Asus ROG Swift PG279Q Gets 165Hz Refresh Rate

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    This new PG279Q models still comes with a TN Film panel with support for NVIDIA G-sync, including the useful ULMB motion blur reduction mode. The refresh rate now is a 165Hz maximum refresh rate....

Asus ROG Swift PG279Q Gets 165Hz Refresh Rate

2. Sevuz

Sevuz Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070
    TN? I thought it would come with IPS

3. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    I hope that TN is a typo.

4. Nyralim

Nyralim Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X OC/ 8192 MB
    Come on Guys. Don't complain. TN is absolutely is fine! I would buy this monitor without second thought, if I had the money of course.

5. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    TN Film panels with 178/178 viewing angles?
    Any words on the release date?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  6. Sevuz

Sevuz Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070
    So do I

7. Sevuz

Sevuz Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070
    Trust me if you have a good IPS monitor you wil never touch a TN panel monitor ever again

8. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    But TN is so yesterday. Besides that, i need good color reproduction and IPS just does that better.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So then buy an IPS monitor?

Like I agree that IPS is better but im really getting sick of people crying in every thread about IPS. The vast majority of people don't give a **** about what panel type they are using. Obviously ASUS doesn't have an IPS panel that can hit 165hz and some people may find that useful or a better selling point than IPS.

10. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    I'd really like to do a total blind study on TN vs IPS, humans have a real habit of being heard animals and I wouldn't be surprised to see that majority couldn't tell the difference between TN and IPS. Would also be great for looking at response rates and stuff.

Would be interesting at the very least

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It would be interesting, but I honestly think it's one of those things where once you know the technology's flaws they become very apparent. Like if I sat my mother in front of a TN panel and IPS panel and told her "can you see the difference" she probably would say no. But then if I told her to change positions in the seat and look for color shifting on both, she'd probably immediately notice. The problem is most people who know of both technologies know the difference and know what to look for. People who don't know monitors, won't.

Having owned a ASUS Rog SWIFT since launch and a XB270HU since launch, the IPS in the XB is just better yet the Swift is considered one of the best TN's. IPS has a glow, yeah, but the Swift literally has color shifting across the screen due to it's 27" size.

I also personally hated the AG Coating on the Swift + the first frame contrast issue (inversion), but those aren't TN problems.

12. Bajsburk

Bajsburk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980
    TFT central:

Can't post link due to not having enough posts, but it's in their current news section.

13. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is actually a couple different places reporting it as being IPS. Supposedly the panel is natively 144hz but ASUS is overclocking it + the G-Sync module.

That's from Computex though, back in June. They originally said it was going to be a 144hz monitor but are saying they can OC it now.

15. Sevuz

Sevuz Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070
    I made a little test with myself here the other day. I toke my old Benq 27'inch, TN, 1080p with 60hz vs my Acer XB27HU.

1. 100Hz (can go 144hz) great in games? YES

2. Better blackness and color with IPS? YES

I know there is good TN monitors out there and that IPS can seems like the rich kid club toy. But I will say that IPS and PLS is better. How much? I think it depends on the person sitting infront of the monitors.

I made a test where I work last year. I replaced our TN monitors with some new PLS (IPS and PLS pretty much does the same) monitors and a week later gave them the old TN back. They wanted the PLS monitors back after 10 min ;)

16. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    My kids who are 4 and 6 can tell the difference between IPS and TN without me saying anything.

They play Minecraft and they always asked me to lower the monitor down for them compared to the height I normally have it. When I asked why they wanted me to lower it down all the time they said because the screen is too dark and it's alot better and brighter when it's lower down for them.

It's not a problem for me though as the swift has 8bit colour TN that I sit DIRECTLY in front of so it's no problem. Colour is as good as any IPS I have seen too.

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Viewing angle is the only difference the vast majority of users would ever notice between the two. And for most of us who sit directly in front of the monitor, viewing angles mean nothing. I would happily buy another TN panel if it had other features I was looking for.

18. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Yeah i will, because if i wanted an TN, i would buy a year ago PG278Q. Well i would not, because of the dead pixel problems.

19. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Until they bring out a 4K monitor with +120hz i will stick with my vanilla ROG Swift Monitor. Anything less would be a waste of time and money.

20. Rugburn

Rugburn Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    I'm familiar with this monitor. I just want to know when it's being released.. I'm still using an Alienware AW2310..