Microsoft Disables Securom and Safedisc DRMs and thus their games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Kyrat

Kyrat Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G
    Who plays 2003 games? :D

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
  4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    But you can still Install them right?

Just not run them without a NoCD Patch?

5. Terje_P

Terje_P Active Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Depends on how the game got cracked, a few scene cracks still relies on the DRM driver to be installed on the system.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    And when people complained about that when these BS DRMs were new, it was brushed off.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I still play games from the 90s on todays PCs, and actually went and rebought them on GoG. Yes, it costs a few quid more, but eventually it saves you all that drm hassle... and for a game that I've been playing since the late 90s (Master of Orion II :D), I don't mind paying a bit more because of the endless hours of enjoyable playtime I got out of it.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Another example of DRM hurting paying customers.

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I do, i even play game from last century :)

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    GoG is nice for that :) but you can get dosbox and scummVM and make them work too if you have a floppy disk W10 still handle floppy btw.

11. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia Titan
    The sooner gaming moves away from Microsoft and DX the better. Who the hell are Microsoft to say you cant play your games that you bought?

Hopefully the joint venture will see us rid of the atrocity that is DX

As Dan said perfectly from Valve:

"We think Vulkan is the future. Unless you're aggressive enough to be shipping a DirectX 12 game this year, I would argue that there's really not much reason to ever create a DirectX 12 back-end for your game. The reason for that, is that Vulkan will cover you on Windows 10 on the same class of hardware, and so much more from these other platforms."

https://youtu.be/quNsdYfWXfM

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Funny thing is, GoG sells you pre configured dos-boxes with each old game, I noticed with Master of Orion II (released in 1996 for Mac, DOS and Win95) :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Considering Valve finds the PC game market's Windows dependency bothersome for their own reasons, I'd take Valve's statements regarding any Windows component with a grain of salt.

Valve should first fix Steam's myriad and all too regular connection problems before they start to criticize the products of other companies.

14. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Actually MS disabled some rootkit-based DRMs (for example from Sony) already years ago because they were an obvious security risk. And they never liked these ones either because they modify how the system works. Sony went even further and modified some Windows system files directly.

15. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    What these DRMs have to do with DX? Vulkan game can have as much DRM as any other.

16. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    DX is not DRM. Vulkan is great but it is still OpenGL and therefore takes a lot more effort to code for. That is the main reason we do not see as many OpenGL games, MS makes DX very very easy to work with and that means less time spent coding.

Valve takes ages to make games. They don't mind spending the time because they have Steam as their main income. So Vulkan makes perfect sense for them. They get greater flexibility because Vulkan is more robust than DX12. But for developers that release games regularly as their main income, time is money and DX makes more sense. Not to mention that DX12 support on the XB1 means less effort spent on multi-platform games.

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Isn't Vulkan more Mantle than OpenGL?

18. Feneeth of Borg

Feneeth of Borg Member Guru

GPU:
    HP ENVY RTX 2080 LM
    Seeing a post like this completely rebuked on this forum makes me feel relived that /g/ hasn't overrun this place yet.

I'm going to post here regularly again, thanks guys.:wanker:

19. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    No. Vulkan is the successor to OpenGL. It requires a card that supports OpenGL ES 3.1 or 4.x with a driver update to add the Vulcan support.

AMD worked with both the Khronos Group on Vulkan and Microsoft on DX12. That is why there are many similarities in the feature sets between them and Mantle.

20. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I still play the 1999 Need For Speed III. I even have it working in Win 10 64 bit.

I also have the DVD for DOOM 3 and I know that game has SecuRom. I wonder if there are newer versions out.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Long Live DX. I haven't even tried Mantle or Vulkan and the only game I have that plays in Open GL is the original Half-Life. DX is king, the others are pretenders.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015