Stuttering in games !

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Deathshadegr, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Deathshadegr

Deathshadegr Guest

GPU:
    Hello there.

i am having a problem with my PC fro a couple of months now ..
    i am getting stuttering in almost all of my online games i am playing like , Diablo , Path of Exile , Hearthstone etc . i have already search many times around the web to find a solution without any result . Below u can see my setup

CPU : i7 4790@ 3.6Ghz (Cooling Corsair H60)
    Motherboard : Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
    VGA : Gainward NVIDIA GTX 760 Phantom 2GB
    RAM : Kingstone Hyper-X Fury 16 GB (2x8GB) @ 1600Mhz
    PSU : thermaltake 850W (i have it around 6 years dont remember the model)
    SSD/HDD : OCZ Vertex 3 120 Gb / WD GREEN 2TB

almost all the online games i am playing ,i am getting stuttering and some fps drops etc (PS : All games tested and running on the SSD Drive)

Since i notice the problem i had run a couple of test on my PC so i can tell u a bit whats going on with my system.

1st of all i tested Witcher 3 on my SSD and i got no stuttering AT ALL. So FPS drops just because this game needs a very good vga.

also if run some ram testing , and got no errors, i checked my temps with prime95 (aswell when i was playing games) and with prime95 at 100% CPU Load my temps was like each Core 84C ,80C and the rest 2 cores under 78C

i was afraid at start with those temps so i cleaned my pc from dust etc , reapplied thermal paste and notice no difference. But when i am playing games my CPU Temp is max like 65 C

Also my GPU Temps are the most thing i am worried about . When i am playing games etc most of the times is above 75C + and the maximum i saw is 80C

i did aswell testing like 3dMark and got the save values aswell

After a lot of research around the web , i found that many ppl suggeting to get LatencyMon and make some tests . So Below i am gonna attack an image with the result when i was playing Diablo At Fullscreen Windowed .

PS: i am like 70% sure that maybe my problem is my VGA and i wanna replace it with a GTX 980 . its the 1st time i am gonna invest so much monay into a VGA , so before i do that i want to make sure that is a vga problem, because i dont wanna waste money on a vga and having the same problems again :( Thanks a lot for reading my message ! I am waiting for your replies !

i.imgur.com/BYWtduy.png
    i.imgur.com/0abr2LQ.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CONCLUSION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:20:28 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name: DEATHSHADE-PC
    OS version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
    Hardware: Z87X-D3H, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z87X-D3H-CF
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
    Logical processors: 8
    Processor groups: 1
    RAM: 16335 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed: 3592 MHz
    Measured CPU speed: 1 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2571,062010
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 4,865598

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 2549,964362
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1,677667

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 398,063753
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0,166241
    Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0,209741

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 2292144
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 1
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 442,494154
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 355.82 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0,108658
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time: Wdf01000.sys - ***935;***961;***972;***957;***959;***962; ***949;***954;***964;***941;***955;***949;***963;***951;***962; ***960;***955;***945;***953;***963;***943;***959;***965; ***960;***961;***959;***947;***961;***940;***956;***956;***945;***964;***959;***962; ***959;***948;***942;***947;***951;***963;***951;***962; ***955;***949;***953;***964;***959;***965;***961;***947;***943;***945;***962; ***960;***965;***961;***942;***957;***945;, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0,327269

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 7200472
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 100
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: taskhostw.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 792
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 212
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 108116,408686
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0,007714
    Number of processes hit: 30

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 66,034974
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 398,063753
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 20,392737
    CPU 0 ISR count: 2213083
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 442,494154
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 25,597589
    CPU 0 DPC count: 6480481
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 25,868368
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 107,102171
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0,212135
    CPU 1 ISR count: 78917
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 209,944878
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 2,506103
    CPU 1 DPC count: 121994
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 22,323378
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 16,871659
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0,000452
    CPU 2 ISR count: 119
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 192,625557
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0,787389
    CPU 2 DPC count: 184174
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 27,663206
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 8,481347
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0,000118
    CPU 3 ISR count: 26
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 195,797606
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0,437984
    CPU 3 DPC count: 82539
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 20,118898
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 4 ISR count: 0
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 218,456292
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0,868717
    CPU 4 DPC count: 123203
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 22,306538
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 5 ISR count: 0
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 181,652004
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0,108330
    CPU 5 DPC count: 19302
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 31,429970
    CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 6 ISR count: 0
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 143,206570
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0,289557
    CPU 6 DPC count: 39226
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 42,665283
    CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 7 ISR count: 0
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 198,937918
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 1,556012
    CPU 7 DPC count: 149653

2. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    So a couple of thoughts:

You said it's in -online- games. Maybe your internet is to blame. Try pingplotter/

If you think your gpu is to blame, uninstall the drivers with ddu and make a clean install wiht a different driver than you were using and use it with default settings.

