Recent Nvidia Drivers are the cause of your hitching/stuttering in games.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Sep 14, 2015.

1. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    In SLI mode you will get crashing or stuttering with too low a page file in Windows 10 64-bit, this has been proven and even acknowledged by NVIDIA.
    Especially at 4K in games like Shadow of Mordor, GTA V, Lords of the Fallen etc. does this become very important.

Windows 10 uses much more virtual memory than Windows 7/8, that is a known fact :)

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I did a clean Windows 10 install, since there where some annoying bugs when upgrading from 8.1, didn't apply any magic tweaks and installed all the newest drivers for my hardware, all my games run without issues.
    Seeing that your doing a clean install too, I hope that it solves the game issues for you.
    You might also want to force Windows Update Device Driver Search to be disabled when you start to install drivers for your hardware.

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Virtual Memory is a pool that makes use of addresses in both physical memory as a file on disk.
    As long as you don't exceed the physical limitations it doesn't mean anything how large or small your paging file is, since the memory manager is fully capable to move pages in RAM only, and also will do so to give you the best performance.

I would like to see the official statement where NVidia acknowledges in which situations it is an issue, cause I'm most certain of that it only applies when you hit the limit of the complete virtual memory pool, regardless if that includes a paging file or not.
    The paging file is nothing but a security and extension feature for memory management.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  4. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Well, in SLI this behaves completely different :)
    The 355.80 driver fixed crashing due to excessive virtual memory usage in for example BF3 and BF4 in SLI mode in Windows 10 64-bit.

But you still need to set a high page file (16-24 GB) to completely avoid running out of virtual memory in SLI in some of the more memory hogging games and applications.
    Of course the more system RAM you have the less important the high page file size becomes.

5. i agree. i always loved nvidia and hated ati because of their drivers. ati had horrible crap drivers always that only made more problems. nvidia always had amazing superb drivers that ran flawless with everything !

i recommended nvidia to all my friends for the past decade but after what i have seen within the last year i'm not recommending nvidia anymore.. as i'm neither recommending ati/amd (because i still hate ati/amd gpus..) i'm just telling my friends to not upgrade their pcs at all because its not worth it right now and a massive waste of money.

i myself am also not upgrading my pc even though a new gpu would be very welcome because my gtx 670 is getting REALLY old. but i don't see the point in spending 350€+ for a gpu that runs horrible because of bad drivers.

i really hope nvidia will be able to fix the **** they cooked up within the last year but i'm starting to get doubts about that :( not seeing any real progress here -.- well if not i'll be forced to turn to consoles or stop gaming afterall because i will never pay 300,400€ or even more for such a low quality bull**** that ati/amd always was and nvidia right now unfortunately is becoming :(

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Hmm.. that is coding issue in Windows 10 or the driver then, hopefully they get that bug nailed down and fixed soon.

7. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    It is a known Windows 10 memory management "issue", which should be fixed in the next official OS build :)

8. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I never install nvidia audio and it is disabled, however I wonder if it´s possible to avoid windows installing basic driver for it in the first place.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  9. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    OK, I did a fresh install of Windows 10 today using all the latest drivers on station drivers for my board. I'm using the latest WHQL 355.98 and everything is suddenly smooth as you like. I've never had 10 working like this.

GTA V
    FIFA 16
    RAGE
    Hitman Absolution
    Various Indie Games
    Assassins Creed IV
    BF3
    BF4
    Ryse

All are working smoothly, with vsync off, low input lag and very minimal tearing.
    To say I'm happy is an under statement.

How can I make sure I keep performance like this or prevent any driver updates to Windows 10 ruining this awesome experience. Any help much appreciated :)

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I often connect my computer to my TV. The sound will be disabled if the nVidia Audio Driver is uninstalled, won't it?

11. BNSoul

BNSoul Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 660 Ti OC 3GB
    ok unistalled Nvidia HD Audio device, restarted Windows and it installed a generic driver for it so I disabled the device completely, guess I have nothing to lose.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  12. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    I've done all that plus many more. Its the driver.

Nothing can be done unless you downgrade back to 347.25 and wait on nvidia to fix this.

Also its not windows 10. I've installed 7, 8.1 and 10. It produces the same issue.

13. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    so you can't use win10 because only an ancient driver is good for your rig?

14. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Windows 10 works flawlessly. Even with all the telemetry key logging spyware on.

I have no issues with Windows aside from the Windows update. Just disappointed most of us has to use a very old driver to play games properly.

But then again this has happened many times before with nvidia drivers.. New drivers crashing and bad performance yet the much older one it runs perfect.

The only times Intel have done things like this is with the Intel lan drivers with the dpc latency spikes and the mei driver 1144

15. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000

I meant about 347.25. Does it work on win10? or are you on win8 just so you can use this driver?

16. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    347.25 works with Windows 10

17. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    thx, yeah, I justed tested it, as I ran into an issue with DSR in crysis 2, posted in the 355.98 thread, but it's the same with 347.25 as well. low gpu usage in certain spots when using DSR, fine at native res.

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Did you try the ME 1144? TJ said that specifically fixed it for him.

19. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    yep, no change, it's a DSR or win10 issue, as gpu usage is 99% on uncapped fps native res, but when using DSR it's not. kinda sucks, since i'm seeing sub 50% gpu usage on native res with vsync, so DSR 2x would be sweet.

20. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Interesting....