AMD R9 Fury X Could Be Impacted by Liquid Cooling Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Sep 23, 2015.

1. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    This doesn't affect the Fury X in any way.

2. sluflyer06

sluflyer06 Guest

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte 980Ti G1's
    You're either young then or haven't been into overclocking/water cooling very long. Asetek has been a MAJOR player in the cooling industry for the better part of 2 decades. They used to build&sell bolt-on ready phase change cooling units (compressor based sub zero cooling) and also had water setups and then moved heavily into water cooling and have been doing OEM water cooling on a large scales for many years now (remember Apple's Mac Pro tower with watercooled PowerPC CPU's in 2010?).

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Oh I believe you.
    It's just that when company representative says it, it usually sounds the exact opposite.

Same with Jim Keller. "Jim’s departure is not expected to impact ..."

yeah right :p

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    No that's not what I'm implying. Look at it this way the AIO cooler is more expensive and AMD would possibly have to pay into this settlement. They unofficially stop production on the FuryX and focus on Nano and Fury. Crap yields go to Fury good yields go to Nano.

This is not backed by any proof just a thought.

Keep in mind though we have already seen some fully functional Fiji chips made into Fiji Pro's. As I said, It may not be a yield issue."

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It sure as hell is not a cooler. Because this would require an ungodly amount of incompetence.
    The issue is clearly somewhere between Fiji die, interposer and HBM.

And its not the issue of (cooler) margins. AMD threw margins out of the window the moment they went for HBM and AIO.
    Fury X is a tech showcase product. Dollar here or there does not matter.
    It's a product of pride - It was never meant to be a money earner like 980 Ti

Nano being in stock does not mean much when it comes to overall Fiji supply.
    Yes Nano is everywhere in stock, but this is actually a proof of failed product (pricing).
    Because there are 4(!) reviews on newegg, and like 5 Nano's on hw forums all over the world.
    OTOH there is like ~500 980 Ti newegg reviews, and god knows how many discontinued Ti SKUs.

Focus on Nano?
    They might as well sell them from a garage in which cooler is made.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    lucky one, in here there is none of them nano even pass from "preorder" to "no more until further info"...

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    well... it did, as Apple put a phone and an iPod together or as Renault put a Turbo to an Engine the 1st to make something new... they did and you should respect that.

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    you are not so far from what reality is... the spoon patent have been grant near us despite it is one of the oldest tool of humanity.

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    The latter. I didn't even consider water cooling before I happened to spot the closed loop coolers. I don't know if Asetek sold those under their own name, but the ones I saw first were Antec and Corsair. I bet there are a lot of others like me, who would believe the difficulty of building a real, custom water cooling from basic components to be high, but a closed loop is no more challenging than any air cooler. That's why I say Asetek didn't market them properly, assuming they indeed are the original innovator.

10. Voxvalve

Voxvalve Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX3080
    Since they have supplied the coolers for both the companies you mention i would say they have done just fine,

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1574682/various-amd-r9-fury-x-to-be-possibly-impacted-by-asetek-lawsuit/30#post_24442990

12. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Patent trolling at it's finest.

13. Voxvalve

Voxvalve Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX3080
    Entities which license their patented technologies on reasonable terms is not to be considered as "patent trolls"

14. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    We understand word "Reasonable" in different way. USA is known as "Heaven of Patent and Copyright Trolling". No offense.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk, I don't see the problem.

I definitely agree that there is a fair share of US patent trolls but that term is usually in reference to companies who don't provide any tangible product related to the patent. Asetek has GPU/CPU off the shelf components that they sell and they are pretty heavily involved in the OEM server watercooling market. They also license their patents to other companies.

You could definitely argue that maybe they shouldn't have have been able to get some of these patents, but I don't see them using them unreasonably.

16. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Yeah you are right, it's my definition of "Patent trolling" which is screwed up. I also use it for patenting something crazy, like shape, working conditions, setup of tools using to create some content etc etc.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    how do you call ppl talking about things they don't know anything about

or ppl screaming patent troll! every time someone gets sued for patent infringement.

18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Sometimes, real life is stranger than fiction. There is a patent owner trying to convince the world that the set of integers does not include the number 1.

I'm not making this up:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/...owner-insists-integer-does-not-include-number

This is happening for real. Spoons and doors sound even less ridiculous that that.

19. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I see people complaining about Asetek but this is exactly same same as Thermaltake stealing CaseLabs design's. This is exactly the same: Stealing.

20. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Stupid.

People who opened their eyes? who believes that patent system is misused most of the time? Especially if event takes place in USA.