Metal Gear Solid 5 confirmed for PC

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by harkinsteven, Aug 13, 2014.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Copy and pasted from my comment in the Mad Max thread, my two cents on MGSV so far. I've only been doing side ops mainly and currently at 5% progress:

Having recently played MSGV, im really disappointed (so far) in how un-MGS it is or feels like, feels far too western and has certainly lost that mgs charm that let you know you where playing something vastly different to what else is around.

Is mgsv worthy of all the praise? Imo, mgsv's game mechanics should of been a genre and industry standard by now, so much so that it feels stale. Though that could simply be me and the fact that ever since SC:Chaos Theory, mgsv's gameplay is exactly what i wanted and imagined SC:CT's successor or any stealth game thereafter would be like and now thats its here, i've done all of this sort of gameplay over and over in my own head over the years as i day dreamed the perfect SC game.

As im playing mgsv, im thinking why the hell wasnt this made sooner by Ubisoft or Edios. It would've and should've been the perfect successor to SC:CT or Thief 4.

Thats probably what annoys me most about mgsv. Its a crap mgs game, but i'll be damned if it isnt the best splinter cell game i've ever played, or atleast it would've been had i played it in 2008. Ill see it through to the end of course, but if im honest, this isnt how i imaged TPP was going to be after having played GZ. GZ felt unique somehow, yet TPP feels stale.

Also, maybe i take games to seriously, but it saddens me to know that is its come to an end. No more KojPro MGS and probably the last of its kind as well. From 1998 through to 2015, from per-pubesent to adult, I feel somewhat privileged to have been there for the show, live and in the front row.

Im gonna hunt down the MSX game after this and then play the whole series from start to finish.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    Side Ops are repetitive and nothing special!
    Go and play campaign! Missions 10, 11 and 12 are great. And finally with some cutscenes...
    You must play Spec Ops for base and equipment improvements but dont play only them!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I wouldnt bother with those versions 1&2 as they really are old in the tooth and unless your from that generation of gaming you probably wont stick with them for more than 1 hour. The other MGS games are quality though MGS 1-4...all are EPIC.

Ive kinda stopped playing MGS5 tbh, its a bit boring compared to previous games, im only 4% done and ive had enough.......next.:)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Epically bad yes.

I really like MGS1 on PS1 and its remake Twin Snakes on the GC. But MGS2 for me was a massive let down, don't know why it just lost me about half way through.

Played the 3rd on PS2 and 3DS and hated it every single time I booted it up the graphics even for those days were just horrid to look at the pixellated mess of grass that was so badly aliased it wasn't even funny, not to mention its grey, greyer, with a hint of brown colour scheme.

Never bothered with 4 as I wasn't up to scratch on the story, which for me is some of the worst story telling of any game franchise ever, it is so over the top, with probably some of the worst "Z movie" dialogue I have ever heard in my life.

Although for sheer fun and gameplay wise alone I might pick up MGSV when its like £10 on steam (in about 4 years that is).

Honestly not bashing, just stating my opinion on the series. I see its appeal and why people like it. Very glad to hear PC gamers and fans of the series got a good port.

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    its a slog, but it dangles the odd cutscene to make you want to just finish it, im 7% of the way through it lol.

6. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Just finished chapter 1 and I'm 53 hours in! Love this game so much, it's rare a game lives up to the hype but this is beyond what I thought the game would be. Best SP game I've played in a long time.

7. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I love how you can go all James Bond with smoke grenades & sandstorms covering your speedruns into any location and rescue prisoners, while blowing up the air radar, ordering your heli to land straight in the hot zone and then defending until you can be picked up.

Love it :D

Finally got the Cargo 2 upgrade, now i can steal containers & vehicles.

Bond Tip #007: if you want to take down 2 or more soldiers at once throw a smoke grenade into them, they're helpless for about a minute and wont even fight back.

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    MGS2 took some risks that really paid off, developers are afraid to take those risks today. Personally i thought MGS2 was an excellent successor to MGS1 and MGS3 was even better. The characters and story have so much charisma its very hard not to like MGS3. I played MGS2 so much that i got the predator style camo suit, currently working through MGS3 on PCSX2 to get the same suit.

"There is really very little wrong with MGS2. Some criticize the complexity of the plot toward the final section of the game...but after further analyzations everything does truly make sense...its just alot to swallow in one sitting. Hell ive probably played MGS2 about 5 or 6 times in my lifetime and i feel like i unravel a bit more of its depth every single time i play it. So for those who played through the game once and were left scratching their heads a bit, i understand. But at least for me personally it was incredible refreshing to find a story crafted with so many layers of complexity (and consistency) that i can still enjoy it 9 years later.....and almost enjoy it MORE than my first playthroughs. A brilliant story that resonates within your soul and leaves its mark, leaving you in awe after the final credits roll.

Metal Gear Solid 2 does technically only build off the foundations of the original, but it also took the series to stratospheric heights in terms of both production values, and overall depth of experience for us the player. Above all else for me personally as a gamer, metal gear solid 2's themes of free will, controlling information, and finding something to believe in, keep the game cemented within a special place of my gaming heart forever. A game that even after everything else it accomplishes finds a way to infuse such interesting philosophy throughout the very fiber of its being. A true masterpiece."
    http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/gen...lid-2-one-of-the-bravest-games-ever-c-446637/

Yeah im not going to totally stop playing it, i ll pick it up once again, but ive gone back to MGS3 for now, want to get all the frogs:)

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    From what i've seen, gameplay wise they're quite similar to metal gear solid: ghost babel on GBC, which I quite liked, any experience with both?

10. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Cute as hell :)

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    she streams on twitch sometimes

12. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    anyone calling this game GOTY is delusional

i would give it a hard 8 out of 10

13. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Or maybe it's the best game they have played this year? I haven't played anything better that's for sure.

That's the funny thing about opinions, they aren't always the same.

I don't know know what your GOTY is, but I'll just say you're delusional for liking it anyway :D :stewpid:

14. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    I'd give it a solid snake out of 10

15. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    my GOTY is easily Witcher 3 which far far entertaining

MGSV is good when i play story missions but side-ops are boring as hell

2 maps that looks similar and you run around doing pretty much the same thing 90%

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The side-ops at least give you stuff to do while in free-roam mode, which IMO is the most like an open-world experience as the main mission have boundaries that warn you if you are going too far (ignore it and you instantly fail the mission).

This game is really, really awesome IMO. It's not perfect but it is just so much fun exploring the two environments and fultoning *everything* possible...soldiers, vehicles, guns...whatever I can send. I only kill if the soldiers do not have a yellow A+ or higher ranking as otherwise I keep getting staff dismissal message if I send too many people over to Mother Base. I don't like leaving them stunned as they tend to wake up which when you're exploring can be a problem.

Loving the Buddy system which so far offers four very different experiences with the horse (not particularly useful but who doesn't want to be John Wayne now and again?), dog (very useful for pinpointing enemy locations very quickly), D-Walker (cool and extremely useful against armoured vehicles) and, of course, Quiet who is terrific for sniping duties. This gives you many different ways to approach missions, making it really feel like you are the one making all of the decisions. I like to play stealthily and prior to playing this game I was never very good at it but now I am because the tools the game provides you with allowed me to learn and adapt.

Sure, the A.I. can easily be exploited due to the fact that their vision range is an unrealistic 50 metres and they usually cannot see you outside that range even if you are stood up. Still, when the alarm is triggered and they group together then they can be a very effective fighting force and I was dying numerous times until I adopted a more careful approach. This is not a simulation, it's pure arcade fun...taking cover for a few seconds heals you (rarely have I had to do this manually) and Snake can run indefinitely (and very fast!), not to mention all the ridiculous but entertaining fultoning, etc. that in no way ground this game in reality (this one any way!).

One thing that does surprise me though is how little story-telling there is compared to the previous games. There are cutscenes here and there but most only last a few minutes and are relatively sparse.

And the biggest surprise of all...

Just found out that Paz is alive and on the Medical platform...Snake met and spoke to her briefly. WTF...how did she survive when we actually saw what happened to her at the end of Ground Zeroes? Confusing...what was shown in the game almost felt like a cheat, like those old 1940s serials that used to end on a cliff hanger only to continue in the next episode with something that we clearly did not see.

A terrific game and genuinely worthy of the praise it is getting.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    No i didnt play the gameboy version although ive completed the MSX versions of the game many many years ago in the late 1980s. I purchased the MSX just for Gradius alone which was an almost perfect conversion of the Coin-op.

Although MGS is a AAA game nowadays it wasnt the case in the 1980s. There were much better games around and MGS on MSX came and went with hardly anyone noticing.

MSX was never released in Europe and most people never even knew what one was and the only reason they know today is because of how big MGS has become hence its Origin on MSX. Without MGS the MSX would have been well and truly forgotten by the majority.

The legendary Falcon flight sim series was born on the MSX also.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  18. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Strangely the MSX was sold in Ireland, my cousin had one, I thought it was crap compared to my old CPC lol

19. maddy2012

maddy2012 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Really enjoyed the experience, especially now I've got the infinity bandanna :)

Doesn't warrant the gushing praise that the review sites gave it, but well worth the buy.

I think the biggest problem i made was spending way too much time on the side-ops before i completed the main missions, so by the time i got near the end i was burnt out.

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    From my gameplay so far it most certainly isn't that.

The presentation is tiresome, it reminds me of a Quentin Tarantino movie, it's like Kojima wants to remind everyone that he knows something, that he wants to make a point but my god it is so boring and done with so little subtle that it was boring by the time it got to the end of the first chapter, and my god the Moby Dick references which where boring by the time the name Ishamael was used (about 10 minutes in to the first chapter), let alone when the flaming whale appeared... seriously I don't remember previous MGS games being quite this bad, and I will actually pay someone to get rid of those stupid credit sequences at the start and end of every mission, 'eye wear' provide by some pretentious tw*t who thought this sh*t was good, honestly who gives a f*ck. This mission stars 'Soviet Spetzna' really, really here's me and here's me not giving a f*ck.

The game also has some serious flaws, I loved how I infiltrated a base, got through unseen, fultoned the target got to a high point to check out the surroundings and see how many guards had been called in on alert, called for a chopper extract only for a guard to run to my exact spot, no warning, tons of places to go too and he somehow manages to run to my exact location.... kills me and my god do I love that you have to start right from the insertion point on reload... great!

Love how if you're on one side of a door and an enemy is on the other side and you use the grab button snake just stands there grabbing the air until you move forward...

Love the stupid controls when you are fully prone...

and most of all I am loving how Mad Max is getting a hammering despite being immediate, simple and honest fun, while the media and every man and his dog is standing in line to w*nk Kojima off over a game that so far is very mediocre amounts of fun and a huge amount of pretentious up it's own ass non sense. 'We aren't junk yard dogs, we are Diamond Dogs' a line that should have worked but it was so ham fisted in it's delivery it just missed it's mark and came across as laughable and I am guessing a lot of the story is going to be this ham fisted in your face look at me I want to make movies in it's delivery. (oh and another physic, how original!)

On the other hand it does look rather nice, in certain locals (The Motherboard looked stupidly unrealistic when you fly towards it for the first time, but the Afghan landscape looks quite impressive.)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015