The argument level here is getting absurd....

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Chillin, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What the hell?

I've been watching a few threads lately related to AMD, Nvidia, and Intel; and the discussion has gone to downright trolling and flaming. People literally blasting one side or another without bringing in a supporting argument to back up their position, it's getting tiring to read.

I know I personally don't go easy on AMD sometimes, but at least I try to bring facts, or at minimum a supporting argument, into my reasoning; even if sometimes I'm not perfect or wrong. Hell, I may be sometimes guilty as well, but I try to keep any bias to a minimum. The same goes for Nvidia, Intel or others when I feel (in my opinion) they deserve it. But lately here it's just been outright "Nvidia lies or cheats!" or "AMD sucks!" with variants of.

I mean, get a grip people, it's freaking for-profit companies that are out to make a buck; who really gives a sh!t about any of them. People have turned them into "red team" or "green team" as if they are sports teams.... it's pathetic in my opinion. Seriously, if Nvidia or AMD disappeared tomorrow, is your life that unbalanced that you will personally affected by it? So why get so personal in each discussion about "your side".

And it's not just here, it's pretty much spread across most tech sites discussion/comment threads that's turning what used to be information portals into a tiring read.

Just my $0.02 after seeing thread after thread being closed or people being banned over such nonsense... I don't know if it's really about the tech field or just the fact that the internet, and the comments on it, have been really fvcking bitter and negative lately as a whole.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Most negativity I think comes from the newbies.

There has been a huge influx of people more interested in tech stuff since the uprising of (what I think is the source) Linus Tech Tips and /r/PCmasterrace. Guru3D has been mentioned a few times by Linus himself and been on the frontpage of PCmasterrace.

The average of the audience over there is between 12-14 which is what I think the biggest problem.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Dont you think people know that? Mods warning/banning members every day, every thread but nothing seems to works. Some guru3d members i respected and learned something from them back in the day now i see trolling/flaming just to make a point and bring down others.

We all love technology, we should be happy there is competition, it actually benefits us. Guru3d wasnt like this before but community here changed. You cant even have opinion this days. Loyalty/fanboyism is real.

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's absurd in my opinion.

I just recently had my second Nvidia card in a row (GTX 560) die, the first being a 9400 or something. I also have an AMD APU that I have to run at half speed just so it doesn't overheat. "Loyalty" to any of these companies is retarded in my opinion.

I mean seriously, we're stuck with these companies and what they put out (as well as their OEM and other partners). If they all disappear and have someone or something else take their place tomorrow, I wouldn't give two sh!ts, and I don't really see why someone, who hasn't bought their stocks at least ;), to give one either. These companies put out frigging transistors and 0 and 1's; that's it.

I mean some people here get honest to god offended if you say something bad... or good, about one company or another.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's that time of year.

6. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Waita minute is this true..? I always thought this site is full of grownups, like
    25+, I'm 20 and i felt little because everyone seem'd so mature here.

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    On Guru3D its most likely 20+ but i'm saying the huge influx of newer people who come here are most likely in that age group.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm with Chillin.... The fanboyism has gotten out of hand.

I own components from AMD, Intel and NVidia. They all serve their purpose. My work laptop and my Linux box are both running AMD APU's. My desktop runs an Intel CPU with NVidia GPU and my home laptop has an Intel CPU with Intel IGP. Even my tablet is Intel. I buy what fits my needs at that particular moment. I don't care what company it comes from. It could come from Qualcomm or TI for all I care. As long as it does the job I'm buying it for I don't care what company produces it. None of these companies actually care about the people buying their products. They only care about profits.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    As soon as the whole 3.5GB RAM issue with the 970 was out, it seemed that there was a new Nvidia bashing thread every day.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Two things annoy me, fanboys who say the Binatone Mk3 was better than the Mk2, and the Dutch. :p

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Believe it or not those ware gtx970 owners getting mad and disappointed. Not every nvidia bashing have to do with AMD.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    At the start there was.
    I was very annoyed at the start, then i/we realised it wasn't causing any performance issues, so stopped being annoyed.

Both sides are as bad as each other though, they see something that bothered them so they pick some random issue from the past to post, even though it's rarely relevant to the topic being discussed.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its mostly 3 regular people that usually start to trash.. I won't say any names but they know who they are.

14. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I've been watching linus lately he's funny though guru3d is pure business, maybe its true, there are small communities forming from those which are obviously younger and... you get the point, maybe we should guide them to be decent and acknowledged young ambassadors for the pc master race :p

15. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    I think, time-delay for creating a 2nd account (30days) and inflicting Restricted usage (how about limiting certain highly overused ASCII Characters such as vowels or CAPS ) based on ISP IP for a flamer/infractor could help. All 12 yr teens wont try to climb it, but I doubt all flamers are teens tbh. I think full priviledge Mods like HH does here could change this sad scenario, its hurting the whole, due to actions of a few. This way, the targetted audiences are shifted and GAMES will be dumbed down for more years. SAD. I believe thats one more of the reasons we are getting more retarded and less complex mechanics, plus it runs in circles. :(
    Thoroughly dissapointed Tech-community rep.

