Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    10 should activate without any key entered during install or on boot, so long as the preview 7 or 8.1 OS was activated and you let 10 activate after an 'Upgrade' first

Then you can clean install 10

And yea, your previous license is consumed in the process

Replacing major hardware will require either a new license or possibly if lucky, phone activation

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yep, that's what I assumed and I'm fairly certain it worked on my desktop when I reinstalled after the first set of technical previews. But it's not re-activating on my laptop. I've never formatted my laptop until this weekend, simply went bought 8 at launch, upgraded to 8.1, then upgraded to 10 when it launched. Used 10 however long it's been out, was activated fine -- formatted on Friday, installed Mint, played around, tried reinstalling 10 again yesterday, no dice.. won't activate. Tried updating and playing around all day to get it to activate, last night I tried going back to 8 won't activate on the original key either.

Guess I have to call support. I kinda wish they'd just spit a key back to you during the 10 install for reinstall purposes.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Give it a couple days, a lot of people were having similar problems, activation servers playing up, eventually it activates

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Hmm I guess I could try it, I reinstalled Mint at like 11 last night because I had the ISO handy and wanted it working. But yeah I'll reinstall 10 today and let it sit for a few days.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Make sure it's the correct version of 10 though,

8.1 Pro = 10 Pro
    8.1 Core = 10 Home

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    think I found another way to stop cortana from using the network.

In firewall setting change Search in out/in going block connection. far as i can tell it stoped app histroy from show network usage on cortana will reports back if it starts using network again.

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I just found out my Sat provider shutdown activation for their HD streaming from dvr app.

which means if I wanted to do a clean install of windows 10. I wont be able to use the App anymore.

others have suggested using slingbox. it just isnt the same HD.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    You could find all the registry keys for that program and make backups of them all and make backups of the files that make up the program itself then in the future when you re-install windows again you can restore everything back and it should be activated again?

9. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti@2.0Ghz
    Ok but I don't want to reinstall everything.

So yesterday I tried to uninstall RTSS, clean the registry with CrapCleaner, then install RTSS.
    It's a little bit better: now the frame limiter works for iRacing but not for other games (DX11 games...)

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Make sure you're using the newest version of RTSS*. Also IIRC the frame limiter doesn't work properly yet in Win 10, but I could be wrong.

* edit: saw your thread in the RivaTuner section, 6.3.0 is the newest version atm.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015

11. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti@2.0Ghz
    Ok, so let's wait for a 6.3.1 version :)

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    RTSS works perfectly for me on Windows 10.

13. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti@2.0Ghz
    What's your secret? :)

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No secret, it works fine for me with Win 10 too

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    RTSS works fine on my end to make sure you not setting your games to compatibility mode, RTSS need that off to work correctly

16. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti@2.0Ghz
    Ok guys, I've uninstalled everything (MSI Afterburner + RTSS) and installed again and now it works for all games but one! R3E!
    I don't know why the frame limiter doesn't work for this game?
    I've checked the exe file for compatibility issue (RRRE.exe) but there is no compatibility tab displayed for this file!

17. kretex

kretex Member

GPU:
    RX 500 Series 2Gb
    Updates are available.
    • Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3093266).

18. logout20

logout20 Guest

GPU:
    Amd radeon 7470m/1Gb
    is there any way i can manually select updates to download,there is an update for windows defender and i use malwarebite so that update is useless to me,also it is forcing driver installation over my laptop drivers.so how to avoid downloading and installing those perticular update.

i am conneted to internet...and the taskbar icon showing "not connected no connection available".

in win7,8.1 i click on network icon in task bar and dial the connection from there,in win 10 it's network icon > click on connection name > inside nework settings > dial up >click on connection name > connect.i tried making shortcuts and what not with my limited knowledge.is there any workaround to this because i face disconnection frequently........

19. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    dialup on windows 10.....:puke2:

I read from other people that there was changes made to the dialup service.

that there is some features for some reason was removed...

dont know why..

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Probably by the same chucklehead who removed the desktop calculator app. Seriously, what was the point of that?