Sometimes reinstalling windows helps.

Maybe something in bios is wrong.

IF you think dpc is to blame read http://www.overclock.net/t/1433882/...ide-for-modern-pc-hardware-2014-r0ach-edition.

You can thoroughly check if you have a dpc problem and what is actually causing it by following this guide:

En rad:
    set _NT_SYMBOL_PATH= srv*C:\symbols*
    http://msdl.microsoft.com/downloads/symbols

Step 1) Download and install the Microsoft "xperf" tool. It's in the [Windows Performance Toolkit]. It's small, just a few megabytes. This tool will tell you what actually caused the spike you see in dpclat.

Step 2) Run the xperf tool to start watching what's causing the spikes. Open a command line console, and then type:

xperf -on Latency

Step 3) Allow the xperf tool to collect information for 5 minutes while you use your computer. After you feel you did a little monitoring, then stop it. Type:

xperf -stop

This creates a C:\kernel.etl file which is a log of the DPC's and ISR's taking place during that timeframe.

Step 4) Create a report file so you can see where the spikes came from. Type:

xperf -I \kernel.etl -symbols verbose -a dpcisr > latency_report.txt

This will create a report file called latency_report.txt in whatever folder you're in.

Now, you need to interpret this file. It shows you a list of the maximum latencies produced by each driver. A DPC of 512 means one of your drivers/devices was blocking all processing on your system for 512us. All you have to do is find the one that says "512" on it.

Here is an example of one of my report.txt's:

In this case, dxgkrnl.sys is an Nvidia mobile GPU driver, and its power management is causing massive latency spikes in the system.

Looking forward to hearing your results if you have 10 mins to test this.

If anybody else can test this too, it would be awesome. I think these EVGA boards are high quality in the latency department, we just gotta find the device that's throwing the spikes.

Thanks a million,
    - Nolay

Now, this ofc doesn't mean your gpu/cpu is not to blaim. Use a program like msi afterburner of hwinfo or howmonitor to check if your cpu/gpu usage is 90+%.

Just a few things before you buy an expensive gpu. Btw I would probably get a 780 ti second hand if you are going nvidia. It's close to the same performance as a 980 and costs a third, around 200 euros in this country.

3. Deathshadegr

Deathshadegr Guest

GPU:
    Hello my friend ! thanks for your post ! i will post your advices is later or tomorrow since its kind of late . if i stuck a bit i will reply here since my english are poor . Btw my internet connection is like 50mb down / 5 up

As i said i am worried about many things because i know stuttering maybe can be cause from many things that i dont know or understand and this is what worries my the most :p

PS : when i upgraded to windows 10 about a month ago i made the upgrade with out keeping my old files so i need to reinstall OS again right ?
    Also i find that some drivers with windows 10 (when i upgrade to windows 10 1 month ago with out keeping my old files) even though i knew it was up to date a program called driver booster 2 was like that there are new drivers for some of my devices and installed them

4. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Hello,

You are welcome. It doesnt matter if your internetconnection is 50/5, it can still be bad. Pingplotter can measure something callled packetloss for example. Maybe someone is downloading someting in your house and that can cause .. stutter.

. If you follow the instructions in my post you will find it covers most things that can be an issue. If you are not an advanced user it will probalby take a at the very minimum 5-10 hours to go through all suggestions I have done. Maybe windows 10 is the problem.

Tell us more about how exactly this stutter shows itself. Also tell us what gpu/cpu/ram you have and what games you are tryig to run. Did you change something about the time the stutter occured? INstall windows 10 maybe?

Btw, maybe you need this: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/09/01/mo...ws-pcs-to-new-ones-with-free-pcmover-express/

5. Deathshadegr

Deathshadegr Guest

GPU:
    Hello again . i dont remeber when actually it started but i was using windows 8.1 aswell when i had that problem . also my pc specs are listen in my 1st post . BTW in pingplotter do i need the Diablo 3 server ip to trace it ? because i dont know how to use it sadly :/.

