doubt that the game can use more than 8 gig, as I've seen many recent games I've purchased using like 5-6 (or more) gigs of system ram.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've also felt the need to upgrade to 16gb, but i still don't feel like i would gain anything from it when performance is what i should be getting for the hardware i have.

Alot of new games use alot of system ram, but they might not necessarily need to.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I agree, however if I were to make my PC purchases again I would definitely still go for 16 GB.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I suppose, would rather put the money towards something like more storage or a new case though.

2016 will no doubt see us system ram tight arses having issues though.

9. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X
    Hah ! Indeed !