Nvidia will fix Async compute with driver? Will they?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Dipankar sanyal, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Dipankar sanyal

Dipankar sanyal Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970gtx 1380
    Then should I get 600w or 650w. ?

2. Michalko

Michalko Guest

GPU:
    a good one
    Just get GTX970 and you will be fine.

3. SmashedBrain

SmashedBrain Guest

GPU:
    2x970@1500Mhz
    More important than the watts written on the box is that it's a good brand. Never ever buy a noname PSU independent of it's specification claims.

A 1000W noname unit is more likely to blow up than a good brand 500W PSU.

Here are some failure rate statistics from a french hardware website (all solid brands):
    - Be quiet! 0.62%
    - Zalman 0.74%
    - FSP Group 0.82%
    - Corsair 1.55%
    - Cooler Master 1.65%
    - Seasonic 2.10%
    - Akasa 2.56%

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/934-3/alimentations.html

4. Michalko

Michalko Guest

GPU:
    a good one
    lol, Fortron and Cooler Master are more reliable than Seasonic? Good joke! :funny:

5. SmashedBrain

SmashedBrain Guest

GPU:
    2x970@1500Mhz
    Why not? Do u have different return rate statistics?

Seasonic sells probably more advanced PSUs on average. Maybe the latest tech is more susceptible to problems than the tried and tested stuff in the medium range.

Also, the PSU with the most returns (10%) was a Corsair AX1200i 80PLUS Platinum which is based on a Seasonic design as far as I know. On top of that Corsair added more features. Maybe too cutting edge ;)

Also I have a Seasonic myself but my 7 year old Cooler Master unit is also still working just fine in that old PC.

On topic:

NVIDIA can't add what doesn't exist in hardware therefore they will emulate it in software. But that will not impact performance a big deal in most games since async compute is only one of many rendering features used by game engines.

Also, the fact that NVIDIA owns 80% of the discreet GPU market will cause developers to mostly optimize for NVIDIA first and AMD second.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  6. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    You run a 8320 @ 4.6GHhz using a lot of power and for what ? performance pr watt ? and you call other people embarrassing. The single core performance of that CPU is embarrassing.
    If you opened your eyes and tried an INTEL, you would be blown away from your fanboy seat behind the monitor.

7. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
  8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's functioning fine at the moment. Compute jobs are launched after graphics job finishes. Which is perfectly within specs.

9. Michalko

Michalko Guest

GPU:
    a good one
    I have my personal experience. Forton and Cooler Master PSUs are extremely bad with cheap components. ONLY Fortron and CM PSU worth money are Aurum Xilenser and V series. AXi are Flextronics design (awful PSUs).

I recommend Corsair HXi/RMi or Seasonic Gold Series.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Is there proof that your psu died because it was a 550 watt or did it die a natural death as some units do needing an rma?

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Yeah.Its essential to buy an PSU with minim 80+ Bronze certification and ofc minim 85% efficiency.
    Gtx 970 works well with PSU 500W 80+ bronze and R9 390 with 550W 80+ Gold.
    But to be sure get a new PSU with minim 600W 80+ Gold.

12. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    my previous psu Seasonic G-550W no issue. i sold it & the user got no issue with his rig. what i mean can't survive is that it will auto reboot during high intense or run any benchmark.

his rig is consume less draw power than mine. TLDR, 550W able to run GTX 970 but for long term usage i don't think so.

c'mon ask linus stress test factory over-clocked GTX 970 with G-550 for 6 months to prove that 550W no issue.

i really doubt he suggest G-550 to run SLI GTX 780 with high intense gaming for 6 months.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRvz_IYSgM

i'll suggest getting higher power & better quality. some might not agreed with my statement then go ahead. i got nothing to lose for sharing my experience.

now my x-750 solid stable. 970 just consume slightly less draw power than 390 so don't get cheated by those reviewers. sometimes u need to experience urself. don't trust them blindly cos they only tested few weeks & the most one month only.

there's a very small margin users that use 550W + 970. i'm using my pc more than 8hrs/day.

13. ponhei9502

ponhei9502 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 770 2 GB
    Irony at it's finest.

14. lantian

lantian Guest

15. lantian

lantian Guest

lol, you do know he is right? every single i series chip is better suited for gaming, what fx is, is a high throughput high latency chip that has serious issues, I mean I went from a 5,2ghz fx 8350 to this first gen i7 @4.2ghzand every single game runs a lot better now, most fps drops have gone, mmo's are actually playable now, even with dx 12 amd fx chips still get beaten by intel i5 and hell even i3's not to mention i7, the problem for amd is that a game will always have one heavy main thread, that is why single core performance matter so much and why amd will need zen to catch up.

Back on to topic ofcourse they will patch it in,though right now i am wondering do they actually need to does it benefit anything at all, if you are not super cpu limited?

16. Dipankar sanyal

Dipankar sanyal Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970gtx 1380
    Hello everyone , I appreciate all the opinions.

This is getting near a fight.

So please tell me the conclusion. I should get a good 80+ gold 550w minimum for a secure future.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Anecdotal experience is fine, but you have no idea what you're talking about. And I strongly doubt you have ever owned R9 390.
    Even on stock clocks, Hawaii is a f*&ing furnace.

R9 390/X feature slightly improved power efficiency, but they have raised clocks for an overall increase in power consumption

http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/launch-analyse-amd-radeon-r300-serie

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Sounds like a plan. YES

19. lantian

lantian Guest

no you should get a tier one to three, psu from this list http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

20. ponhei9502

ponhei9502 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 770 2 GB
    Sure, Intel right now is definitely better for gaming in general. I said absolutely nothing about Intel not being better. However, you can still have a great gaming experience with an AMD CPU. Fanboying back and forth does not make for productive or interesting conversation and does not set a good example.