Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Three new updates for Win 10 available now

(KB3081449)
    (KB3081452)
    (KB3081448)

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ Extraordinary - Yeah, same here (came on to post it but you beat me to it). Two are small updates but the last one, KB3081448, is yet another cumulative update that is taking longer to download.

Wonder what they've broken now? (Note that I no longer ask what they have fixed since Microsoft seem in no hurry to fix the more glaring issues with Windows 10 in my experience but instead focus on pushing out updates for minor/lesser issues that can sometimes break other things like Explorer.)

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Ok laptop and desktop both back to W8, laptop is on W8.1 which was reinstalled from the HDD partition were it is stored, licence is activated, desktop is W8.1 pro retail and is also activated fully. :)

So looks like we are good to go, just W7 pro to stick back onto the steam box and we are sorted, do that tomorrow, 2 Pc reinstalled is more than enough for one day. :)

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol yea, same, I'm expecting each new update to undo all the telemetry blocking I've done

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    good if you do it maybe when you done,

then maybe you can explain that to me in "I am stupid and have no cluehow to do any that"
    step by step form think those "Dummy books" they sell

Cause i tried it and how no clue how to create the win10trackinglist.txt or how to create the scripts and they all but ignored me in the topic when i asked :wanker:

It took me week of looking up info still getting the info wrong to just setup a weekly reboot cron job, getting straight answer there is like pull teeth from lion not asleep.

Months alter i tried to increase my DNS max query on the router and that was much of the same.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ughh .. so annoying that there is no changelog. Feels ... roguish?

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there change logs seem to be get pushed out AFTER the updates, I find it rather stupid, they should be posted as at same time.

I would also like to have links to those change notes for the updates BEFORE i download and update them. not after the fact.

Maybe I am alone on this but I like to know what the updates/patchs etc do BEFORE i update

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ah, good to know, thanks :)

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    There is now some Support Info for the three updates that were pushed out yesterday, though why Microsoft does not make them available at the same time as the updates is anyone's guess!

Anyway, the Cumulative Update, as per usual, does not list the changes only the files and versions altered (extremely useful to someone I am sure!), another is an OOBE update and the last one is do with upgrading Windows. Nothing at all exciting and all the bugs and glitches I've discovered so far are still there.

These are the more annoying ones I've found:

1. The Start > All Apps menu still does not list ALL of my programs and apps, for example, the Creative folder only shows two files for registration and omits all the program shortcuts, including Creative Audio Launcher, etc!!! This issue was reported weeks ago and still remains unfixed. Thank goodness for Start10.

2. File Explorer still refuses to open in the same position I closed it. Instead it appears to open in a random spot on the desktop then with each closure/reopening gradually moves down and to the right! Why does it even have this behaviour for a single window? That did not happen on Windows 8.1 (and thankfully does not happen for other app and program windows in Windows 10) and is extremely annoying.

3. Groove Music still does show album art for FLAC tracks even though it supports the format. AAC is supported though and displays the art work so that is a workaround even if the file sizes are much larger. Still do not want to have to convert all of my FLAC music to AAC though.

4. The Calendar app shows a weekly reminder for an appointment I made wih Cortana that has long since expired and been marked as complete/deleted. Cortana does not show the reminder and there is (unbelievably) NO delete open in the Calendar app to remove the reminder because it's one of those stupidly dumbed down apps designed for tablet usage.

5. The Xbox One controller is not fully supported in a number of Unity engne games due to a weird left movement behaviour that makes them unplayable (some work fine in game but exhibit strange left movement behaviour in the menus). I have also come across another non-Unity game, Grandia II Anniversary Edition, that has this issue as well resulting in a rotating camera and a game that is unplayable with that controller.

This issue was reported to Microsoft as far back as January 2015 during the Technical Preview but has yet to be resolved. At this point I am wondering if it ever will be...kind of embarrassing that Microsoft promote Windows 10 for gamers and make a big thing of Xbox One integration but their Xbox One controller is not fully compatible. Although, I have not yet tried it, I suspect the PS4 controller likely works better (might try it now actually).

