[Application] Color Sustainer - ICC Profile Enforcer

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by yasamoka, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Do you use Color Sustainer in Global mode or in Mode-specific mode (v1.03.1+) ?

1. Global mode

34 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. Mode-specific mode

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. A mix of the two

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Vercinaigh

Vercinaigh Guest

GPU:
    290x Crossfire
    I am only certain that it runs the same resolution(Does not tell me refresh rate in game), however I have every refresh rate and resolution setup with a profile. It works when i first launch the game, but any alt-tab or closing the game results in default color profile AKA non ICC profile until Color Sustainer is completely relaunched, simply stopping and starting does not correct it.

I had the polling set to 500, and default 1000. though it may be a case of the program is failing to to do anything in general after this game minimizes or closes.

It's only happening on my Dell E348WFP, my secondary is unaffected. I currently have a GTX560 running until my new cards arrive Monday to replace my now dead GTX690 (RIP). Otherwise my profile system is the system in question.

2. Vercinaigh

Vercinaigh Guest

GPU:
    290x Crossfire
    290x's installed, same behavior. And as a correction my secondary also loses it's ICC.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  3. Vercinaigh

Vercinaigh Guest

GPU:
    290x Crossfire
    Yeah this program flat doesn't work. Anytime resolution gets changed this gets shut off until closed and relaunched. And it sounds like nothing can be done, so moving on..

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You're the first person to have this issue and you still didn't provide me with the information I requested before.

I've been sick with a fever for the past while, so I'll be replying soon.

5. Vercinaigh

Vercinaigh Guest

GPU:
    290x Crossfire
    Fair enough, just surprised you are the only one to say anything o_O figured at least someone would chime in. And what info is that? I do believe I said hardware I am using..

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Let's test things one by one.

Is Color Sustainer working in other games? What about on the desktop? Grab ArgyllCMS and run dispcalGUI with the "-c" argument, does the profile reset then get applied by Color Sustainer?

When starting and stopping Color Sustainer, are the profiles being applied and reset correctly?

7. Vercinaigh

Vercinaigh Guest

GPU:
    290x Crossfire
    It does work sometimes. Like for example i play Smite, UE3 based game. If i load it sometimes it loses ICC, it won't come back until I alt tab, then all is fine from then on. But with Ark I outright have to close the application, NOTHING else will fix it until i close it, open it, and then hit start. Closing and opening MSI afterburner forces me to do the same thing. As for Argyll yes it does.

8. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Hi great program - when it works!

It works on my triple Dell 24" monitor setup (with 7990 AMD) - but ONLY if I have all three monitors enabled in CCC ("triple monitor" Extended preset).

If I have just the centre monitor enabled (for when I don't want three on and just want middle one), then this program is NOT detecting the monitor and no profile loads (you can't even go through the steps of associating one). The "detect" button does nothing. List remains blank. Even though my middle monitor is on, just as it was when it detected it in triple mode!?!!

It just goes back to the original Windows profile (which I had set to extreme red as a test beforehand using Windows "color management->calibrate display") when I use CCC to change from my "triple monitor" preset to "single" monitor preset.

The two side monitors are DVI and the middle one is Displayport if that makes any difference.

I thought that was the point of the program - to be able to change from single middle monitor to triple Extended mode and back and keep my three calibrated ICC profiles loaded onto correct monitors!!??

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What about other games? Got any other AAA games you can try? Preferably something a bit older so I can test here. Got GTA V, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, etc...?

Just a small question, do you have the Intel iGPU enabled? And are you using it in some way (got a monitor connected to it).

Can you please send me the log found in the Color Sustainer folder to (my username) at hotmail dot com? Thanks.

Easy with the punctuation.

I have three monitors and the program does what I wrote it to do - apply profiles as I enable and disable the monitors.

However, since you have identical monitors, it's one of two things: either you have Eyefinity enabled or the monitors reported by the driver are messing up in some way. Sometimes AMD cards have this tendency (Nvidia might be even worse at managing monitors as they're enabled and disabled).

When I had three monitors attached:

1) When main monitor is enabled, it gets the profile applied
    2) When the second monitor is enabled, it does not get the profile applied - only the main monitor does
    3) When the third monitor is enabled, all three monitors get their profiles applied

This is because when two monitors are enabled, Windows / AMD driver incorrectly reports the available monitors.

I'm afraid certain limitations to do with how Microsoft, Nvidia, and AMD manage their monitors are sometimes beyond what I am able to achieve with the program. But, nevertheless, I can check what's going on to see if there is a solution.

Please delete the existing log and tree from the Color Sustainer folder and delete the monitors, then do the following:

- Enable the three monitors then start up Color Sustainer, and click on Detect to detect the monitors. Send me the log and tree.

-Delete the log and tree, and then do the same with the main monitor enabled only.

