AMD R9 Fury X Could Be Impacted by Liquid Cooling Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Sep 23, 2015.

1. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Just because it's in the States doesn't necessarily mean it's trolling this isn't Apple patenting rounded corners.

2. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    That is funny, since they are the originators of the product, but maybe you've heard of Corsair. As an owner of an old Asetek, I think they did a fine job selling it. So did all the manufacturers that licensed or rebranded them.

3. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Asetek pioneered the low-budget closed-loop systems way before Corsair, Coolermaster, Swiftech, and all these others had even released any sort of AIO water cooling system. They haven't exploited anyone and are just protecting what is rightfully theirs. If you look back they have managed to sell quite a few AIO's, because for a long time they were the only one available (and as such they could charge what they wanted and the first AIO systems cost quite a bit and did not perform much better than high-end aircooling that cost quite a bit less at the time). It's just in recent years that everyone else has begun to follow suite on their idea and release their own versions of that original idea Asetek started.

Have a look:
    Asetek company milestones

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, I specifically mentioned Antec (the one I chose) and Corsair were the first closed loops I saw. I was also already educated of the fact it was the very Asetek who made the components for those two companies. However, it's only the company whose name is printed on the product who gets all the fame. Apple got the praise, Foxconn only got notoriety.

Maybe that's precisely why stores had nothing on their shelves, even if the stuff existed. Only when the later companies released their products, they weren't overpriced and thus the shops could sell them to the masses, not only to a few enthusiasts. Still today the three hardware shops I mostly use have nothing directly from Asetek. Because it probably won't sell enough to justify having it on their lists. It's a different story if Asetek makes parts for the brands that actually sell more, but the identity of the contract manufacturer isn't really relevant for the end user.

5. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    I've never said, that it's just because of the States, i said that it's greater chance that it's trolling if it's in US, it doesn't mean that outside of the States same things doesn't happen, it does, but less often.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This is what you said. Care to share your insight into specifics with us? Thanks.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The US changed their patents laws to make patent trolling easier. We used to have a "first to invent" patent system. Now we have a "first to patent" system. Under the old system, you had to actually "invent" something before you could apply for a patent. Under the current system, you can file for a patent based on an idea. It doesn't matter if you have the resources to actually "invent" it or not. Basically, we switched from an "inventor friendly" system to a "patent troll friendly" system. The old system favored "inventors" whereas the current system favors big businesses like Apple and Rambus. Under the old system, Rambus and Apple would never be able to sue anyone for patent infringement.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Fury x available on newegg, thread title turned out to be wrong I guess.

9. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Your last quote of mine doesn't say anything about the states. I'm saying that because of your last quote. What insight do you want sir? We're adults, you should already understand my point.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Insight into info that would warrant calling Asetek's lawsuit patent trolling?