Asus ROG Swift PG279Q Pricing and Specs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    PG279Q. Nice. But with IPS having more blur in games I think I will have to think about this. Also I have had to go through 6 Swifts just to get a decent screen. I can easily put up with TN as I sit in front of it.

Will wait a year then this monitor will be better too by then.

3. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Last line was epic ! Yes, the price is to much for a monitor ! I think some of us will go for the TN models now seeing this price . I know that for quality you have to pay ... but this is to much !

4. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    This one aint got nothing on my XB270HU. No monitor does yet :)

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'd say 165Hz is cool but I wonder if one would spot the difference between 144Hz and 165Hz. Design could also be a small advantage and also the HDMI option (if for example I'd want to temporarily connect a laptop that lacks DP).

Otherwise there isn't anything else really :)

6. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    with that resolution and with current hardware performance , I still how can I get 165 FPS !

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If you look at TFT's Central review of the XB270HU vs the PG278Q, the IPS panel on the XB actually has less blur than the PG. Mostly because the PG's blur has striping in it. Like technically the TN has less blur, but the blur is more noticeable.

This PG279Q has the same panel as the XB just overclocked. Hopefully it ditches the more aggressive AG coating too, I felt like it was too much on the PG278.

8. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    I don't understand, why would a 700 series card only be able to run this monitor at 120Hz? Why not 144Hz? Why is a 960 or higher a must?
    I mean, I've seen people run 144Hz monitors on 600 series cards.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Is it 120Hz or G-Sync 120hz? Maxwell V2 cards have additional hardware support for G-Sync over Kepler. The polling and stuff was all removed. It may be limited to 120 in G-Sync only and uncapped in regular mode.

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    So the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q has 165Hz, is IPS and supports g-sync? Hmmm, this sounds too good to be true. :O

11. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    So what, 600 and 700 series cards are hard capped at 120hz period with G-Sync?

12. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

Thats the real jewel here. The only true "no compromise" monitor that uses up all the available cable. Thank Satan it has an exact competitor from Acer.

People think 8k 30hz or 1080p 240hz is something other than a tech demo item.
    There is no thought given when they make a monitor that spikes one of the specs or something. The real clairvoyant view is to have all the good features then get a triple digit refresh rate while having the highest resolution a single cable can handle.

Basically this and the acer x34 is IT - the culmination - for displayport 1.2

13. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    I'm using 780 @ 1080p 144hz G-Sync.
    but I've also seen review for 780 Ti @ 1440p 144hz G-Sync (PG278Q).
    never heard about 700 series only supporting up to 120Hz (G-Sync or not), except in this news item.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't know, but I guess I'm asking if the monitor is only capped at 120hz in those cards with G-Sync is enabled? If so it's probably due to the new hardware support on Maxwell.

15. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Yeah neither have I, seems fishy.
    A shame really, if nothing else I was kind of looking forward to the better build quality of the Asus over Acer.

16. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I just got a RMA replacement ROG Swift PG278Q. My old one showed display corruption after little over a year. Asus must have refined the model a lot. The old one ran very hot, which might be what led to it's failure. The new one is much much cooler.

No 3D support on the new models is disappointing. Once I've recovered from the cost of my new rig, I might go for two more PG278Q for surround. The 35" is interesting too, but 100Hz is low.

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    That is why I won't get one of these.