Philips Brilliance 275P4VYKEB has 5K Resolution PLS Panel

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Aoyagi

Aoyagi Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290
    Ah, the only acceptable high resolution when 1080p is the standard.

3. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

6880x2880 please?... with freesync and 100hz ^^

4. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    60hz? NOPE.JPEG

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Dude this is not a gaming monitor...

6. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I am of the opinion that 27" is too small a screen size to have such a massive resolution to display. With Windows 7 or earlier the text/icons etc. would be to small as this resolution.
    Would need 30" at least and even then it would be pushing it.
    Also I presume the two Displayport requirement means the monitor is tricking the PC into thinking it is two different half size monitors in Eyefinity like mode then?

7. BD2015

BD2015 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    I have 24" with 3840x2160 (DELL UP2414Q) currently on Win10, but even Win7 was fine.
    a) The system provides DPI scaling on its own - not ideal.
    b) DELL bundles software with better DPI scaling (although it uses the system one as underlying)
    c) Using your own manifest files helps you scale it where anything else fails.

8. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    To many advances in monitors atm. Either pumping high resolution or high refresh but as the ports are a limiting factor we're not getting the best of both.

Buyers remorse is just around the corner if you buy now.

I'll wait for my 4k with 120hz as i'm sure most are.

9. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    High res! High color! Crappy contrast ratio... wait what?

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    There is no standard for contrast ratio. No standard test, no standard measurement, nothing. Every company can say whatever the hell they want about contrast ratio. One company's 1:1000 is another's 1:100000. I'm sure the contrast on this panel is far superior to those advertising far greater specs.

11. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

Well. As far as maxing out the current biggest cable we have - dp1.2...

There are two monitors coming that combine EVERY feature we could want in a single monitor. With a refresh rate and resolution high enough withing the bandwidth limits and to be considered high enough:

Acer x34 - 34inch, IPS, 3440x1440, 100hz + gsync
    Asus pg348q - 34inch, IPS, 3440x1440, 100hz + gsync

Since dp1.3 is a pathetic marginal increase. You really shouldnt expect anything better than this combination of specs for the next 5 years AT LEAST. Maybe 1600p and 160hz of that acer x34. But thats it.

Dp1.2 can do 4k@85hz already, and we have some 75hz 4k`s coming actually. Thats how a pathetically small improvement dp1.3 is gona be. And we wont get anything better than it for the following 5 years or so at least.

So, dont be feared off by "buyers remorse". If you get the upcoming 100hz 1440p widescreens you`ll have the top monitor for the next 7 years AT LEAST.

(unless they make a 5120x2160@90hz monitor really early, which is possible under dp1.3 - then you`ll be remorseful as ****)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
  12. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    sure, it will cost u, a arm and a leg (advance payment only)
    we will have it ready by next month

13. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yep, contrast is fine in PLS, my pinball games look spectacular.

14. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    That's actually great contrast ratio.

If a manufacturer takes a picture of a monitor showing just white page at full brightness, then display black with back light virtually turned off in a perfect dark room, divide one by another and call it contrast ratio, then you get 1:1000

Just follow the checker test from here:
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast_ratio.php

It's not perfect, but doable at home.
    Good luck hitting 1:1000 with a monitor advertised as 1:100000000000

15. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    Again i'm repeating myself, philips BDM4065UC , VA type with dynamic 5000:1 real measured, some 50000000:1 advertised, very high actual contrast, and no scaling issues as 4k @40" is same ppi as 27" 1440p.

Ok, it's 60hz ,but gaming very doable and lag free.

It will sure take a couple of years till anything close comes out to compete with it. My best upgrade in the last five years, upgrade itch is suppressed for a long time...

edit: done the above lagom contrast test, got 2600:1 with a crappy tablet camera and disproportional iso settings, so in reality could be higher;
    I'm using the sRGB factory mode with 100% brightness, with the default philips icm profile in windows

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

16. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    VA panels have greater contrast ratio than IPS and less black glow, but they have color shifting and other anomalies - that's tradeoff

You can also make TN panel with greater contrast than IPS, when viewed at perfect perpendicular angle.

Regarding your test - unless it's performed in super-dark room with matte black walls, covered equipment, etc, you'll get less contrast readout than monitor specs, but it'll be more real-life value. The value of 1:2600 obtained with such method is remarkable and shows that VA shouldn't be abandoned.

17. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    No anomalies here; it is not standard VA, it's a philips own panel developed specificaly for performance and for specific targets, also it does 10 bit color just fine with MADvr renderer, using some sort of frame rate control technology; even though officialy it is 8 bit only

edit: Also easily does 4:4:4 chroma @4k @60hz (@40") ; show me another monitor which does that and I'll eat my hat

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015