Recent Nvidia Drivers are the cause of your hitching/stuttering in games.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Sep 14, 2015.

1. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    thx for the extra info.

I still am a bit confused on how it affects game performance, because on win7, there was no default driver installation for this on my rig. there would be an exclamation mark in device manager until I installed the drivers for it manually when googling what it actually is.

But i've never once had a single performance issue in any games before or after installing the drivers.

Never tested games without this installed on win 10 though.

I have crysis 3, so once I finish mad max, i'll test and see if there's any issues on my rig.

what should i be on the lookout for? stuttering or slowdowns?

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I didn't install the whole package, driver installer only is enough, didn't test anything with Cryengine 3 though, how does it differ for you?

This is rather interesting too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_-VXz9E-w

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  3. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    In win8.x I had only driver part and Ryse Son of Rome ran great, but in windows 10 had low gpu usage drops if I turned around or by background explosions (starting level - bridge). I was like wdf is this now..

*last % number is gpu usage
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I blamed every nvidia driver since win10 official release, and I had the same IMEI driver only installed like in Win8.1. Now that I installed everything those drops disappeared. Always max gpu usage 98-99% and fps above 60fps 99% of the time, by spots where it was 40-50fps now 65-75fps.

If I removed them extra services fps drops returned e.g. 11.0.0.1144, very bizarre. I didnt disable IMEI in devicemanger to see if it eliminates it just yet, maybe I will try some day.. So far it doesn't have any negative impact by rest of stuff, so I'll just keep it as it is.

atm at openGL 355.97 driver and still ok.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

5. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Most of the time , not the driver the problem but the rig how is set up. I had the same, i learned my lesson.

6. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Dying Light ran for 15 hours without issue, Counter Strike ran for 15 hours without issue, Witcher 3 started to hitch and drop frames after only 2 hours. I don't know what it is with this game but it's my damn nemesis.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Has anyone tried running no Intel drivers at all? This includes the RST SATA driver. Neither are technically necessary, although 10 will fight with you to automatically install both of them.

8. MichaelT

MichaelT Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970m 3GB
    No intel drivers

I have neither installed the Intel MEI nor the RST drivers. I have never had any problems with this laptop either except two. Flash player gives an error when I exit Firefox, and very recent builds of Chromium 64 bit crash when I attempt to download a file, but even this only occurs with me forcing the Nvidia GPU as the Intel onboard works flawlessly. I have an Optimus system. I do use the Guru3D "SetTimerResolutionService.exe" which runs automatically at startup to lower the timer resolution. I also disable write cache buffer flushing, but I only do this because I have a laptop, so I have a battery backup at all times.
    For those of you running Windows 10, there is a group policy setting (Windows must be Pro or Enterprise edition for access to group policy) which allows you to set the timer resolution.

Michael T

9. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    That is not the latest MEI 11 (1.5mb) Firmware. 1173 is. 1167 is the latest released 5mb MEI 11 Firmware. If you built a gaming system though, you most assuredly use the 1.5mb MEI Firmware. Station-Drivers is the absolute best site for drivers. Bar none. Wiki Drivers used to be great, however from what I can find and have experienced nothing compares to Station if you want the latest drivers, firmware & BIOS.

To answer your question as well, I've never once experienced an issue updating MEI Firmware to the latest on ALL my supported systems. X99/79, Z97/87/68, P67, QM67... etc. I've never had a bad experience with any of these updates in the future. Only issue I've ever had was having to enter the OEM ID with Lenovo Laptops, even then you only have to obtain the ID & enter it into the command string along with the corresponding switch.

You should have absolutely no issues using 1173. MEI updating just allows me to scratch abother firmware updating itch. Always been addicted to flashing. Since UniFlash.

Hehe.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  10. Margusx

Margusx Active Member

GPU:
    Msi GTX970 gaming 4g
    If you guys want update firmware go to win-raid.com first to ask correct one. 1173 firmware is for skylake. So its no go for older systems. Onece you messed up chip and its not asus board you screwed.
    I screwed onece my asus maximus hero VII had to reflash with programmer whole chip to restore ME FW and stability. Since bios chip not under warranty you can play with it.

BTW i use FW Intel ME Firmware v9.1.32.1002 (1.5MB) for my board no clock isues all running smooth. At own risk that me FW supports win 10 and work great with 2801 bios on my hero VII Passmark is over 6000+ perfect

11. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Why don't people just use the driver from the manufacturers website? I doubt MEI is the cause of these issues.

12. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    Most people aren't very smart.

13. Margusx

Margusx Active Member

GPU:
    Msi GTX970 gaming 4g
    Becuse these work bad i have lot less issues if i dl these somwhere else.
    I tested with clean install asus provided its bad

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I see, thanks for the explanation.

I'll check it out, thx.

15. BNSoul

BNSoul Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 660 Ti OC 3GB
    I really don't understand people messing with their systems installing/flashing stuff when the problem has been clearly pin-pointed to the Nvidia drivers (installing old drivers and thus solving the problem is a good indication) and also immature Windows 10 builds.

16. Margusx

Margusx Active Member

GPU:
    Msi GTX970 gaming 4g
    Becuse its fun to get something work. I paid to my rig 2000 euros and yeah still have issues should i throw pc out of window because bad drivers.
    My gear is 1 year old and its still have problems like hell.

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Clearly pinned to something with which I have zero problems obviously. You may want to try to pin it to something else in your system because of that.

18. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Nvidia Drivers are 60% of where the issues come from. 355.82 is listed as game ready when it clearly isn't. 347.25 performs better on the phantom pain and this driver was released in January.

Unfortunately it has gotten so bad with Nvidia's driver performance that I've noticed this has been a problem for many months.

The MEI package isn't a Nvidia issue, it's a Intel issue and to many this a very huge performance update to games that need very close synchronization with the cpu timer. It's the technology access driver from the mei package that delivers this performance.

I stumbled upon it at asus support and drivers page and they removed it after the final release of windows 10. Biostar thankfully kept this version after many sites and even station drivers removed it.

I hope Nvidia's next driver release fixes this issue and manual g is reading.

19. GhostWind

GhostWind Active Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4GB
    In my case i don't have no problems on all my games with this drivers. i had some hitching in Phantom Pain, but i fix this turning all my settings to High settings from ExtraHigh.

20. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I love reading about people "fixing their hitching" by lowering settings. You're not fixing hitching/stuttering, you never had a true issue, you're simply lowering settings and no longer running at a variable or unstable framerate, but a stable framerate. :p