MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Confirmed, VRAM usage is currently 32-bit in AMD implementation so the maximum possible value is 4GB. Everything above 4GB is truncated. I'll extend it to 64-bit in the next version.

2. psolord

psolord Active Member

GPU:
    4070ti/3060ti/6600+
    In Ashes of Singularity DX12 the OSD does not work.

Then again not even fraps works.

Will this be fixed or are we doomed in DX12?

3. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I think DX12 support has still to be developed.
    So we need to wait a little for one of the next versions.

4. pipes

pipes Member Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4080 frostbite
    Gtx 980 ti classified

There is a problem with readout voltage in graphic card evga gtx 980 ti classified, only read and no setting offset voltage

5. blackdragonbird

blackdragonbird Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080Ti
    OSD not working for me in Cities Skylines in DX9 Mode.

Any advice where I look to find what is the problem?

It basically works only in DX11, with or without Reshade DLL, with or without Custom DLL support checked. If I check custom dll support in DX9 the game don't minimize anymore and I get heavy GPU usage and framedrops. I know the game is detected because the FPS limit is working, but the OSD dont show.:3eyes:

Using Win 10 Pro 10532, Geforce 355.84.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Nvidia 355.82 drivers

IF i have AB open all monitors are working correct, But the moment I open Nvidia inspector Memory clock speed show zero in ever monitor software, it will start showing zero and randomly show memory speed then back to 0

Open Nvidia Inspector i can reproduce the 0 for memory speed but seem to happen randomly with out open inspector

Im on Windows 10

Driver bug? AB bug? Nvidia inspector bug?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  7. Unwinder

That's documented issue of NVIDIA driver, examine NVIDIA driver's release notes:

[355.82] Memory clock reported as 0 MHz if P-state is P0. At times, same report with
    P2 P-state. [200135032]

8. roothorick

roothorick Guest

GPU:
    GTX 470 @785Mhz
    I see an exception for "ownclowd.exe" was added at some point. It's actually "owncloud.exe".

It took me forever to catch this. I skimmed over that typo probably a thousand times trying to figure out what phantom application it's picking up.

While I'm at it, suggested exceptions:

* googletalkplugin.exe
    * komodo.exe (Komodo Edit, a text editor)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  9. Unwinder

Thanks for reporting, I'll fix the typo and add new profiles to built-in list.

10. war4peace

war4peace Member

GPU:
    nVIDIA GTX970
    Hello,
    Today I have noticed I can't record video anymore from World of Tanks. I was able to record video last week.
    After investigating, I realized OSD doesn't work either under World of Tanks. After fiddling with settings, reinstalling MSI Afterburner and RTSS, reinstalling them again with cleared settings... still no OSD or recording capabilities.
    I tried multiple shortcuts, nothing happens when I press the shortcut.
    Settings for video compression currently are:
    -MJPG Compression
    -AVI Container format
    -85% quality
    -Full Frame
    -60 FPS
    -60 FPS limit
    Other applications (e.g. EVE Online) allow MSI Afterburner to have OSD and record video. So it's strictly related to World of Tanks. Not sure what changed with the game, but it looks like MSI Afterburner no longer detects it.

Any ideas how to make MSI Afterburner record video from World of Tanks again?

11. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Has it ever happened to anyone that a video capture file wasn't saved at all? I've been recording for a full hour only to find out there is no file whatsoever. I got that animated indicator rolling so I thought it was fine. The disk is perfectly fine with plenty of free space. This has happened several times in rather inpredictable way over the past two days.

12. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Ok and to add to that, recording sometimes doesn't even stop. I see that animated icon and can't make it stop. Also, no file is being created. What can possibly be wrong?

13. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    Usually these symptoms are caused by a bogus 3D process that RTSS has attached to and tries to capture, instead of the game.

To check if this is the case, click the "i" icon at top of Afterburner, scroll down to "Active 3D process" under heading "On-Screen Display server". Check what executables are listed there. (Obviously you do this with your usual gaming setup, with all the tools and applications running that you have running when you play games.)

If there are non-game executables listed, add them as exceptions to RTSS:

1. Open RTSS properties (Afterburner properties (the "cog" button) -> On-Screen Display tab -> More)

For each executable you want to make an exception for:
    2. Click the "+" at the lower left corner.
    3. Enter the executable filename (e.g. mumble.exe) (ignore folder, it isn't used).
    4. Set "Application detection level" for the file to "None".

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  14. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Ah, good idea. I'll try that.

15. war4peace

war4peace Member

GPU:
    nVIDIA GTX970
    @gedo: I have a ton of those:

Code:
    Active 3D process    : Dropbox.exe
                         : PushNoticeMonitor.exe
                         : AISuite3.exe
                         : TOTALCMD.EXE
                         : GalaxyClient.exe
                         : sldworks_fs.exe
                         : nvspcaps64.exe
                         : NvBackend.exe
                         : qbittorrent.exe
                         : OneDrive.exe

Should I add all as exceptions? Is there a way to force an application as a 3D process?
    My World of Tanks client stopped being detected as a 3D application although it most obviously is.

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yes, if you want the recording feature to work as you want, you need to stop detection for all the applications you listed within RTSS, apart from the ones you want to record.

17. Kauron

Kauron Guest

GPU:
    980 Ti
    Had G1 980 Ti since near its launch and have worked at narrowing down an issue since. And I've finally found the cause to be Afterburner. As this issue has not arisen since I've exited it for a month. And is then repeatable with it on.

It only happens whilst playing Titanfall for a while. Whether overclocked or *massively underclock below advertised specs, the game freezes after playing for a while. The frame freezes with audio continuing for only a second or two after the freeze and then stopping altogether. It happens with every recent driver. I'm currently on 355.80. The issue has happened since Windows 8.1 and I am now on Windows 10, a clean install and with the issue occurring on both installs. I am currently instead using Gigabyte's own utility to overclock my card and while it is fine, I much prefer Afterburner if this issue can be fixed.

If it's a probable fault, it might be worth noting that RTSS is not installed to be used with Afterburner as I do not need it. The Afterburner version tested is 4.1.1. If anyone needs additional information about this issue I would happily provide.

18. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    How the heck does qbittorrent get detected as 3d process?

19. war4peace

war4peace Member

GPU:
    nVIDIA GTX970
    No idea :) but it does.
    I guess it's using some sort of hardware acceleration to render buttons and progress bars and whatnot.

20. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    First off all, thank you for making MSI AB free with a bunch of usefull tools.
    I use all of them, and i record videos with the MSI AB.

Problem goes, it uses AVI/MJPG.
    Is there a possibility of MSI AB recieve H264 recording.
    I mean, you all could archive better quality with less bitrate and HDD space and power usage with less performance impact.

It could be the best thing ever seen to record with h264 free.
    My question is, the H264 have royalties to be paid or it is free and never happen to be implemented?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.