6. The icon corruption bug, where random icons from other games and applications appear on .zip, .txt, .doc, etc files from time to time, is still there from earlier versions of Windows (I have only seen it once but I was hoping it had been fixed for good).

Also, Windows still can not cache thumbnails properly, for example if I look through 2,000 photos then it will create thumbnails but come back later or the next day and it has to recreate them. I even used the tweak to prevent Windows from deleting thumbnails but it still eventually resets.

Windows also still has the annoying habit of changing or resetting your folder view settings from time to time.

On the plus side, Windows 10 is extremely stable and apart from the controller issue with about a dozen titles, games are generally working fine (though require the use of compatibility settings for earlier versions of Windows, e.g. Heroes of Might & Magic V). The bugs and glitches plus new issues that Windows 8.1 didn't have (the File Explorer window position thing) are nevertheless frustrating. I guess it is not always a good idea to upgrade straight away.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  10. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    This pisses me off so much, windows 8 use to do it very rarely but windows 10 seems to do it once a day at least.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont have that issue but I Keep changing Documents( one show in File explorer to My Documents and in day or 2 it reverts it back to Documents.

Side note I think Bing weather live tile going blank is fixed? or at very lest goes blank and stop update much less frequently then it use too

this error still happens on shutdown/restart. any of the updates.

Code:
    The Sync Host_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    And the issue with VCLIB 12 constantly wanting to download a update and installed and fail, when I have Firewall service disabled despite VCLIB is update and manual checks on the store dont find any updates seems fix.
    I will know in day or 2 seeing i disabled firewall service again to see if yestdays updates fixed it.

And I still DONT see and app notifications when an app is updated manually or in back ground. Store and weather apps are only apps i have set allowed to run in background/use AC notification though.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Microsoft Photo has app has just been updated again but I can see no noticeable changes and it is still as crap as ever.

I do not understand why this app only displays my pictures by date when I have thousands of images. It makes it extremely awkward to find a particular one unless I know when it is dated. Also the app does not show filenames either.

There is an albums tab but there's no way to view albums by, say, folder and alphabetical. Mine are listed as a series of a range of dates with the last one being Sunday, 2nd August 2015 (31/07/2015 - 03/08/2015) for some reason even though I have taken many game screenshots after that date.

Does this app even make any sense to anyone? It confuses the hell out of me due to its simplicity and lack of options making it pretty much useless except for seeing which screenshot I took last in the Collection section (but even then I am not sure that is quite correct...). :3eyes:

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Is there a way to disable certain notifications? I'm tired of seeing that office 365 notification every day.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Start > Settings > Notifications and actions > Select which icons appear on taskbar

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    right mouse click in action center
    [​IMG]

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Code:
    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073D0A: VCLibs 12.
    spoke to soon the above error still pops up once a day on boot, like there is "update" VCLIBS 12 is update date, yet the store want to download it and install it every day atlest according to the AUTO APP update in Task scheduler.

if I go and start Windows Firewall from disabled go to store delete said update and manual check for update it finds no update.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Solitaire is behind a paywall? or is it a different Solitaire?

I was helping a neighbour set up his new windows 10 laptop, and he wanted to know where solitaire was, I had a look, couldn't find it.. then thought maybe it was on the store as an optional thing.. and the one one the store has to be payed for.

Am I looking at the wrong one? Where is just the normal solitaire that comes with Windows? or is this legitimately what Microsoft are doing now with Solitaire?

18. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    I have the Microsoft Solitaire Collection preinstalled on my Windows 10 install, did you look for that too?

19. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Solitaire Collection is a different one and behind a paywall/advertising. The old games are no longer officially available in Windows 10 (or 8 for that matter).
    You can, however install old Windows 7 and Vista games including the old Solitaire. Search for Windows 7 and Vista games for Windows 8 or 10 online and you'll likely find a download link for them. You can even get the old 3D Pinball Space Cadet as well.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Cool.. thanks.

I couldn't find any of the old games xD