AMD negotiations with private-equity firm Silver Lake Stall

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. partyface86

partyface86 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 @ 1200/1500
    Things just keeps getting better and better. It`s not far for Intel to become a monopoly.

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I don't recall reading the former article about Silver Lake. Usually, this kind of reference includes a link...?...;) Here it is:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eld-stalled-investment-talks-with-silver-lake

Analysts are often wrong, and nothing can be worse or more inaccurate than some kind of bogus "consensus of analysts." Also, "market value" concerns share price exclusively, which fluctuates. The real value of AMD is far more than $1.3b. Even in a bad year they'll gross $5B in sales, and their cpu/gpu IP is worth far more.

The stock market is often driven by rumor and gossip, and many times companies start rumors about each other that are completely false just to try and hurt their competitors--this behavior can be traced back to the founding of the stock markets...;) It's particularly interesting to see this kind of gossip on the eve of Zen production--and so telling that the gossip doesn't mention Zen at all (even though AMD is not shy about talking about it publicly as it has been doing so for months, now.) As I recall, this is exactly the kind of thing Intel did prior to and during the introduction of Athlon...but now AMD has a written agreement with Intel, so it could also be something rumored by nVidia, as well. So it remains to be seen what the fate of AMD will be.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  4. tron9598

tron9598 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 750 ti 2gb
    A lot of people are looking for AMD to fail. I don't think so, even in this market where PC's aren't selling as fast as they once were 5 years ago. They are going through a rough patch, but most companies do and yes they do sometimes fail, but AMD just came out with new products and I believe Carrizo isn't far behind.

5. BColt

BColt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 280x
    Hm 1,3 bil worth was that?
    Less than Minecraft

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Actually if the review I read earlier is true, Carrizo is like really, really good. It ties 15w Intel i3 Broadwell parts in performance and it's on 28nm vs Intel's 14nm. Looks like Fox was right about it.

7. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    You're right. I have some of these on display at work and they're pretty good. Once AMD hits 14nm it'll be kicking and screaming. I have an A10 on display that matches Haswell i5 performance in x86 and beats it in graphics no problem. Skylake though got an almost two times increase in GPU performance.. pity the x86 side of things got sweet **** all of a boost.. but then there aren't many that need faster than i7-5500 performance from a laptop anyway. Intel just has an "unfair" advantage being on a considerably smaller process. Until AMD hits 14nm I generally recommend Intel processors as I can usually find something for the customer that's better than what AMD has at the same price.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  8. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Did you look at the date on the article? It's ancient and has proven wrong with time.

In any case, AMD or the parts that were ATI are worthless at this point split apart. AMD has no major CPU's or profits to speak of, and "ATI" would have almost no market share and products that cost more to make and perform less than the competition.

What good would it do if they split at this point? They are both barely worth some of their patents and their Mkt Cap reflects this. Not blasting AMD, just calling it as I see it.

10. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Dell went private and that was the smart decision.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not entirely. intel does 20~25% better on CPU side, AMD 35~50% on GPU side.
    But I still consider 15W mode on FX-8800p perversion. It has to allow 35W (If user wants it. at least 25W). When I saw 35W benches from test platform, they did impress me.

When I looked for alternative, since OEMs did break FX cpu. I found 13,3'' intel i5-5257u (iris) 28W. It is again ~20% stronger on CPU side than even 35W FX-8800p, but loses those 40~50% on GPU.

And to tell truth i5-5257u CPU part is strong enough to deliver desktop like i3 performance (since it is i3). And at that point GPU is more important to me, because CPU is already overkill for 13,3''.

To topic: I hate those people who make all this FUD. Because while it temporarily raise AMD stock value... After effect of despair/disappointment pushes it even lower than it was before. This kind of fake news brings down stock value more effectively than AMD releasing quarterly 'damage report'.