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yep, group think will be the undoing of our species. My team is better than your team!

With that said, if a few certain members would just report and move on instead of attacking these silly people head on, the majority of the issues would be avoided. This includes labeling anyone a "troll". If you think someone is trolling, just report. Don't engage them on their level, you will lose. Every time.

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This I totally agree with.

I used to watch Linus when he did unboxing's for NCIX and then when he started his own channel up from his garage. He had a great show, and some really good videos.

However, it's gone severely downhill from there. As soon as they started becoming popular on twitch their YouTube channel sky-rocketed with promotions, adverts, competitions, giveaways, and because of the larger audience they had to change their content to a more reviewer/entertainment channel rather than a pure PC tech channel.

I remember the day Linus started talking about smartphones and I was like.... "really? he's doing this crap now?". It is a shame, I understand he has had to "evolve" with the times due to the larger audience and he has had to try and broaden his appeal.

But honestly, his content has suffered massively from it. Just try and sit through more than 10 minutes of their weekly twitch stream the WAN show now.... its absurdly abysmal. All they do is make some of the worst cringe worthy jokes that were only funny the first time and now when they try to interact with their audience and have thing's like strawpolls they always include the option "turnip" with every answer. Now they even have a turnip t-shirt!! I mean seriously!???

I much prefer to sit back and watch PCPerspective, or Jays2Cents, or TekSyndicate, or HardwareCannucks. They all seem to have stuck to their roots and not really changed as much over the years.

18. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    I'm going to tell just like it is, i'm no fanboy here. I like AMD as well as Nvidia but both sides still has problems until this day. I pick the R9 390 due to it was price & the GPU is match with the 970 GTX. also it has 8GB of VRAM & I have a Freesync monitor so it only work with AMD GPU's.

As for the whole 970 GTX 3.5GB problem, I return the 970 GTX on Feb 28, 2015 because Nvidia promises to fix the 970 GTX issues by a up coming driver which it didn't happen because the person who wrote that post on Nvidia forum was misinform & Nvidia edit his post saying they won't fix the 970 GPU.

don't get me wrong, the 970 GTX is a great card but I didn't like when Nvidia knew about the whole thing, they didn't even tell us & when they came out saying it can't be fix, people got piss & return there GPU, like me.

@EspHack
    Don't get me started on Linus, this guy HATE'S AMD. he like more Nvidia because Nvidia send him free TITAN X or Black while AMD does not, so when they review a AMD product, it comes from there pocket when Nvidia does not.

@IcE

Yeah that why when you see Hilbert reply on a thread, you know what coming up next hahaha. I see this happen before, all you see is a letter BANNED on top of there name.

@CPC_RedDawn

Jays2Cents > Linus
    Linus is not Linus anymore, all he care about is money, money & money. Linus get free GPU's from Nvidia because you never see him using a AMD GPU because when they review a AMD product, it comes from there pocket when they review a Nvidia GPU, they get it free from Nvidia. that how it is now.

Linus has a new channel which is not on Youtube & funny thing about that is people who support Linus on YouTube are piss because the other non YouTube channel has new videos first & have to wait how many days to YouTube to get it. Linus is all about AD's now which is sad.

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Whilst I did just bash Linus's channel in the previous post I have to disagree here.

AMD did in fact send him a Fury X (that blew up on him) and he had to borrow another one from another youtuber.

I am sorry but what has AMD even released over the past few years? Apart from GPU's?

The 7000 series was released in 2011 and got great reviews from a lot of people (I owned 2 7970's my self).

The 290 and 290X were good cards but they were just far too hot to have in your case and far too power hungry. Whilst the 280 and 280x were just rebranded 7000 series GPU's.

The current 300 series are just rebranded 200 series GPU's with only the Fury, FuryX, and Nano being new GPU's.

As for their CPU department they have nothing new to offer that is compelling in the enthusiast segment just yet.

My point here is not to bash AMD, it is basically stating that they have not had very much stuff to unbox, review, or talk about in the past 4 years. Apart from APU's (which Linus has talked about and used in a few build logs) they have released nothing that has "shook" up the marketplace.

Linus has no choice but to talk a lot about Nvidia as they have had more compelling few years, with their good GPU's, but also lot of lows too with their 970 3.5GB fiasco and the recent DX12 issues too.

I love AMD with their open approach to their technology, but really when it all boils down to it they have to support free and open tech and they simply don't have the R&D budget to release their own closed off technology like Nvidia does with GSYNC, Gameworks, PhysX, and also other hardware like Tegra, Sheild, etc.

Try to compare the two companies is like trying to compare a tiger and lion, both are fierce in their own way but one lives in the desert and the other the jungle.

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yes,

Some threads become with borderline trolling out of nowhere, it happned again this weekend. I've been informed about some 'regulars' causing problems once again.

We are looking into it. Everybody gets a fair chance on these forums, often multiple times. But if it needs to be done, choices will be made to preserve the quality of these forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.