AMD Catalyst 15.9 Beta

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Rich_Guy, Sep 28, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB

2. Wolfehunter

Wolfehunter Guest

I'm gettings these results from 3dmark in windows 10 Home 64bit. 1920x1080

DirectX 11 Single thread - 983 148
    DirectX 11 Multi thread - 942 099
    Mantle - 13 898 193
    DirectX 12 - 15 126 392

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
  3. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    Yeah its whatever the driver tells it. I would guess they do it that way for speed and perhaps also to avoid enabling partially-implemented features.

This new 15.9b installed fine for me, ran unigine valley and it seemed to do a little better but nothing dramatic. EDIT: after a couple of re-runs the results are in-line with the 15.8b.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  4. Tmfwow

Tmfwow Member

GPU:
    XFX r9 290 DD
    STILL can't stretch/scale fullscreen games like CS:GO running lower than native resolution in win10. Once again this issue is not present in the 15.6 beta drivers but has been present in every driver since win10 was released. PLEASE FIX!

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Contact AMD.

6. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    Thanks Rich Dude!:)

7. Tmfwow

Tmfwow Member

GPU:
    XFX r9 290 DD
    I've tried, just posting here for visibility.

8. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Thanks for the drivers.

Here's an API Overhead Comparison. Negligible performance on that front. I'll test if other issues are resolved. Glad we're back to getting a driver every month. Hopefully the updates stay consistent.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/aot/77145/aot/74444

9. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    15.9 Beta, look like Maximum FPS is going down but Minimum FPS went up a lot which is great.
    Sniper Elite 3 Benchmark Report (Mantle)
    ================================================================
    Created: 2015-09-29 at 03:00:48
    Version 1.14 Build Version: 2014.10.29.004
    ================================================================

Average FPS: 74.8
    Minimum FPS: 49.7
    Maximum FPS: 161.3

Number Of Frames: 5691
    Average Frame: 13.369ms
    Minimum Frame: 6.201ms
    Maximum Frame: 20.134ms

Machine Name: AMDFREESYNC
    Monitors: 1
    Operating System: Windows 8 Professional (build 9200), 64-bit
    System RAM: 8117MB
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Number of Cores: 4

GPU Name: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
    Feature Level: Mantle
    Dedicated VRAM: 8192MB

Resolution Width: 2560
    Resolution Height: 1080
    Texture Detail: ULTRA
    Shadows Detail: ULTRA
    Draw Distance: ULTRA
    Anti-aliasing: OFF
    Supersampling: OFF
    Anisotropic Level: 1
    Obscurance Fields: ON
    Tessellation: ON
    Ambient Occlusion: ON
    Motion Blur: ON
    Vertical Sync: ON
    Reduce Mouse Lag: OFF
    Stereo 3D: OFF

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

This driver doesn't seem to like certain video functions. For me, MPDN+additional shaders does NOT work with this driver when in full-screen mode. Also, Firefox on certain websites eventually will come up as display driver not responding and then has recovered, but you have to close and reopen it. Just had a BSOD, so went back to the x.x.1301 driver (the one.

I've submitted a bug report, but I suggest if anyone else has these or other issues to report it via the AMD reporting page:
    http://www.amd.com/report

Note that I'm on Insider Preview 10547, so Windows 10 RTM might be different.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Well, after messing around some more, learning French, then speaking it profusely, seems a combination of a Windows 10547 bug and the Catalyst driver caused a couple of other issues. I've sorted it out now... however back on 1301. Hopefully the next driver and Windows build will be more friendly.

Seems to be related to this:
    A black screen may be encountered on bootup on Windows 10 systems. The system will ultimately continue to the Windows login screen.

although it never progressed to the login screen. I found out in the end if I mash the keyboard the screen would come up, then I would ctrl+alt+delete even without the prompt to enter the password to get into Windows. HOWEVER, I already had set it up to log in automatically anyway. I ran SFC, all passed, so I just reset up the autologin.

Geez it's almost as if Windows builds have been getting worse... or at least no better. So close to TH2 release and there's still bugs galore. When it works, it works, when it doesn't, it becomes tiring very quickly. Same with Windows phone 10. What, 2 weeks out from supposed release and it's very slow, clunky, unstable, browsers constantly crash etc., resuming, resuming, resuming... lag... all known issues regardless of the phone you use.

Anyways, the driver is probably fine. I guess if a normal person came across that BS they would have to take it to a computer store or something. I just don't see Microsoft getting their act together in producing a stable Windows TH2 or phone before the release date. I don't expect it to be rock solid stable being an insider preview, but this close to release we should be running true release candidates, not noticeably buggy beta builds still.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
  12. temo

temo Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I had similar issues with FireFox (regular Windows 10) so I'm going back to 15.8 until BF Beta is out.

13. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    The best results I have ever had with the R9 380 card on this driver :)

[​IMG]

Realy nice

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's good to know :). I think there's a bug in how it handles certain things. Not very descriptive I know, but I believe the Firefox bug is related to the issue I was having with MPDN.

15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    It points to 15.8Beta, 15.9 was probably removed for now.

16. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    MadVR + MPC-HC is utterly broken, just freezes after 20 seconds of playback for me. Do you also have this issue? I've had it since 15.7 and Windows 10 release. All of the W10 driver branch basically.

MPDN works for me, but if I pause a video then it fills up my VRAM slowly and then crashes with an out of memory error.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I haven't tried MPC-HC + madVR for a while. The issue I had was only with this driver, all other drivers worked fine. It's possibly related to DXVA? I'm sure it will be fixed in the next driver!

18. SAG

SAG Active Member

GPU:
    R9 270 @1050/1400
    Having the same problems with youtube videos and sometimes the screen is black on some sites. Firefox 41 and hardware acceleration is off. Very strange.

19. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
  20. Mooby29

Mooby29 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X@1150/1500mhz
    That's so disappointing.