Recent Nvidia Drivers are the cause of your hitching/stuttering in games.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Hunter the 780 is a cut GPU as well. Just in case you thought you bought the best. The only game I've ever had horrid stuttering in was Watch_Dogs. Guess what my 780 had the same if not worse stuttering. Has Nvidia had some bad drivers? Hell yes. A lot lately it seems. But bro you need to get over your obsession with the GK104. It's borderline unhealthy.

The thread you linked was early drivers for the Kepler cards. The Titan wasn't even out yet. That issue was resolved. It was a Vsync related stutter iirc.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    lol dude, there is no obsession I just think GK104 was a **** chip is all, too much driver depended like any Gxx04 chip so far, but thanks for pinpointing on my old nickname for some reason.

Ps maybe you're as bit obsessed @ nvidia in general by defending it the way you always do or your fellow companion for that matter.

I'm done with you two for good, not worth arguing over and over again, back on ignore.
    Have a nice day.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Alright, good to know. Guess that's just PC gaming these days. Annoying stutter in half the games being released. Doubly stupid if you run 120Hz like I do. Then again, maybe that's the issue. Any of you guys also running 120 or 144Hz?

Also, quit arguing about nothing you guys. Let's not crap up this thread. TJ was actually trying to be helpful and was suggesting something that he thinks is relevant. No need to dog pile.

Also, it isn't that I don't believe that 1144 isn't helping, I just want to know HOW. Like, what is Intel Technology Assist actually doing? Someone has to know.

4. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    I really wish I knew what "stutter" people are referring too. Probably I don't release it. I have no idea. I haven't experienced any stutter that can't be attributed too loading a level. So yeah......

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Mad Max doesn't suffer from stuttering, just this 1 sec frame-drop every 10-15 minutes(It happens in specific areas as i have noticed and it's not a major issue). It's like a ''Loading Assets issue''.

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So it seems that nobody here is actually giving a **** about fixing the thing and are here just to bash NV drivers. That's good to know.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    In my experience Mad Max stutters every time the game auto-saves, which is frequently, unless you relocate the Steam UserData folder, where this game stores its save files, to an SSD. I originally had both the game and my Steam folder (which includes UserData) on my mechanical D hard drive and could not do anything to fix these auto-save hitches until I moved that folder. The game is still on the D drive but it now runs flawlessly.

The galling thing is that the PS4 version which both streams data from and saves to a slower 5,400 rpm lap top hard drive does not stutter at all yet my D drive is a 7,200 rpm Western Digital Black (i.e. performance) hard drive!

This is not uncommon on PC though as I play a lot of games on both platforms, sometimes the same games, and I've noticed that PC games tend to be more prone to stuttering/hitching than the console equivalent which will often run smoother albeit at a lower framerate. However, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain runs at 1080p and 60 fps on PS4 without a single hiccup whereas even on my PC it can stutter rarely from time to time (it is certainly much, much better now the UserData folder is relocated).

The price drop and increase in popularity of SSDs on PC is no doubt the reason why some people claim to have little or no stutter (as proven by my own findings) and why some other people, those still using mechanical hard drives, have a lot more of it. Seens the best way to guarantee a smooth gaming experience on PC is to install games to an SSD though that is not practical for me as I have around 8-9 TBs of games installed across three hard drives and my SSD is only 256 GB (with 80 GB free).

8. SmashedBrain

SmashedBrain Guest

GPU:
    2x970@1500Mhz
    Just google SteamMover.

It's a great tool to move games (or any other directories) between different partitions/drives without the need to reinstall (or anything else besides the moving). SteamMover is using 'junctions' which is like a low level directory shortcut telling the OS that it should pickup the file data from a different location.

9. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Fwiw I think this is a really odd issue. I know how good you are at measuring this stuff. DO you think it might be w10 related? Do you install the full suite to get this performance boost or just part of it? Would be interesting to know which part (if any specific) gives the boost.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Its not auto save related. I have a twin array of SSD's for games, no mechanical is being used.

11. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeap, no issues when the game autosaves..In fact, the game runs great, just the 1 sec fps drop every 10-15 minutes, no major issue at all but i would like to know what's causing it.

12. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I'm also using a SSD (850 Evo) and getting the 1 second freezes infrequently.

13. Deedge

Deedge Guest

GPU:
    680m SLI
    Im using a 120hz monitor and it runs very well. indeed! I could never go back to 60hz no matter what.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well, I obviously cannot comment on your system but the Mad Max issue for me definitely was though, as the hitching *only* occurred when the game auto-saved, and I had the same issue with MGS V: The Phantom Pain, albeit to a far lesser degree than Mad Max as it saved less frequently. Relocating the UserData folder to my SSD fixed the issue for me (I actually moved the entire Steam folder from my D drive except for the SteamApps games folder). Mad Max no longer stutters at all and in MGS V: TPP it is now so rare (I can play for 3-5 hours and never experience it) that I consider it fixed too.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    2 or 3 pages back mk1969 mentioned it.. i think its technology access or that security part.. one of them is missing since v 11.0.0.1144. Im using latest 11.0.0.1166 now with extra parts from .1144 and perf. Is still there. Remove whole package and install just newest without .1144 parts and i get those fps drops again.

It yeah appears to be win10 specific, guess win10 has some sofisticated security implementations and something must be holding it back if that special intel service isnt installed. But so far only cryengine3 ryse of rome showed the biggest difference.

Maybe worth mentioning u4e infiltrator could too, i mean i got 39fps min vs 31fps min someone with i7 6700k &980ti is also something.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC

My list of games I've tested for stuttering:
    Dragon Age : Inquisition - Stutters at game start
    Mad Max - Starts stuttering after 10-15min of gameplay
    Diablo 3 - This game has always stuttered for me on two totally different system since launch but seems to work pretty well with ULMB. Think it's a G-sync issue
    TERA Online - Some stuttering but this is due to improper game optimisation and flash based UI
    Victor Vran - No stuttering
    World of Warcraft - No stuttering
    Assassins Creed : Rogue - No stuttering
    GTA V - No stuttering
    Witcher 3 - No stuttering

My stuttering of Dragon Age : Inquisition and Mad Max is resolved by setting app priority - High after game launch.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Has anyone actually tried putting their card in MSI mode? I do this every driver install(batch file)

18. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    No stutters here butter smooth, with latest drivers nothing overclocked atm maybe thats causing stutters guys ?

Just try to use your default clocks on your cpu,s and see what happens, must be a rig problem because i dont have them stutter on my rig.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    No stuttering here overclocked.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I didn't experience any stutter either, just fps/gpu usage drops in that cryenigne3 game, the game was still smooth to play but fps drops made it a bit inconsistent.

The only game that had stutter (hitching) was COD Ghosts in win8.1, but that is now butter smooth in win10.

Assassins Creed unity was always very smooth too (even with 4xmsaa), or watch dogs once they patched the game to get rid of this double texture mipmap loading bug, FarCry4 also always smooth.. But I don't have any of these installed anymore, they weren't that good anyway.