Also about the other solutions i will try them maybe tomorrow since my head is fcked up after searching so many hours :/ .

PS: in the guide about DPC you posted i really dont understand how much my mouse for example as the guide says can affect it . what i mean , i am watching a lot of streamers on twitch tv for example playing diablo3 and other games using for example razer synapse (that i use for my naga) . i really cant understand how synapse maybe can make problems , and if it do for some people for example how they will use the 12 keys that is on the side of the mouse ? ( i am asking those so i can understand something

6. Deathshadegr

Deathshadegr Guest

GPU:
    For example , stuttering on hearthstone disappered when I move the game from my wd green to my ssd. And I am asking my self . Even my hdd is WD Green wgy a simple card game like hearthstone needa to be on an ssd so it not stutter at all ?

7. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    Could you also list your LCD/Monitor setup?

8. Deathshadegr

Deathshadegr Guest

GPU:
    Hello , my monitor is : LG 23EA63

9. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    I will gladly help you pinpoint this problem. I do however require you to read up on how to use the stuff I have pasted, I think that's a fair deal, don't you?

10. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Green HDDs are only 5400 rpm and have medium/low performance. They are recommended for general storage use (or running applications that you don't care about speed, so they are not for games..)

11. Deathshadegr

Deathshadegr Guest

GPU:
    Hello there . i already know that Greens are for storage :) When i moved hearthstone from the HDD to SSD the problems where solved , but not in games like diablo 3. Diablo 3 for example Stutters a bit . Not something crazy and other online games when for example i open the map , inventory etc ansd sometimes in game . but the biggest problem comes (in diablo3) in multiplayer game , there are huge FPS drops and stutterting

12. Deathshadegr

Deathshadegr Guest

GPU:
    Hello there my friend. i asked you about pingplotter how to use it because i have no idea about it . it asks me to put and ip or site to trace , i thought i need to put the diablo 3 servers ip for example (which i have no idea what is the d3 servers ip) . Or should i trace google.com for example and leave it open for 5 minutes and post the results ?

13. Deathshadegr

Deathshadegr Guest

GPU:
    I am sry for triple posting. But for me i feel a bit more confortable if i am talking live with someone and explain me step by step from skype or teamviewer for example. as i see CK the Greek is from my country and maybe he can help a bit with that ( as i said my english are a bit poor thats why i dont understand sometimes guides etc )

14. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Yes in pingplotter use the best server possible, maybe your dns:s. Actually try 8.8.8.8 as one of them.

Try all yoru games that stutter from the ssd.

15. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    You're getting stuttering in d3 because its a game that is very heavy with asset loading.

The game is constantly loading stuff from the drive, so if you have a bad drive you'll have a terrible experience with d3.

I bet that you'll find the same problem in any open world game. It's not as bad on hearthstone because HS is a simple game that depends more of your connection than anything else.

16. Deathshadegr

Deathshadegr Guest

GPU:
    Hello there . I am running Every Game on an SSD 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 . So my SSD its not bad i am sure about it . The problems i am having is in every multiplayer game like diablo 3 , Path of Exile , and other MMO's as i remember , As well in skyforge . In Diablo 3 when i am playing solo its okay with not so much stuttering but when i am joining a Multiplayer game the stutter is Real + FPS Drops like 30 mayb sometimes below . and when i play solo i hvae 130 + fps and when there are much monsters to kill doesnt drop below 40.

Anyway. The 1st Action i am gonna do is to Format my SSD and Re-Install Windows 10 and test things out

PS : For a VGA what do you Guys Prefer ? Gigabyte 980 G1 Gaming or an EVGA 980 SuperClocked ACX 2.0 . i would love to know your suggestions between those two .

17. Paehn

Paehn New Member

GPU:
    7800XT Red Devil
    Hyperthreading can also cause stuttering... Hyperthreading is not a game friendly tech.
    I would try disabling it...

Just my 2 cents.

18. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
  19. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    It's improved a lot since the first-gen i7 chips... I don't get any stuttering on my previous Haswell or Skylake chips.

But I'll agree on my old i7-860 I usually turned it off, it caused me some performance issues in Battlefield 3.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Another thing with D3 is that G-sync works really bad with it.