Recent Nvidia Drivers are the cause of your hitching/stuttering in games.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Sep 14, 2015.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    it strange though.

according to aida64

when I increase pagefile size, virtual memory size goes up and gets used, but then it shows pagefile not getting used.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  2. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    That's because you flashed the wrong version. Period.

It's not because one shouldn't flash their firmware.

You have to update to YOUR MEI version. As in if you're on X99, you're on 9.1. You cannot go higher, like using MEI 10 or 11. It doesn't work like that. If you're on 9.1 you have to flash versions of 9.1 ONLY, anything lower or higher will brick your system.

I know MEI firmware flashing well. If you want me to help you fix that board let me know.

This is bad advice. Please no one listen to this. An 8gb page file is the most one would ever need. I have a minimum of 16gb in all my systems, some with 32gb and 8gb is used for all of them without issue. I've never seen it go over 2.5gb.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Committed goes on the memory pool, not specific on the paging file.
    GTA V runs without issues when I disable the paging file...
    Do you have any 3rth party caching or some memory hungry application running in the background? (seeing you have 32GB RAM)

4. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I´ve never disabled pagefile and all the workarounds to help with this stuttering of late point to gpu drivers, a few examples: having to disable mip maps in farcry 4, deleting apex.dll or forcing cpu physx in the witcher 3, running flash video in the background with Mortal Kombat X, rolling back drivers fixing stuttering in some games (f1 2015 is unplayable for me with 355.98, 353.49 is just fine), then new drivers fixing stuttering in some games like gtav and motogp15 (although after months the games have been out).

And there are also developer comments relating stuttering to nvidia drivers, Arkham knight guys said they identified stuttering in systems with nvidia gpus and 8gb of ram or the Soma devs, who said they were waiting for nvidia to change something in their drivers.

5. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Well, for amd cpu users(if there any left). Turn off HPET and don't install amd chipset driver or anything. Simply install nvidia driver clean. No stutter ages ago here. No matter what nvidia driver i install, just smooth as butter.

6. samusprime89

samusprime89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Its no good for me in fact 347.25 made every game i tried stutter so bad it made me nauseous. im on windows 10 64-bit all latest chipset and mobo drivers. sigh* guess ill go back to the latest drivers again.

7. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
  8. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Im back..

After countless hours and optimizations. I can safely confirm that the new nvidia drivers are truly blown. I've disabled nearly early service, secure erased and formated over 100 times and tested numerous drivers and tweaks, ive managed to lower my dpc to very low levels.

I've removed overclocks, raised overclocks, borrowed various gpu's to test and all the same end result.

2 out of 5 times the game will frame hitch. There are instances where it will play smoothly, restart the game and play again it will hitch. every setting in the nvidia cp modified, system with no drivers, only intel drivers, high dpc, low dpc. All microsoft spyware removed on one build, all spyware intact...

Truly a set of terrible drivers. I highly recommend sticking around with 347.25 until nvidia starts making quality drivers again. I've talked to experts at overclock.net and other forums. No solution.. its all directed at the drivers from nvidia.

Hope this helps. My testing for now is over until nvidia releases new drivers again.

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I blame the OS...

and to make it worse.

all the problems we have and had could be back in the next windows 10 build in november.

10. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    With F1 2015 I don´t even have to restart the game, restarting a race is enough to make it hitch horribly... doesn´t happen with 353.49. Let´s hope they´re working on it but so far no word from them. (And I´m on windows 7, so it´s not windows 10 problems)

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    well in process of finishing a clean install of windows 10....

no intel chipset drivers installed yet.

I let windows update some of the devices..

going to see how this goes.

12. i agree !! every driver since the gta5 driver (350.12) had this issue. it can be reproduced and monitored in gpuz.. the driver seems to loose "connection" for a milisecond from time to time and exactly in this moment the stutter comes for a second. in gpuz it looks like breaks between load and memory load and some other stuff.. its like the drivers crash for a milisecond or something like that.

i tried out every driver and everyone had this issue, though some had it worse then others.

i gave up hoping for a fix but seeing this immensly big topic now i regained a slice of hope :D maybe it will actually be fixed in the future lol..

edit: btw i'm at win7x64

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Very valuable input. I hope ManuelG monitors this thread.

I'll keep raising the app priority in the games where it's needed for the time being.

14. Deedge

Deedge Guest

GPU:
    680m SLI
    ..i just want to say that when i was testing windows 10. Some of them early drivers were giving me great fps. When windows 10 was finally released i was well looking forward to it. It finally arrived, when i installed there first new driver that was WHQL .... i sure saw a frame drop. It was so bad that driver that i reverted to windows 8.1 .... im not sure why they do this..

15. yeah i agree again. and its not only win10. i noticed (and already stated in some other topics on this forum) that their driver quality decreased massivly since they started doing real win10 drivers (which started at around a few weeks later then the gta5 driver).

and the biggest problem.. not only on win10 but for all operating systems the driver quality decreased massivly.. i'm as written on win7 -.-

16. BNSoul

BNSoul Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 660 Ti OC 3GB
    since 347.25 - 347.88, drivers' quality has gone downhill, don't know what's going on at Nvidia but they're really hopeless, they used to release really brilliant drivers until 9XX cards and Windows 10 came to the table.

17. Ulenn

Ulenn Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4 gb
    If i have to think/speculate on this problem ,two ideas coming to my mind.

1) too many hacks (in other words ''FIXs'') in the code to make certain game to looks/performs better it can make the code a bit messy creating others inexpected problems.

2) may be the time to split the drivers for diferent/new generation cards to make the coding easy and more eficient.

Cheers and keep up with this ,we may force nvidia to look up for a ''FIX''

18. Chris1992

Chris1992 Guest

GPU:
    Palit Geforce GTX 980
    Fixing the issues

I have a fix for you guys. Go into your Control Panel-Device Manager and under Sound just uninstall the Nvidia HD Audio driver. Just make sure before you restart your system to go into My Computer, right click, Properties on the left advanced system settings, hardware, device installation settings and just disable this feature. Enjoy a buttery-smooth experience once again! :):) The Problem really is that that nasty nvidia audio driver is messing with the one from Realtek and causing stuttering.

19. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    in spirit of this discussion, can someone tell me which is the best driver for my GPU, gtx 650? btw, i'm using windows 7 ultimate, 64bit.

i'm having problems with latest nvidia drivers, they cause bad company 2 huge lag during online gaming. so i'm in pursuit of best drivers for my graphic card.

i'm listening all suggestions :)

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Not sure if my post is included, but didn't post anything odd or wrong, just told that the committed memory doesn't necessary mean that it pages to disk, hell, Windows will avoid to do that at all costs if possible, you do know that pages can be moved in physical memory right?
    And again, explain to me why all games that don't specifically check if there is a paging file on my disk can run for endless hours without me having any?
    (I usually have a static 4GB file just in case of crash dump logging and when I feel to play some of these odds games that check that there is one, even though I have never seen them use it)
    If people have read up on how the memory manager works, specifically about it's metrics, they already know the answer.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015