Also, it's recommended to remove all Windows profiles as they may interefering with Color Sustainer's work.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  10. Vercinaigh

Vercinaigh Guest

GPU:
    290x Crossfire
    No, I don't really play things like that really. i might have bioshock but if I do i've never actually played it. as for e-mail I'll send it out tonight

11. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    How can i send you text files with this forum - doesn't allow attachments??

Anyway the single and triple logs are identical apart from times:

Single:
    [2015-09-02.18:54:19]Color Sustainer v1.05 launched.

[2015-09-02.18:54:19]No existing Tree found.

[2015-09-02.18:54:20]Found existing Settings file.
    version = 1.05
    defCPAssocMode = 1
    loadLinearCurveByDefault = 1
    loadLinearCurveOnExit = 1
    lockLoadedProfiles = 1
    pollingPeriod = 1000
    LUTBitDepth = 0
    enableTrayIcon = 1
    checkForUpdates = 1
    updateAvailable = 0
    runOnStartup = 1
    Successfully loaded all settings.

[2015-09-02.18:54:33]Detect Monitors button pressed.
    Detecting new monitors, resolutions, and modes...
    [2015-09-02.18:54:33]Saving Tree...
    Successfully saved Tree.

Triple:
    [2015-09-02.18:56:43]Color Sustainer v1.05 launched.

[2015-09-02.18:56:43]No existing Tree found.

[2015-09-02.18:56:43]Found existing Settings file.
    version = 1.05
    defCPAssocMode = 1
    loadLinearCurveByDefault = 1
    loadLinearCurveOnExit = 1
    lockLoadedProfiles = 1
    pollingPeriod = 1000
    LUTBitDepth = 0
    enableTrayIcon = 1
    checkForUpdates = 1
    updateAvailable = 0
    runOnStartup = 1
    Successfully loaded all settings.

[2015-09-02.18:57:07]Detect Monitors button pressed.
    Detecting new monitors, resolutions, and modes...
    [2015-09-02.18:57:07]Saving Tree...
    Successfully saved Tree.

The tree file for single after I attempt to detect monitors remains empty:

<v1.04>

With triple monitors on it detects them (I deleted all the <resolution> xml tags to save space here):

<v1.04>
    <Monitor>
    MONITOR\DELA02B\{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0021
    \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0021
    Dell 2408WFP(Digital)
    AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

<Resolution>
    1920 1200
    <Mode>

</Mode>
    </Resolution>
    </Monitor>
    <Monitor>
    MONITOR\DELA017\{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0024
    \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0024
    Dell 2407WFP (Digital)

<Resolution>
    1920 1200
    <Mode>

</Mode>
    </Resolution>
    </Monitor>
    <Monitor>
    MONITOR\DELA017\{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0005
    \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0005
    Dell 2407WFP (Digital)

<Resolution>
    1920 1200
    <Mode>

</Mode>
    </Resolution>
    </Monitor>

Could it be anything to do with this weird behaviour as seen in the Windows color management interface - it appears correct in triple mode, but in single mode it displays loads of monitors with 1/2/3 or 6/7 etc. on them all. What's that about?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Good news, I ran into the issue you have mentioned while trying Ethan Carter. Once I'm back on the desktop the profile stays off even beyond the polling period, so I have to restart Color Sustainer for things to work again.

I've been overwhelmed with the start of the semester so I'll work on getting a fix out this week hopefully.

@geogan, I'll take a look into your issue.

13. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    I have that issue with 1 game too, Aion.
    Whenever it starts profile doesnt work until I stop and start colorsustainer, but annoying to do that every time I start game.
    Hope for fix soonish!

14. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    OK thanks. Don't know what you can do about it really. The logs don't tell a lot. Just in single mode, it picks nothing up and the Color Management Windows program behaves very strangely displaying all sorts of non-existant monitors when AMD drivers in use and Eyefinity is turned off (and eyefinity presets exist). I'm nearly 100% sure its buggy AMD drivers - it always is.

15. Vercinaigh

Vercinaigh Guest

GPU:
    290x Crossfire
    Awesome glad to hear it, may I suggest a option that just reapplies the profile every x period of time? That is what the Spyder Utility does AFAIK, might be a sloppy work around but hey?

16. noGuruATall

noGuruATall Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580 3GB
    What I done wrong?

[​IMG]

17. Vercinaigh

Vercinaigh Guest

GPU:
    290x Crossfire
    Any word there Yasa?

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I wish. Very rough and busy start of the semester. I hope I can take a look these couple of days. I'll need to find my latest source code on my laptop.

19. Vercinaigh

Vercinaigh Guest

GPU:
    290x Crossfire
    No problem

20. Vercinaigh

Vercinaigh Guest

GPU:
    290x Crossfire
    Just checking back in, still overwhelmed I assume? :(